You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've just walked out.

lifetime fan

One of my best mates lives in Dubai, with someone he's not married to, as do plenty of their mates.  It's one of many laws out there, such as needing an alcohol licence to posses booze in your home for either yours or others' consumption, which have a blind eye turned to them in practice and are widespread.

The trick over there generally with these things is not to do anything that pisses them off, as such privileges are often quickly taken away in cases where locals and particularly officialdom are inconvenienced or given a reason to want to fuck you over.  In practice it's mostly nowhere near as harsh as it sounds, but you do have to just not act the cunt basically, and accept there are some circumstances where discretion is the better part of valour. 

People who shag on the beach and what not obviously just ask for it, but likewise, if you're keeping all your neighbours up having a party and someone calls the police, first thing they're going to do when they arrive is check who you live with, are you married, where's your booze licence, and the multitude of other laws which aren't rigidly enforced for the most part.  The no physical contact thing is great when you're there as well, it provides a legitimate excuse to keep your other half from trying to hold your hand in public without them getting in a huff.

Completely missed this!

Guess this solves your dilemma Col. You'd be banged up within 8 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Guess this solves your dilemma Col. You'd be banged up within 8 minutes. 

No wonder Rico doesn't like the sound of the law over there.

First chat I had with my mate as he drove us from the airport was amusing.  Never had someone try to read me the riot act but kind of plead at the same time.  "Please don't be you while you're here mate, alright?  Just fucking don't."

• Upvote 3

Col, I don't know you from Adam but if this landed in my lap, and I'd had the couple of years you've had, I'd be all over it.

Fresh start, away from a job you clearly loath, earning a decent tax-free wedge, and the chance to take the mutt and the missus is you want to - what's to think about?

As someone else has already said, the worst that can happen is you come home with a shedload of new experiences.

Do it.

• Upvote 2

Col, I don't know you from Adam but if this landed in my lap, and I'd had the couple of years you've had, I'd be all over it.

Fresh start, away from a job you clearly loath, earning a decent tax-free wedge, and the chance to take the mutt and the missus is you want to - what's to think about?

As someone else has already said, the worst that can happen is you come home with a shedload of new experiences and an arse like a blood orange.

Do it.

One thing I would say Col, and not wanting to be a party pooper here, but I know you have a very well developed social conscience; prepare yourself for the modern-day slavery you see all about the place.  Sure you already know all about it mate, but worth mentioning.

I've known a lot of people moan that they were second-class citizens in the locals' eyes, and that clearly seems to be the case when it suits.  However, witnessing some of the other stuff that goes on you realise how privileged second-class status is over there; third and down appears to be horrendous. 

People need to be able to stomach/turn a blind eye to it a lot from what I saw briefly as a visitor, or it would chip away.  I know it would me and did even while I was holidaying, without wanting to be pious, or piss on any chips.  For those who can switch off to it, Dubai overall seemed to offer a pretty amazing standard of living, and I don't mean that as a moral judgement on anyone else - just is what it is.

• Upvote 1

As someone else has already said, the worst that can happen is you come home with a shedload of new experiences and an arse like a blood orange.

Do it.

Well there is that possibility...