You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Unbelievable that we went into this season with 3 or 4 morons at the back. I can't believe Jurgen didn't remedy this.

We're half a brilliant team and half shocking. We will go nowhere until we get the defence sorted.

I find it even more unbelievable that someone at the club decided that Lovren, that painfully useless excuse of a centre back, deserved a new contract. What the fuck do they see that we don't?

Bit of a sensational headline, but the content made me laugh.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/social/joe-gomez-liverpool-team-mate/

Joe Gomez takes aim at a Liverpool team mate Dejan Lovren

Joe Gomez’s Instagram activity did not stop there and the Liverpool defender may have landed himself in trouble with a couple of likes on the social media platform.

One comment liked by Gomez went as follows: “Can you f***ing start playing centre back. I’m sick of Lovren playing in the centre.”

Dejan Lovren was widely criticised for a poor performance for Liverpool against Sevilla. The Croatian defender appeared to be at fault for the opening goal of the game.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists the defensive frailties which cost his side victory against Sevilla cannot be solved merely in the transfer market.

The Reds opened their Champions League campaign with a 2-2 draw on Wednesday night, although a series of defensive errors - coupled with a missed penalty from Roberto Firmino - gifted the Spanish club a crucial point at Anfield.

Liverpool were heavily linked with Southampton centre-back Virgil van Dijk throughout the summer, although Klopp was eventually forced to abandon a move for the Netherlands international after the Saints accused the Reds of making an illegal approach for the player.

Klopp, however, refused to blame Liverpool's early-season defensive woes on the club's failure to sign Van Dijk.

"I know you are always looking for this thing - the defence was always something being talked about: 'We didn't sign this or that'," he said.

"If these problems could be solved by one player, you can imagine we would have put all our money into it and say: 'Let's do this'.

"It is about being dominant and losing a bit of a grip on the game in all the defensive moments. There is space for improvement. We need to learn to be dominant and not give easy goals.

"It is not a general defending problem but we have to improve 100 per cent."

Liverpool fell behind just five minutes into their Champions League return after Dejan Lovren's slip allowed Wissam Ben Yedder to put Sevilla ahead with a simple finish.

Firmino levelled for the Reds from close-range midway through the first half before a heavily deflected strike from Mohamed Salah handed the hosts a deserved lead at the interval.

However, with 18 minutes to go, Joaquin Correa was allowed to equalise after Liverpool's defence switched off from a seemingly innocuous throw-in.

"It is disappointment, frustration, but that is completely normal," added Klopp.

"We are responsible for the very good parts in the game and also the not-so-good parts so you have to feel disappointed after a game like this."

Klopp is world class at protecting Edwards and co., whilst not chucking any players under the bus either. I don't have any problems with that. It is obvious where the blame lies, it doesn't need spelling out in interviews.

A voice of reason floating above a sea of absolute shite.

• Upvote 1

Klopp is world class at protecting Edwards and co., whilst not chucking any players under the bus either. I don't have any problems with that. It is obvious where the blame lies, it doesn't need spelling out in interviews.

I think that's right, No-one can seriously think Lovren is anything other than a liability. The issue I have is that this was known anyway hence the summer long pursuit of VVD so why on earth did we not try and pursue other options when Southampton warned us off, That's where fingers can be rightly pointed at the club, Going into this season with Lovren as starting CB is unacceptable  

He's let Klopp down massively after Klopp showed faith in him. lovren needs to wake up to the shit he's continually dumping on his manager by turning in shite performances.

You can't coach not being a dozy cunt out of him. Our defence and midfield need to be more switched on, concentration is key.

He's let Klopp down massively after Klopp showed faith in him. lovren needs to wake up to the shit he's continually dumping on his manager by turning in shite performances.

His clearances are fucking terrible every time he clears it about 5 yards to another player in the other team or he miss kicks it although he's not as completely useless as he's made out as the midfield doesn't help

• Upvote 1

I think that's right, No-one can seriously think Lovren is anything other than a liability. The issue I have is that this was known anyway hence the summer long pursuit of VVD so why on earth did we not try and pursue other options when Southampton warned us off, That's where fingers can be rightly pointed at the club, Going into this season with Lovren as starting CB is unacceptable

Agree. Also the contract extension he was given was a massive mistake.

Big fan of Klopp, but I have no idea what he's thinking here.

The club may have been thinking about protecting the value of their asset. Lovren with a few years left might be worth a few bob in this market, ala Sakho, especially if it is known at the club that Klopp wouldn't be wholly against a sale if the right player/s come in and/or emerge. 

However...

The way he's playing he's not showing that he is worth very much!

My general view is that Lovren is better than he has been showing us. He's nowhere near being a top player, but he's better than this. He actually looked decent at Southampton. So what's the problem at Liverpool? Well, I think more is asked of our central defenders, given our attacking bias, and Lovren is not stepping up to the challenge. He comes across as being full of confidence, but unfortunately the performance level is a good way below that. All players make mistakes, but Lovren has more than his fair share. I keep using the word jittery because I can't think of another. Whatever calm assurance Hansen possessed, Lovren has the opposite!

If Gomez can kick on he might replace him, but we all know what the ultimate solution needs to be. Hopefully we can go back in January and sign the player we need. 

The club may have been thinking about protecting the value of their asset. Lovren with a few years left might be worth a few bob in this market, ala Sakho, especially if it is known at the club that Klopp wouldn't be wholly against a sale if the right player/s come in and/or emerge.

However...

The way he's playing he's not showing that he is worth very much!

My general view is that Lovren is better than he has been showing us. He's nowhere near being a top player, but he's better than this. He actually looked decent at Southampton. So what's the problem at Liverpool? Well, I think more is asked of our central defenders, given our attacking bias, and Lovren is not stepping up to the challenge. He comes across as being full of confidence, but unfortunately the performance level is a good way below that. All players make mistakes, but Lovren has more than his fair share. I keep using the word jittery because I can't think of another. Whatever calm assurance Hansen possessed, Lovren has the opposite!

If Gomez can kick on he might replace him, but we all know what the ultimate solution needs to be. Hopefully we can go back in January and sign the player we need.

Lovren is a confidence player who relies on instinct. Rodgers signed him as a leader and organiser, which he definitely was not. Hell be okay again once he goes to a smaller club with less expectations and a defensive mindset.

We have no defensive set up at all, a terrible keeper and weak centre mids with no holding player.

I think he is terrible but our defenders don't have much chance to be honest.

Klopp has shown no competence in setting up a defence

It seems we need 5 leaders at thr back ajd a holder who know how to do it all them selves

• Upvote 1