You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace vs Liverpool (May 3 2014)

WhiskeyJar

We can do this guys. We've been scoring for fun all season without really properly putting teams away in the second half. Get a few early goals and the likes of Suarez won't let up until we've got half a dozen at least.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It'd be fucking hilarious I'd we got five or six goals and City got a win by the odd goal. Narrowing the goal difference to three or four would make for a very, very interesting last day. Still think they have to drop points though.

What's the next criteria after goal diff? Goals scored or results against the other team?

It'd be fucking hilarious I'd we got five or six goals and City got a win by the odd goal. Narrowing the goal difference to three or four would make for a very, very interesting last day. Still think they have to drop points though.

What's the next criteria after goal diff? Goals scored or results against the other team?

You have a strange sense of humour.

I reckon we'll blitz these cunts right from the off. I'm actually relaxed whatever the result is. This is one of the best Liverpool sides I've watched and will only get better. I suggest all you naysayers put your feet up, grab a beer and enjoy the penultimate game of a great season. The lads done us proud.

• Upvote 2

Head-to-head

Crystal Palace have won the last two meetings with Liverpool at Selhurst Park - they won 1-0 in the Premier League in April 2005 and then 2-1 in the third round of the League Cup later that year.Liverpool have won four out of the last five league clashes between these teams.Tony Pulis is unbeaten in Premier League home matches against Liverpool (W3, D2).

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace have won five out of their last six league matches.They have kept a clean sheet in four of their last six games in the league.The Eagles have lost six out of their seven matches with the Premier League's top four this season. Their only victory was a 1-0 win over Chelsea at Selhurst Park.Their total of 15 goals scored at home this season is the lowest in the league.They have the lowest average ball possession in the league this season (37.9%), and have never once had the overall majority of possession in a league match under Pulis.

Liverpool

Liverpool are aiming to set a new club record of seven top-flight away wins in a row after winning their last six.Their 2-0 defeat by Chelsea last weekend was the first time they have failed to find the net in 26 matches, since their 2-0 defeat at Arsenal on 2 November.They have scored more goals away from home than any other team in the league this season (45) - nine more than second-best Manchester City.Brendan Rodgers' side have taken a league-high 34 points from their 18 away matches this season (W10, D4, L4).Liverpool need four more league goals to break the 100-goal barrier this season. Chelsea hold the Premier League record, scoring 103 in 2010.

A week ago this looked like being Liverpool's coronation night. Now they have to win to realistically keep their hopes alive. They can afford no more dropped points.

They need Manchester City to slip up as spectacularly as Steven Gerrard did against Chelsea. It would be dreadfully sad if the captain's stumble costs him the title he has craved throughout his illustrious Anfield career.

There may yet be a twist in City's last two games. West Ham's Liverpool-supporting skipper Kevin Nolan might have a dramatic role to play on the final day at the Etihad. It's been a season of twists and turns.

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if Palace finally sunk Brendan Rodgers. I've heard the quip: "all Liverpool need to do to reduce their goal difference inferiority to City is to hit nine past Palace and it's not as if they haven't done that before".

I was there on September 12th 1989 when Liverpool inflicted that rout - the Eagles were hopelessly naive. They're not like that now.

Nowadays there's more of the spirit of April 1990 about Palace. That was when they took on the soon to be title winners - and Alan Pardew's winner capped a wonderful 4-3 FA Cup semi-final triumph.

To set up next season, Tony Pulis will insist his team doesn't allow this one to fizzle out. Expect the home side to be fired up for this.

But can that defence really deal with the PFA Player of the Year Luis Suarez and the likely return of Daniel Sturridge, who could only play a cameo role against Chelsea?

Liverpool's need is greater, but do the players really still believe in the bottom of their hearts that the title is on? That's the crucial thing. They should win. Their quality should prevail. Suarez should be the major difference. But in this final week of a riddle of a season, I cannot fathom it out with enough clarity to confidently predict a result.

Open

rystal Palace manager Tony Pulis expects to have a full squad to choose from for the visit of Liverpool.

Midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi could return to the starting line-up after only making the bench for the defeat by Manchester City following a knock.

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge didn't train during the week because of a hamstring problem but he is still in contention to play on Monday.

Meanwhile Jordan Henderson serves the final game of a three-match suspension.

I reckon we'll blitz these cunts right from the off. I'm actually relaxed whatever the result is. This is one of the best Liverpool sides I've watched and will only get better. I suggest all you naysayers put your feet up, grab a beer and enjoy the penultimate game of a great season. The lads done us proud.

Yes. Win and we're guaranteed at least 2nd. Not only that, but we've got there playing some of the best football in our history and scored a ridiculous number of goals.

Of course it'll be disappointing if we don't win the league given the last two months, but overall this has been an incredible league campaign and the end of season DVD would be well worth a watch.

Two more games to enjoy, let's finish the season with a bang.

Little bit different going into tomorrow now not 3rd - little thing but can make a difference to team physchologically.

All we can do is win and doing so means we go into the last day at the worst level on points with city and maybe just maybe ahead of them.

I'd have taken that scenario at the start of the season. . . This isn't over yet - they are favourites, yes but we can apply pressure tomorrow, big time.

I'm not sure going all out for a huge scoreline is ideal if it is going to risk the result itself. A win by any margin will put the pressure back on City. That said, if the game is in hand at halftime or after an hour, going for a blitz of goals would be the way to go to crank up the pressure again.

Absolute all out fucking attack.

I've gone grey(er) watching us cling on and win by virtue of scoring more all season.

Tomorrow, there is nowt to be gained by holding back and just playing for the win.

Its not how we have gone about our business.

Its not really how i would have preferred to go about it, but as a fan, i rolled over and accepted it.

So i conclude....

TORA!

TORA!

TORA!

Fucking Blitzkrieg their arses, and really put the wind up the Mancs.

This is the football Rodgers wanted us to play, so fucking play it.

0-5 puts destiny back in our own hands.

Section C6 of the Premier League Handbook 2013-2014.

"If any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of points and have the same goal difference the higher or highest placed Club shall be the Club having scored the most goals in League Matches in that Season."

I think we can manage a four goal win if we really go all out on them. Unfortunately they are quite good on the counter, but if Cameron Jerome gets the chances it won't be a big problem (and there it is, a massive jinx, but I'm willing to risk it).

its not possible to just go out and win 9 nil. if it was then teams would be doing it every week. theres a reason why 4 is a common number of goals a team can score in a big win well a number of reasons really - time, chances created and chances taken.

akso teams tend to get to 3 and stop doing the good things they were doing at 1, 2 and 3 nil. I see it with my u14 team all the time. it gets to 3 nil and the discipline goes, everyone is trying to score. The other team also can come back into it and the amount of energy the team has used to get to 3 nil has to be replenished at some stage of the game. I ve seen us play one perfect half this season where we were 6 nil up with 5 different scorers but we couldnt replicate it 2nd half. substitutions also disrupt it.

some of the games we were 3 and 4 nil up this season like arsenal and everton, I wanted us to absolutely hammer them but after the mesmerising first halfs theres a combination of teams shutting up shop and us taking our foot off their necks.

in conclusion its possible but more likely against a team who try and play against us which palace wont. more likely Newcastle will but we ll either have to create 40 chances or score nearly all of the chances we do create