You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Struggling to pay rent

Adebisi

I went to the CAB as I was in town anyway and it was as I feared "try this number, they have good advice for people in your situation" not exactly what I wanted to hear but suppose I was foolish to expect them to put me in touch with anyone who would actually lend me the coin.

Spoke to a mate today who is still in the dole age and he mentioned they offer "budgeting loans" said he'd take one out if I was that desperate and I just pay him £50 a month until it's sorted. Only thing is he reckons they won't even give him half of that so it still means stumping up at least another £500.

Adebisi, Just wondering why you are so determined to get a loan to pay off your rent when everyone on here advised you strongly against this?

Also, you are you so against taking advice from CAB. They gave you a number to speak to people who could give you 'good advice,' why dont you want to find out what that might be?

And, really, dont get involved in borrowing money from a mate. It doesnt sound like he's in any better position than you if he's claiming benefit. Is it worth risking the friendship?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess it was just reading all these sites and seeing these appealing offers. Sainsburys bank or whatever it is for example, were offering a 2 year loan of 1000 paying back £40 a month at 18% APR. Maybe there was a catch or something in the fine print but it sounded too good to be true. (it was in the end as I didn't qualify due to my student status)

I suppose you're right I should just give them a ring and hear them out, just me being a fool looking for a quick fix.

This mate is seemingly all set to go to uni this year so he assures me it'll be okay and his student loan will keep him sound, bur again, you might be right. Borrowing off a mate or relative can cause problems, it's my last resort really.

Well I guess it was just reading all these sites and seeing these appealing offers. Sainsburys bank or whatever it is for example, were offering a 2 year loan of 1000 paying back £40 a month at 18% APR. Maybe there was a catch or something in the fine print but it sounded too good to be true. (it was in the end as I didn't qualify due to my student status)

I suppose you're right I should just give them a ring and hear them out, just me being a fool looking for a quick fix.

This mate is seemingly all set to go to uni this year so he assures me it'll be okay and his student loan will keep him sound, bur again, you might be right. Borrowing off a mate or relative can cause problems, it's my last resort really.

Well that is defo one of the catches.

Guest ShoePiss

How the fuck would you afford the loan and the rent you can't keep up with?

Move home/get a job/have her get a job...

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Live sex webcam feed will get you roughly 1k-2k per month.

Let us know when you do it.

Well my/our contract ends in July and I'm going into a house share with some other students to save a load and she's starting uni in Leeds and doing the same so say it was £50 a month we were paying back we'd be fine because we'd be no longer going halves on bills, we're both gonna be in houses with 4 other people. Obviously more people = more electric but as we'll be paying term-ly it's not as bad.

What about that creepy mate of yours who was texting you 100 times a day, gazing into your eyes and brushing up against your nutsack ?

If you want a loan I bet he'd give you one....

He started a bouncer the other month cos he thought he had his lighter. Got thrown out, tried to climb up a window and then ran away crying. No one heard from him for a week then he apologised and said he wasn't drinking anymore. I've managed to avoid him pretty well regardless. Think he realises our friendship has changed because he barely talks to me anymore.

Feel bad for the lad really. There was a good 50 or so people who saw him attempt to climb a window and start crying. It would have been funny if I wasn't out with the guy.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
Live sex webcam feed will get you roughly 1k-2k per month.

Let us know when you do it.

Forgot to mention that it is untaxed.

Send me a link when you start.

Guest San Don

Spoke to a mate today who is still in the dole age and he mentioned they offer "budgeting loans" said he'd take one out if I was that desperate and I just pay him £50 a month until it's sorted. Only thing is he reckons they won't even give him half of that so it still means stumping up at least another £500.

Your 'mate' is taking out a loan to tide himself over. He gives you about half (£500?) and you pay the whole of the loan for him so he gets effectively a free 500 quid loan.

You dont seem to understand the sainsbury's 2 year loan at 18% pa means you have to pay £1360 back in 24 months.

As others have said, dont take a loan to pay a debt you already can pay. You need to get down the social and plead the poverty line. I know its not nice but you need assistance.

Guest ShoePiss
Your 'mate' is taking out a loan to tide himself over. He gives you about half (£500?) and you pay the whole of the loan for him so he gets effectively a free 500 quid loan.

You dont seem to understand the sainsbury's 2 year loan at 18% pa means you have to pay £1360 back in 24 months.

As others have said, dont take a loan to pay a debt you already can pay. You need to get down the social and plead the poverty line. I know its not nice but you need assistance.

Or get a job

Guest San Don
Or get a job

If there are any fucking jobs about! There is a tory government aided by the lib dims, over here you know.

Lease is up in July? So really you are just worried about getting kicked out in the next 60 days - at this point you're landlord is in a no win, if he kicks you out, he needs to find someone immediately and is still owed back rent which (other than strongarming you) it will cost him money to pursue - you might as well work a deal with him to pay over time for some term after you have left as you seem an honest fella. Otherwise, move your stuff out one night and shack at a friends for the next 60 days.

Guest ShoePiss
If there are any fucking jobs about! There is a tory government aided by the lib dims, over here you know.

Yeah I am out of touch with the current job market but I'd expect there are low paying warehouse work and other things for students.

I worked part time all the way through university doing a pretty intensive degree. Kept me in ale and out of debt.

Guest San Don
Yeah I am out of touch with the current job market but I'd expect there are low paying warehouse work and other things for students.

I worked part time all the way through university doing a pretty intensive degree. Kept me in ale and out of debt.

Oh, you mean the jobs all the illegals and east europeans are now doing for pittance wages?

Guest ShoePiss
Oh, you mean the jobs all the illegals and east europeans are now doing for pittance wages?

No idea if that's the case but any source of income has got to be better than going with a loan.

Guest San Don
No idea if that's the case but any source of income has got to be better than going with a loan.

Not if its slave labour rates which is why I think he needs to get down the social. Agree he shouldnt go the loan route.

The number you were probably given is Shelter, give them a go.

Don't take out a loan, it'll take the land lord 60 days to boot you out and cost him shit loads to do it before then anyway. Pay what you can and just continue to send him money once the tenancy is over until the rent is cleared.

Job wise - have you checked out campsites ect? Shit money, but seasonal and you can live on site.

I went to the CAB as I was in town anyway and it was as I feared "try this number, they have good advice for people in your situation" not exactly what I wanted to hear but suppose I was foolish to expect them to put me in touch with anyone who would actually lend me the coin.

The lass is currency in the process of applying for the benefits but was told they could take time which is why I was thinking of a loan because can just see us owning more and more until she gets them sorted.

Aye this is the same girl. Spent sometime apart and realised the good times were more than worth the arguments. She's class, just gets stressed easily and takes it out on me.

No loans to pay debts! And don't get mates involved with money either. That could turn sour very quickly.

Its a shit situation, but you will get out of it. Theres always a light at the end of the tunnel even if you can't see it right now.

Not 100% but my understanding is that as a student he wouldnt be eligible for any kind of benefit.

While I advised against the Sainsbury's loan, Sainsbury's do employ a lot of students (currently supporting my son's taste for designer gear. He got a job in his gap year and then got another job with them within weeks of moving to Aberdeen. There are unskilled jobs for those with limited outgoings)