You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal or Spurs went for Dzeko

looks like Jovetic to Arsenal, quality player but once again them signing in positions they are already strong instead of focusing on areas where they are very weak, seem to get away with it every year in terms of Champions League qualification....just

Not be very good at defending probably.

Toure not a better 4th choice CB than Coates? Are you mental?

Possibly. But, Oldham debacle aside, I never really thought he was *that* bad at defending.

Kolo Toure is not very good any more, and as it would probably be his last contract and he's on a free he would no doubt want a fairly hefty wage.

If Coates wanted to stay (and I don't blame him if he doesn't) it's a no brainer for me....he can only get better; Toure can only get slower and fatter.

Possibly. But, Oldham debacle aside, I never really thought he was *that* bad at defending.

Kolo Toure is not very good any more, and as it would probably be his last contract and he's on a free he would no doubt want a fairly hefty wage.

If Coates wanted to stay (and I don't blame him if he doesn't) it's a no brainer for me....he can only get better; Toure can only get slower and fatter.

No amount of finger crossing would make him a better defender than Toure by next season.

I'm with Russ amigo - Toure is head and shoulders above Coates, now and for the next two seasons at least - probably forever.

TBH even if Skrtel were to stay Toure would be second choice with Carra leaving and no one else coming in. Absolutely no problem slotting him in against any team in the league - was he better 6 years ago? Yes.

I'm with Russ amigo - Toure is head and shoulders above Coates, now and for the next two seasons at least - probably forever.

TBH even if Skrtel were to stay Toure would be second choice with Carra leaving and no one else coming in. Absolutely no problem slotting him in against any team in the league - was he better 6 years ago? Yes.

We have had people on here and on social media complaining that we dont make any Gary Mac signings anymore, then there is talk about signing Toure on a free and they are complaining that he is too old.

We need more CB, Toure is a good CB and he costs nothing. Its a good transfer without touching our transfer budget.

No amount of finger crossing would make him a better defender than Toure by next season.

Maybe having Carra on the coaching staff giving him some 1 to 1 may do the trick?

If you lot think every defender needs to be blindingly quick or excellent readers of the game just don't know the game.

Was Stephane Henchoz quick or an excellent reader of the game?

Not really.

Did he form an excellent partnership with Sami?

Yes he did.

Was Coates given a chance to form a partnership with any other defender?

No

Why?

No idea.

Maybe Rodgers doesn't like what he see's in training. But training is not the be all and end all. I remember listening to some interview with Lee Dixon (I think) and they asked him who the worst player on the training pitch was at Arsenal. You'd think he'd say one of the defenders or maybe Seaman (his shorts were begining to enter his armpits!) no, it was Viera. Dixon said he was awful. Did nothing but he made up for it come the match. Maybe it was because he knew his name was one of the first on the team sheet or maybe he just can't get the motivation during training and its the buzz of the crowd that lights a fire under some players arses. If thats the reason than we could risk frezing out a player who needs more than a dozen games, (most as sub or on the back of a defeat) to show what he can do.