You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazon Fire TV - Plex

Sugar Ape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Well, Time Machine does a 'backups.backupdb' folder on that drive. It shouldn't matter, but it'll just eat away at your space. It shouldn't matter though, it's just a bit untidy. That might be my anal ways (you know all about my anal ways) taking over, though.

So you'll need a Films folder, a TV Shows folder, and a Torrents folder to go with it. Then set up Transmission to save the files and part files in the Torrents folder.

• Upvote 1

Well, Time Machine does a 'backups.backupdb' folder on that drive. It shouldn't matter, but it'll just eat away at your space. It shouldn't matter though, it's just a bit untidy. That might be my anal ways (you know all about my anal ways) taking over, though.

So you'll need a Films folder, a TV Shows folder, and a Torrents folder to go with it. Then set up Transmission to save the files and part files in the Torrents folder.

It's nearly backed up now ( I'm going to turn time machine off after this, I don't need it backing up daily so I'll just do it myself once a month ) then I'll start looking at Plex.

How long did it take you to get Plex up and running? I'm assuming I just download the media server and point it in the direction of the harddrive as to where I want it to sync media from?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Minutes. You do need to let it run for a while on the first launch, because it goes out and gets all the names/covers/descriptions, etc. You basically instal it, set it up by pointing it to the films folder and TV shows folders, then it searches and you're done. There might be a few incorrect matches, but they're easy to fix.

Just got it downloaded on my Mac, got the first season of Gotham, Indiana Jones trilogy, some hammer horror films and Pacific rim and '71 downloaded, sorted all the names out in the suggested order and it went on Plex in a matter of seconds.

Haven't had a chance to install the Fire box yet but I'll do it before I go to bed and hopefully won't have any problems with it. I'm going to be downloading about 2tb of stuff in the next week or two to get this bitch filled up.

Thanks for your help again, I'll report back with any problems.

I'm just waiting on the fire box to install the latest updates before I have a play round with it. Working like a dream so far on the Mac, probably won't get it on my phone as I don't watch stuff on that often but I'll get it on my tablet.

Nice!

I've downloaded over 400gb worth of TV shows and movies since Sunday. Got about 100 movies, Complete GOT, Archer, Gotham, The Strain, Fargo, True Detective etc... and I've got every James Bond film downloading in HD whilst I'm in work.

Want to get a couple of TB worth of stuff before I move.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've downloaded over 400gb worth of TV shows and movies since Sunday. Got about 100 movies, Complete GOT, Archer, Gotham, The Strain, Fargo, True Detective etc... and I've got every James Bond film downloading in HD whilst I'm in work.

Want to get a couple of TB worth of stuff before I move.

Great stuff. It's all playing nicely together?

Great stuff. It's all playing nicely together?

Yeah seems to be. It takes seconds updating whatever I've downloaded and plays fine so far. Might not stream so well on the Fire box once my internet connection drops to 17mb but we'll see.

Have you got BT fibre optic? The new place we should be moving to is getting the cabinet enabled for fibre optic in September they think; does that mean I can get it straight away once the cabinet is enabled or will they have to install something in my house do you know?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah seems to be. It takes seconds updating whatever I've downloaded and plays fine so far. Might not stream so well on the Fire box once my internet connection drops to 17mb but we'll see.

Have you got BT fibre optic? The new place we should be moving to is getting the cabinet enabled for fibre optic in September they think; does that mean I can get it straight away once the cabinet is enabled or will they have to install something in my house do you know?

You shouldn't have any problems streaming across the house, as it's internal network speeds. Even if your internet is down, it still works.

I've got 100mb Virgin. You should be fine as soon as they update their box. It's fibre to the box as far as I know, then copper the last X amount of meters to the house.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...