You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Boot Sales

Paulie Dangerously

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Jesus, haven't been to one since I was a kid. Surely eBay has damaged them a bit?

Sorry, don't know if one. Your post just brought back memories.

I knew an Irish fella who went to one. He parked his car the wrong way round and sold the engine...

It would not surprise me; the one time we did one was one of the experiences of my life. Ingliston Sunday Market will not be appearing on daytime tv, all blue skies and summer dresses, anytime soon.

Most demoralising 60 quid I ever earned

Went to one with the ex, nearly had a fight when a load of shitehawks opened my boot and started rifling through it before I'd even killed the engine.

Apparently a lack of car boot sale etiquette on my part, as completely normal and accepted procedure. Never been to another.

Went to one with the ex, nearly had a fight when a load of shitehawks opened my boot and started rifling through it before I'd even killed the engine.

Apparently a lack of car boot sale etiquette on my part, as completely normal and accepted procedure. Never been to another.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to us and then a good proportion of the apparent buyers were just sellers trying to get hold of your stuff to resell on their pitch. It makes me feel like washing in Dettol just reliving the wretched experience

• Upvote 1

We go quite a few when the weather is nice and I'm not working Sundays.

St Helens

Burscough ( you have to pay parking )

The 2 we really do though ( we live in St Helens so this tells a story ) is the one on the east Lancs past Leigh then we come back and go left at the carvery and then left for Warrington and in 5 minutes you are at the one in Warrington which is decent.

then jump on the m62 home.

Cheers folks. I'm buying, having a baby in July and we're not precious about getting bouncers etc second hand. So just want a mooch to see what's available

Unless stuff is made entirely of plastic, if you're buying for a baby, I would be.

Sorry to go all mumsnet on you but if you're looking for second hand baby stuff, you'd be better finding an NCT sale where at least its just baby stuff on sale

Pram, cot, car seat etc will be new but couples we know say there's bargains to be had. Will ensure everything is thoroughly cleaned

Apart from them, what else do you need? That's how to save money...only buy what you absolutely need. Its like weddings, loads out there trying to persuade you to shell out on shite that'll just fill up your house

Pram, cot, car seat etc will be new but couples we know say there's bargains to be had. Will ensure everything is thoroughly cleaned

Wouldn't worry about getting the pram or cot brand new, you're probably looking at the thick end of a grand right there. We paid NZ$800 for a snazzy pram, hardly used the fucker. Second hand cot is fine, just get a new mattress. Car seat I would buy new, safety issues there.

And don't forget all the peripheral (but essential) stuff like bottles, sterilizers and the like. It all adds up.

Wouldn't worry about getting the pram or cot brand new, you're probably looking at the thick end of a grand right there. We paid NZ$800 for a snazzy pram, hardly used the fucker. Second hand cot is fine, just get a new mattress. Car seat I would buy new, safety issues there.

And don't forget all the peripheral (but essential) stuff like bottles, sterilizers and the like. It all adds up.

The parents are getting us the pram, cot and a few essentials (doubt PP is going to produce grand children so they're going to spoil the wonder child)

We're picking up bits when we see them and have a big Ikea bag full of gear at the mo. If we can get a baby monitor and that jazz from a booty it'd do us

The parents are getting us the pram, cot and a few essentials (doubt PP is going to produce grand children so they're going to spoil the wonder child)

We're picking up bits when we see them and have a big Ikea bag full of gear at the mo. If we can get a baby monitor and that jazz from a booty it'd do us

I would still tell them to save their money on the pram and the cot and spend it on clothes and toys and other shit. New stuff is nice though, if money isn't a major issue. This is just my stock "Its not long since I've been through this" advice.

Neither of you superstitious then?

I never had a thing in until his nibs was born. And seriously, before you buy stuff think whether it is really necessary. I like spending money like the rest of them but not on stuff that'll never/barely get used

How big's your house? I never had a baby monitor. Never had a baby bath either