You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving to Liverpool

Mook

London, Swansea and Auckland for education and then various places around Europe for work. I live in Swansea now, because of a woman - it's a beautiful place to live, there are horrible areas and a lot of cunts like any city but it's very easy to escape from all that shite. Feels like home to me.

London, Swansea and Auckland for education and then various places around Europe for work. I live in Swansea now, because of a woman - it's a beautiful place to live, there are horrible areas and a lot of cunts like any city but it's very easy to escape from all that shite. Feels like home to me.

If they allow a man to walk around in rolled up chinos and loafers without socks, it's a sure sign of something.

• Upvote 2

As soon as I could move away I jumped at the chance. I came back after uni but within a couple of years I was gone for good.

There are certain things that I miss without a doubt but overall i'm glad I moved and where I am now (Stockton) really feels like home to me.

It's weird because if I was single, I would have no qualms with living in a city centre apartment and rocking the whole batchelor lifestyle but now I have a family I just wouldn't want to bring my lad up there.

It's hard to explain. I suppose i'm scarred by a tough childhood.

I get the point about the mentality too, it treads a very fine line. When it's good it's great but when it's bad...

• Upvote 1

Wales is a strange place. On our away travels we stopped off in Newport last season, we thought some kind of nuclear bomb had hit. We went into a pub, it had no TV and they warned us off in Welsh. Everyone was wearing Superdry clothing and gave us strange looks.

Seems Moof is actually the height of fashion in Wales, compared to them lot.

Wales is a strange place. On our away travels we stopped off in Newport last season, we thought some kind of nuclear bomb had hit. We went into a pub, it had no TV and they warned us off in Welsh. Everyone was wearing Superdry clothing and gave us strange looks.

Its only when you are forced to spend a month in a place like Wolverhampton surveying a rubbish dump do you appreciate how shit some people have it.

I'd rather live in Kinshasa.

• Upvote 1

I feel bad slagging the city off and as I said, for an outsider moving there they will only see the good side. I know a load of people who moved there with uni and either stayed or are planning to move there. People really struggle to comprehend why I would want to have left Liverpool to live on the south-coast. I guess some people are born to fly the nest and others to stay close to their roots.

I still feel like Tin-Tin like i'm on some sort of adventure living away and that suits me. That said, i'm proud as fuck of where i'm from and wont have a bad word said about the place from an 'out of towner' like Fuge.

EDIT: Kinshasa is twinned with Belle-Vale

it isn't but it should be

• Upvote 1

One thing that annoys me is how people sample a small portion of a place and then make their mind up about it based on that small experience.

I've done plenty of travelling in my time and one thing i'll never waver from is that all places have good and bad areas. Of course we all have our favourites etc but there aren't really any places that I think can be described as a pure shit hole.

If you're visiting somewhere and it feels like a shit hole, a local resident could tell you of somewhere really nice within a 5 minute drive.

That's been the case everywhere i've been.

• Upvote 3

One thing that annoys me is how people sample a small portion of a place and then make their mind up about it based on a s experience.

I've done plenty of travelling in my time and one thing i'll never waver from is that all places have good and bad areas. Of course we all have our favourites etc but there aren't really any places that I think can be described as a pure shit hole.

If you're visiting somewhere and it feels like a shit hole, a local resident could tell you of somewhere really nice within a 5 minute drive.

No Wolverhampton is a complete shithole.

One thing that annoys me is how people sample a small portion of a place and then make their mind up about it based on that small experience.

Is right.

There is good and bad in everyone.

I'm sure if you drove really fast away from Newport (highly recommended) you could be somewhere nice. Largely because you'd no longer be in Newport.

About to move back to Liverpool for the first time in 14 years as the Mrs loves the place, even though she's not from there, and all her friends are there, so I took one for the team. 

I've got mixed feelings about it really. I think my view of the city was shaped by growing up in Speke, particularly with it being the 80s, which was pretty grim in most places, but especially Liverpool, when the whole place seemed to consist of burned out tenements that stank of piss. 

I think the place has come on monumentally since then though. I've never felt unsafe on a night out in Liverpool, never seen a fight there, and it is genuinely beautiful to look at. Having worked in Bolton for 18 months going to the Albert Dock with mates at the weekend for a mooch was like a glass of Kronenberg after a 10 year stretch inside. 

Much of my trepidation now is based around living in a city again, I much preferred living in a town. I liked that I'd recognise people in the pub or the shop, even if I didn't know them, I liked the park being in walking distance, simple things like that are what I enjoyed. There's honestly no city in England I'd be particularly enthused about living in, I grew up wanting a bit of peace so hustle and bustle doesn't appeal to me. I don't like the likes of Manchester either, which looks like Leningrad if it was designed by a mental patient who genuinely believes they're Liberace  

That being said, it still has big problems. Liverpool is a 'hard' place, there's no getting away from it. Many of the people, and the kids, are outright tough and speak their mind and don't enjoy keeping themselves to themselves (you notice that a lot when you go out, most restaurants – no matter how expensive – tend to sound like a works' canteen).

So how you feel about the place will depend on how you feel about that. Me personally, I like the peace and quiet.

Also, despite trying to hold on to the image of being down to earth, there's a lot of snobbery in Liverpool. Nowhere will a kid get more shit for having the wrong trainers or clothes, or you for having the wrong consumer goods, but likewise will win no friends for having good stuff either. To an extent you can't win on that score, you'll get stick for having a shit car, but will also get stick for having a 'flash' one.  

Lastly, the way scumbags are deified is a Liverpool peculiarity. I've lived and worked in some epic shitholes, but one thing they all have in common is a scumbag is usually called out as a scumbag, in Liverpool they can be outright hero worshipped, just as the concept of being 'a grass' is considered a crime in itself. 

So yeah, the city itself has come a long way, the culture of the place still has a lot of catching up to do – it's not served by the local media constantly banging on about it being the centre of the universe and attacking all negative press it gets from the outside. Liverpool is what it is, a mid sized English city that's nicer and safer than many but not as nice and safe as others, that's all. 

• Upvote 8

Where about are you moving to Sec?

I like Liverpool, got loads of family and friends here, decent job and my mrs has a good one too so I've got no real desire to move.

However the Mrs is set on moving to somewhere quieter but still close enough for us to get to our jobs easy enough and visit family etc...

Was initially looking Hightown/Formby way but think it's going to be Aughton now, which is a really nice area to be fair.

I work with a bloke from Carlisle. When I first started he did not realize I wasn't in my office but was standing right behind him.  He proceeded to tell a cringing room of how he was beaten up in Liverpool in the 60's and if he has to listen to that scouse cunts accent for the remaining 5 years of his working life he will resign. I kissed him on his bald patch and he shit a brick.

Offers to make me coffee every day now one of the girls said he thinks I'm going to batter him.

• Upvote 3

I also go the chippy as soon as I am back.

Me, too. Chips & gravy, oh yeah!!

I'd quite happily move back if the opportunity ever came around.

I've lived in the countryside for 15 years now and, quite frankly, am beginning to get a little bored of it all.

That said, it'd be a huge upheaval

One of my work colleagues was regaling us with story of the shit (hen) weekend she'd been on in York. She then told us how years ago she'd been lifted in Kendal for having a bit of dope and concluded that she'd never enjoyed herself in England and wouldnt be in a hurry to go back again

Where about are you moving to Sec?

I like Liverpool, got loads of family and friends here, decent job and my mrs has a good one too so I've got no real desire to move.

However the Mrs is set on moving to somewhere quieter but still close enough for us to get to our jobs easy enough and visit family etc...

Was initially looking Hightown/Formby way but think it's going to be Aughton now, which is a really nice area to be fair.

Woolton mate. 

Looked at Allerton and Childwall too, always liked Allerton Road during its cinema/Woolies era, but it's in transition at the moment. Still a lot of students but they seem to be moving into town more and more, I think the likes of Smithdown will go like Didsbury in a few years and will get gentrified, wish I had the money to buy some property there. Childwall was nice but there's nothing to do, the Mrs doesn't drive so Woolton is perfect, she can pop into the village and meet her mates for a brew while I watch Top Gun in my underpants. I love the cinema there too. 

I'd like to move to the Wirral one day, virtually all my mates live there now and it's just lovely in places, like Liverpool but without the 100mph big city intensity, and it's got beaches. 

• Upvote 2

One of my work colleagues was regaling us with story of the shit (hen) weekend she'd been on in York. She then told us how years ago she'd been lifted in Kendal for having a bit of dope and concluded that she'd never enjoyed herself in England and wouldnt be in a hurry to go back again

Haha, perfect example!