You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1,012 people per state from a population of over 300 million is hardly 'half the population.'

I don't disagree that there are plenty of poorly educated and ignorant US citizens but this is only a very small sample of the population.

Its like basing every Britons IQ on the average IQ of the S*n 'newspaper' reader.

They know how to do surveys. That's what they do.

There's a reason that it isn't 9% one year then 83% the next, as it would be if it were random.

You're basically just completely not understanding how stratified sampling works. Random doesn't mean random. It's nothing like your Sun example.

"Samples are weighted by gender, age, race, Hispanic ethnicity, education, region, adults in the household, and phone status (cell phone only/landline only/both, cell phone mostly, and having an unlisted landline number). Demographic weighting targets are based on the March 2011 Current Population Survey figures for the aged 18 and older non-institutionalized population living in U.S. telephone households. All reported margins of sampling error include the computed design effects for weighting and sample design".

It's accurate to a level of error that is not worth arguing about it for this discussion. Even a 10% deviation error (one that would see any research organisation go broke in the long term) still is enough for the figures to completely back up my point.

Richard Dawkins' Age of Reason - Faith School Menace ? (documentary) on Vimeo

more 4 documentary on Faith Schools.

watch the parts between, 20-27 minutes. This is in Britain, in a state funded school, in the 21st Century.

Well that's clearly very wrong, but we have drifted somewhat from the topic subject which I understand to be the prejudice and hatred being currently generated against all muslims due to the actions of a very few violent criminals. Psychopaths and criminals exist in all walks of life, and what is happening in the media and social media currently stinks of bigotry and prejudice to me. I will always seek to defend those in a minority which is subject to this kind of mainstream narrow-mindedness. It's a part of me I wouldn't change for the world.

Doubtless in any creed or culture there are likely to be similar idiocies to those you outline, and I am certainly against the teaching of any counter-scientific doctrine in schools, but I am also a strong advocate and defender of human rights and I think the right to espouse a certain belief in ones own life without experiencing hatred or violence is important insofar as ones actions are not damaging to others.

I am not a fan of Dawkins and his fanaticism for strong atheism. Live and let live is my philosophy.

Richard Dawkins' Age of Reason - Faith School Menace ? (documentary) on Vimeo

more 4 documentary on Faith Schools.

watch the parts between, 20-27 minutes. This is in Britain, in a state funded school, in the 21st Century.

Not really shocking that a faith school puts emphasis on a religious text.

Only question is whether faith schools should be state funded.

In my experience, most religious people I have had any contact with, be that Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, or whatever, are caring people who will go out of their way to make a difference in their communities. I say that as an atheist who thinks most of what they believe is utter twaddle.

I'm sure that's the case, in this country at least.

However, I'd note that the vast majority of gun owners will never kill or harm anyone with their weapon, yet rightly or wrongly, we still ban guns in this country because of the harm caused by a tiny minority of gun owners.

So the actions of a minority are of relevance to the value of the whole. Religion's benefits are questionable (certainly nothing that couldn't be gotten from secular sources) but its negatives are legion.

I'm not saying we should ban religion, far from it, but we should absolutely stop respecting it and not shy away from telling people what twaddle it is.

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying we should ban religion, far from it, but we should absolutely stop respecting it and not shy away from telling people what twaddle it is.

I choose a less confrontational approach, but then it's part of my job to work with local churches. They are tolerant of my atheist viewpoint and I'm tolerant of their religious viewpoint, and we all get along. I don't think turning people away from religion would be an easy win anyway. Condemning extremist propaganda is an easy win, because no-one wants that including the vast majority of religious people, who are moderate in their beliefs.

I choose a less confrontational approach, but then it's part of my job to work with local churches. They are tolerant of my atheist viewpoint and I'm tolerant of their religious viewpoint, and we all get along. I don't think turning people away from religion would be an easy win anyway. Condemning extremist propaganda is an easy win, because no-one wants that including the vast majority of religious people, who are moderate in their beliefs.

Very, very subjective. I'd actually disagree with it. The majority hold repressive views. Just because they aren't blowing people up or cheering on people who do does not mean they hold moderate views.

I was going to say I don't think non-violence and moderate are synonymous but even non-violent isn't right as I'd imagine capital punishment has strong support from the majority of religious people in the world.

I know I am quite strongly progressive in opinion but I don't think it's wrong of me to say that hacking bits off people as punishment or not allowing a woman control over her own reproduction isn't moderate.

• 2 weeks later...
You know something's wrong when the Buddhists kick off :

‘I am proud to be called a radical Buddhist’: More Burmese embracing anti-Muslim violence

You can be full of kindness and love, but you cannot sleep next to a mad dog,” Ashin Wirathu, a spiritual leader of the movement and very popular figure in Burma, said of the country’s Evertonians.

• 3 months later...

This cunt didn't waste no time did he?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/21/ukrainian-pleads-guilty-attacks-midland-mosques

Pavlo-Lapshyn-009.jpg

A gifted student has pleaded guilty to a campaign of terrorist attacks in the Midlands in which he stabbed to death a Muslim grandfather and staged bomb attacks against mosques in an attempt to murder and maim worshippers.

Pavlo Lapshyn, 25, a Ukrainian, admitted to police that he hated anyone who was not white and that he wanted to carry out a series of violent attacks to convulse community relations in Britain and start a race war.

His campaign started in April 2013, five days after his arrival from Ukraine, where he had won a prize to study engineering and gain work experience in the UK.

When the PhD student was arrested in July, hours before it was feared he could strike again, police found three partially assembled bombs in his Birmingham flat.

The Guardian has learned his terror campaign caused alarm at the top levels of the British government, with the domestic security service MI5 joining the police-led hunt.

His bombing campaign started after the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby in a London street. Lapshyn's final bomb exploded weeks later on the day of Rigby's funeral.

Police believe Lapshyn's campaign was not motivated by the murder of the soldier and that the Ukrainian acted alone.

Mohammed-Saleem-who-was-s-009.jpg Mohammed Saleem, who was stabbed to death as he walked home.

On Monday, Laphshyn pleaded guilty to all offences at the Old Bailey in London, having confessed to them during police interviews. He will be

sentenced on Friday.

Lapshyn stabbed to death 82-year-old Mohammed Saleem in Birmingham in April, then acquired materials for bombs in May. By June he had started placing homemade explosives outside mosques on Fridays, the main day when Muslims attend places of worship.

The device he planted in July, which had 100 nails wrapped around it to maximise the carnage, was aimed at worshippers at the Tipton mosque, where 300 were people expected to attend prayers.

But Lapshyn did not realise prayers that particular Friday were held one hour later, hence mass casualties were avoided. The device was so powerful it left nails embedded in tree trunks, police said.

The search for Lapshyn was the most intense hunt for a serial bomber on the British mainland in years.

West Midlands police said their inquiries showed Lapshyn acted alone, with no contact with any other group or individual in the UK or abroad

Assistant Chief Constable Marcus Beale, head of the West Midlands counter-terrorism unit, said Lapshyn was "self radicalised" and taught himself how to make bombs off the internet.

After his arrest Lapshyn told officers the attacks were motivated by his racism. He told police: "I would like to increase racial conflict" and felt a series of explosions would achieve more than one big attack.

He was explicit about his motivation for the Tipton mosque attack in an interview recorded after he was cautioned: "The purpose was to commit a terrorist act."

He said he murdered Saleem because "I have a racial hatred so I have a motivation, a racial motivation and racial hatred".

Detectives who interviewed him described him as "calm and calculated".

He even told police he carried out an attack near the mosque in Wolverhampton, which they had previously been unaware of.

Lapshyn was a gifted student who was studying for a PhD in machine building.

Social media pages belonging to him contain extremist rightwing and Nazi material. There were images of Timothy McVeigh, whose bomb attack on a US government building in Oklahoma in 1995 killed 168 people.

Ukrainian researchers say Lapshyn's social media pages contain material relating to Hitler, about contemporary Nazis, and rabidly antisemitic material.

A laptop seized by British police contained an extremist rightwing publication, The Turner Diaries, also believed to have been read by McVeigh.

Further extremist material was found on Lapshyn's laptop, plus details of planning and virtual reconnaissance for the attacks. There were bus timetables to get him to the mosques he attacked, as well as press coverage of Mohammed Saleem's murder.

Police say they found no material belonging to British groups such as the British National party or the English Defence League. Nor was there material suggesting his bombing campaign was incited by the terrorist murder of Lee Rigby on 22 May, which occurred a month before Lapshyn's first bomb attack.

The attack on the Tipton mosque, on 12 July, took place on the same day as Rigby's funeral.

Lapshyn came to Britain after winning a competition to study at Coventry University and work at a software firm in Birmingham, which also provided him with a flat at the back of its offices in Small Heath, Birmingham.

At a prize-giving ceremony he stood next to the British ambassador to Ukraine.

Police say their inquiries showed no links to groups in Ukraine. Police there had arrested and fined him after an explosion in his flat in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, which may have shown an early interest in explosives.

• 1 year later...

Read a story about these IS cunts posting pictures of them in Rome saying that zero hour is approaching. I was hungover and took me ages getting asleep. When I finally did I had a nightmare that they had infiltrated pompey and were trying to get in my house. Woke up feeling really fucking weird. I hope these cunts get wiped out soon. (IS that is not islamists in general)

Thats what you get for letting your real identity slip Stig mate.

They obviously saw the picture of you in the Celtic shirt after you got done over by them girls and thought "He's a hard knock, lets take him out first. Once he's out the way, the important strategic target that is Pompey will simply collapse."

• Upvote 1

Read a story about these IS cunts posting pictures of them in Rome saying that zero hour is approaching. I was hungover and took me ages getting asleep. When I finally did I had a nightmare that they had infiltrated pompey and were trying to get in my house. Woke up feeling really fucking weird. I hope these cunts get wiped out soon. (IS that is not islamists in general)

Not impossible this scenario if their sat nav fucks up. Imagine how fucked off they'll be that they're actually about 1500 miles away from the world heritage site they came to trash.

• Upvote 2