You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jeremy Thorpe dies - RIP Rinka

PestiRed

Former Liberal Leader who is partly famous for transforming the liberal party from 6 MPs to a magnificent 11 MPs, and also famous for refusing a Tory coalition despite being utterly desperate, is dead.

He is more well-known as he stood trial for hiring a hitman to kill his homosexual lover. He was technically found not guilty after a farce of a trial that is still referenced in ridicule as being unbelievably biased, and gave rise to one of Peter Cook's best sketches. However he was never brought to justice for killing Rinka, the Great Dane, who belonged to his former lover. In revenge, Auberon Waugh ran for election in his constituency under the guise of the Dog Lovers Party.

Anyway, good riddance to the corrupt, dog-murdering bastard

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A great excuse to play this piece of genius

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi-agPf95M

It is a genius piece of satire although a shocking amount of it is actually direct quotes from the judge in his instructions to the jury

On 18 June the judge began his summing-up. He drew the jury's attention to the previous good character of the defendants—"men of hitherto unblemished reputation". Thorpe was additionally described as "a national figure with a very distinguished public record".[133] The judge was scathing about the principal witnesses: Bessell was a "humbug" whose contract with the Sunday Telegraph was "deplorable";[134] Scott was a fraud, a sponger, a whiner, a parasite—"but of course he could still be telling the truth. It is a question of belief".[135] Newton was characterised as a perjurer and a chump, "determined to milk the case as hard as he can".[136] The mystery surrounding the £20,000 that Thorpe had obtained from Hayward was dismissed as an irrelevance: "The fact that a man obtains money by deceit does not [prove] that the man was a member of a conspiracy".[137]

Thorpe was also not prosecuted for using political donations to the Liberal Party to pay off blackmail demands

What is it with you and being a stupid shithouse cuntfaced piece of vermin.

Any time, any place. Fuckwit shithouse bastard.

Wow!

For the record, I more or less agree that The Flaneur was being a pointlessly wind-uppy bell with his comment.  But that is a bravura display of ranting.

I believe there is a meme along the lines of "that escalated quickly".  However, I also believe it is associated with the least funny actor ever filmed, so I won't be posting it.

Serious question - What do you make of the old Liberals?  You're a Lib Dem an' all.  My councillors are all Liberals (which, I think, is something akin to the moderate politics version of the Continuity IRA).  Do you see, for example, Jeremy Thorpe as part of your tradition or part of Steve Radford's?

He is surely part of both traditions? The old Liberal Party became the Lib Dems, it's the direct successor. I don't really understand the rationale behind Radford's continuity Liberal Party, but I have no reason to doubt their liberal credetials. They even have the same anthem. The biggest difference is that they are Eurosceptic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just sick of shithouses who offer nothing more than sly digs from a position of Internet anonymity

Just cowardly bastards with no life

It's happening too often and something needs to be done about it, somebody needs to draw a line in the sand

Well that is a load of nonsense because the way you hurl insults around like you just did in reaction to a subtle joke sets you up for more sly digs.

You are a shithouse strontz you go crying to dave if you feel insulted yet come out often with posts like you just did to the flaneur. 

You also know full well that your arse would drop if someone got hold of you so get back in your fucking kennel