You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace vs Liverpool (May 3 2014)

WhiskeyJar

I think the faults with the team are pretty obvious, and most people would agree that Rodgers' game management was less than perfect over the past few games. I don't think Johnson deserves all the blame for the Palace debacle - post-injury Lucas can't cover properly and Gerrard, while immense in the new role most of the time, has looked painfully nervous and always has an eye to the next attack rather than sitting back. Bit of a blessing and a curse. 

Anyway as long as we do something decent in the transfer window (at least one real first teamer), I am confident Rodgers will come back smarter, the squad will come back mentally stronger, and we are going to be one of the scariest teams in Europe playing some of the most attractive football that's been seen in quite a while. Say what you want about the crying - I know it's a disappointing moment for the club, but having players who invest themselves so strongly in their club is something I'm very happy with and I think it will translate into even better results in the future. And on a similar note, the fans' reactions singing Gerrard's name after the slip, getting behind the players during the shit moments, and even the crying - goddamit I'm proud of this club, the players, and the fans. If we can react this way during the most disappointing moments, it's going to be especially sweet when we win.

There's a time and a place for piling forward in search of goals and last night wasn't it.  

Surely it was exactly that game when we needed goals? We were three nil up with half an hour to go and looked like we could score a bucket load more. Sadly it went tits up. Maybe if coutinho had put his chance away we might have went on to score a couple more, and the title would have been back in our hands. Our owns fans were shouting attack attack attack. I was. Maybe we all got a bit carried away, but it was understandable at the time. Maybe not in hindsight though.

Ifs, buts and maybes.

The Palace match ended in a nightmare, no need to discuss that I think.

But reading papers, forums whatever the impression seems to be that we blew our chances or more or less threw away the title in this one. I really don't buy into that at all.

There are 4 possible outcome of City's last 2 games. Win+win, win+draw, win+defeat, defeat+defeat. I guess most would agree out of the four, the win+win is by far the most likely one. If I'm not mistaken only in the case of win+draw for City will our two dropped points against Palace make any difference. For the three other options us drawing or winning against Palace really doesn't make much of a difference. Unless of course the general expectation is that we could and should've beaten Palace 6-0, and that we are highly likely to beat barcodes by at least 6 or 7. (And additionally City would have to win both their games, but only by 1-2 goals)

All in all my money are definately now on City, but I really see the impact of the Palace game as more of a psycological one than anything else. No City may well go and do the win-draw combo, and prove me wrong. We'll see.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Surely it was exactly that game when we needed goals? We were three nil up with half an hour to go and looked like we could score a bucket loads

Exactly, mate. We smelled blood. We wanted 5/6 or more, just like people said on here. How could it not be the time? If the title could go down to goal difference, how can that not be the time to go for goals?

Surely it was exactly that game when we needed goals? We were three nil up with half an hour to go and looked like we could score a bucket load more. Sadly it went tits up. Maybe if coutinho had put his chance away we might have went on to score a couple more, and the title would have been back in our hands. Our owns fans were shouting attack attack attack. I was. Maybe we all got a bit carried away, but it was understandable at the time...

At 3-0 it was fine. At 3-1 it was reckless and stupid. At 3-2 i could barely believe my eyes.

• Upvote 4

at 3-2 we couldn't stop it.

You see it all the time in cup games, if teams (including 2 fresh legged subs) have momentum, they will push you. After it went 3-3 they still created another chance, as did we, but sadly it fell to Moses. better known as Victor Fucking Moses.

Exactly, mate. We smelled blood. We wanted 5/6 or more, just like people said on here. How could it not be the time? If the title could go down to goal difference, how can that not be the time to go for goals?

Once they get 1 back with 10 minutes to go, thats when you forget goal difference and make sure you bring home the points. Turning round that goal difference was highly unlikey anyway especially against a Pulis side.

Its a lesson learned in what has been a fantastic season of progress

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Once they get 1 back with 10 minutes to go, thats when you forget goal difference and make sure you bring home the points. Turning round that goal difference was highly unlikey anyway especially against a Pulis side.

Its a lesson learned in what has been a fantastic season of progress

I don't think it was unlikely at 3-0. At 3-1, I totally agree. We should have kept possession and taken the sting out.

If we were running against Chelsea i could maybe understand it. As they dont score enough. But as City have shown tonight, they score shedloads themselves. So it was highly unlikely.

Anyway its done now. We took it to the last day which is a fantastic achievement.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He wasn't kidding when he said, "There is no Plan B", was he.

The guy has gone through plans A, B, C, and D this season. He has been roundly praised for his flexibility and imolimentqtion of different ways of playing this season. I'm fucked I'd I'm going to start throwing my toys out of the pram at his head because we slipped up.

The guy has gone through plans A, B, C, and D this season. He has been roundly praised for his flexibility and imolimentqtion of different ways of playing this season. I'm fucked I'd I'm going to start throwing my toys out of the pram at his head because we slipped up.

Calm down, he was just making a light hearted throwaway comment. No need to get the chalkboard out and hit the neg button.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What drum's that, the Brendan Rodgers is capable of making a mistake one? Guilty as charged.

Do you hate Rodgers? Yeah, well I think you're a cunt for saying yes to that question.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Dear you? Why, because you asked a questioned and answered it, like a spastic? Yes? That disgusts me.

• Upvote 1