You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: “Do you want to be in the Europa League?”

Megadrive Man

Do you want to be in The Europa next season?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to be in The Europa next season?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no evidence that a team not good enough for the EL will prosper in league competition.It doesn't seem to help Wigan, Villa, Southamption much.

Winning things involves playing games, always has. Should we withdraw from the FA and League Cups too?

I thought we did this season.

I voted no, simply cos i think UEFA have totally devalued this competition, much preferred the older 2 trophies, just dont like the Europa League at all. However, it is a trophy and i would rather win a trophy than not. Think it might also be a hangover from when the owl faced twat was still here and i suffered through some dire performances on thursday nights, fuck it, can i change my vote to yes?

As long as it's there and we can't qualify for the CL, I suppoose I want us to be in it, but I won't be losing any sleep if we don't make it.

It's an appalling format they've concocted which does nothing for it at all.

Fair enough, the CL has become so big and powerful, whatever the format they chose for it the Europa was always going to play second fiddle. But if, as has already been said by others, they'd kept it as a straight knockout competition, it would have still looked like an attractive, alternative competition, different from it's big brother. Introducing qualifying rounds and group stages so it looks similar to the CL just enhances the feeling it's a poor man's version.

So what is good for you, over what is good for the club!?

I've given reason as to why I believe it may not be good for the club. I also know a good number of match going fans who feel the same way. The sentiments aren't as strong if a supporter is simply turning the telly on or uploading a stream to view the 'product' rather than getting off their arse.

As I and others have also pointed out, the bastardization of the competition with qualifiers, mini leagues and the CL cast offs has removed much of the lustre and it doesn't have the kudos of even ten years ago.

As long as it's there and we can't qualify for the CL, I suppoose I want us to be in it, but I won't be losing any sleep if we don't make it.

It's an appalling format they've concocted which does nothing for it at all.

Fair enough, the CL has become so big and powerful, whatever the format they chose for it the Europa was always going to play second fiddle. But if, as has already been said by others, they'd kept it as a straight knockout competition, it would have still looked like an attractive, alternative competition, different from it's big brother. Introducing qualifying rounds and group stages so it looks similar to the CL just enhances the feeling it's a poor man's version.

Word for word how I feel.

Improve the squad and focus on winning a champions league spot next season, without Europa distraction.

Improving a squad while only offering domestic football puts us at a disadvantage for recruitment and player retention.

Assuming that a team that did not qualify for EL football can make the leap to CL qualification is quite an ask.

Depriving Rodgers and several of the team of vital Euro experience puts us at a disadvantage for future campaigns.

This bullshit about "focus on the league without European football distraction" is still being circulated, eh?

I thought that was the plan when we first missed out on a CL spot in 2010. We would focus on the league the following season and win it. har har har.... We never finished anywhere near Top 4 since then, never mind challenging for the league.

Like United are being distracted from winning the league, by playing in Europe. Bullshit of the lowest quality.

I want us to be in europe, of course. But getting back into the CL has to be the priority. I wont be arsed if we dont get into the europa league if Im honest. It adds an extra 12 games at least and because we have a real shout at getting into the top 4 next season travelling to russia and romania 4 days before a PL will only be a hinderance.

Saying that, a trophy is a trophy and thats what LFC is all about

Voted yes. Purely because I want to see the team play as often as I can.

With my job I usually only get over to see midweek games and if we're out of it, it means I see the team play less. So i'm being a selfish cunt. So there.

Edited by ZonkoVille77
sp

This season we played 12 games in the Europa League.

If we'd won it or got to the final, then we'd have played 19 games in total.

I was speaking to two season ticket holders today, and they both said that they'd prefer we weren't in it because of the constant matches on a Sunday.

The current format is absolutely ridiculous. They should make it knock out all the way through, and also offer the winners a place in the Champions league the following season. I think this would make a huge difference and completely revive the competition.

This season we played 12 games in the Europa League.

If we'd won it or got to the final, then we'd have played 19 games in total.

I was speaking to two season ticket holders today, and they both said that they'd prefer we weren't in it because of the constant matches on a Sunday.

The current format is absolutely ridiculous. They should make it knock out all the way through, and also offer the winners a place in the Champions league the following season. I think this would make a huge difference and completely revive the competition.

Agree with all of that completely. Although if I had to choose only one of those two changes, I'd definitely rather they leave the current format and actually have the winner qualify for the CL the following year, even if only into the qualifying phase. The credibility boost it would give the Europa League would be enormous (and subsequently for all the domestic cups that would qualify a team for the EL). You'd have no more gobshite fans shit-canning a manager for daring to win a trophy at the expense of mere CL qualification, as each trophy would actually be an alternate path to the same thing. All this aside from what should be blindingly obvious that winning a trophy means that...er you are WINNING something, which is kind of the point of the game.

I really don't understand it, as UEFA are essentially rating their own second-tier European competition below some of the bit-part domestic leagues around the continent, whose winners at least get entry to the CL-qualifiers. Giving it more credibility would work every which way, as players would be more open to coming to teams who were 'only' in the EL, which would increase attendances and TV ratings and thereby the commercial revenue.

It seems like such a no-brainer, yet here we are without either of those things. Fucking UEFA. :wallbutt:

I think however the UEFA/Europa is dressed up in terms of format, won't make much difference as it will always be the poor man's CL as long as the latter's format is in place, simply because by definition it's for teams good but not quite good enough to get into to CL.

The old UEFA was probably stronger than it is today simply because the old European Cup was for champions/holders only, and of course the champions of some weaker countries wouldn't be as strong as the 2nd/3rd/4th placed teams of some stronger leagues who wouldn't be in the European Cup, meaning that arguably the UEFA's overall quality across the board would be as good if not better than the European Cup's.

That aside, I voted yes, I prefer some sort of European football to no European football. Also completely agree with the idea of giving the Europa League winner CL qualification for the following year.

Marginal 'no' for me.

Reasons against:

It would be a big distraction from what must be our primary goal - CL qualification. Don't like the playing Thursday/Sunday bit either.

Reasons for:

It is european football which is always great and would certainly give some at the club experience that will be useful when we do get back in the CL. Plus it is another trophy to aim at.

Overall the CL qualification sways me in favour of a no.