You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I think even they've got more ambition than that.

I'd have Sakho from that lot. Really hope most of our shopping is done abroad and not from the dregs of our league.

I don't watch Eurpean football, I don't play football manager, and am not the type to start saying I want the next big name having never seen them or knowing nothing about them. I've made an exception for Alderweireld because he plays for Ajax, and it is the type of CB that plays for Ajax that we should be looking for.

I think we need 3 first team level players, an attacker to replace Downing and 2 CBs so that we have 2 from 3 to chose from in case of injury. The others are squad players, so don't think we need to spend much money. They don't need to be top players, they just need to be able to come in and do a just.

Caulker I think is the best young CB in the country and will be an England regular for years to come.

Sakho I haven't seen much of either to be honest, but he's been touted for a couple of seasons now so I know he has some of the qualities we need.

Remy I have actually wanted for the past couple of seasons now, can play anywhere across the front 3, is quick, skillful, good in the air, and has a reasonable buy out clause by all accounts.

I don't see anything unambitious about wanting those 3.

Schneiderlin has been outstanding in the 2nd half of the season and would be an excellent back up for Lucas and not cost too much.

Weimann has looked very good in a poor Villa team, is versatile and can score goals and is coming into the last year of his contract so should be cheap.

I'll give you Beausejour. I think Robinson is our future LB, but he needs to go on loan for a couple of seasons so think we need some cover with experience and Beausejour plays as a wing back and would suit our system.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Schneiderlin does look really good, actually. Caulker is a great shout, too. I think there's a wealth of talent about.

Caulker could be a good signing but he'd be too dear and I doubt Spurs would sell to us.

I do think he'd cost a bit (£15m?) but I think he'd be worth it, he could play for us for the next 10 years.

I don't think he'd leave either, not just yet anyway. But he's probably 4th choice there (once Kaboul is back), so you never know.

And because Spurs would be getting a lot of money for a player that isn't 1st choice, I think they'd sell.

I do think he'd cost a bit (£15m?) but I think he'd be worth it' date=' he could play for us for the next 10 years.[/quote']

I bet Commoli said similar about that long haired carthorse of a Geordie we signed.

I bet Commoli said similar about that long haired carthorse of a Geordie we signed.

He may well have done, but I don't think me wanting Caulker, thinking he will be a very good player and could be value even if he was an expensive £15m is really comparable to Commoli spending £35m, making him the 7th most expensive in the world ever or whatever it was, and for a player who we needed to change our style of play to accomodate.

I don't watch Eurpean football, I don't play football manager, and am not the type to start saying I want the next big name having never seen them or knowing nothing about them. I've made an exception for Alderweireld because he plays for Ajax, and it is the type of CB that plays for Ajax that we should be looking for.

I think we need 3 first team level players, an attacker to replace Downing and 2 CBs so that we have 2 from 3 to chose from in case of injury. The others are squad players, so don't think we need to spend much money. They don't need to be top players, they just need to be able to come in and do a just.

Caulker I think is the best young CB in the country and will be an England regular for years to come.

Sakho I haven't seen much of either to be honest, but he's been touted for a couple of seasons now so I know he has some of the qualities we need.

Remy I have actually wanted for the past couple of seasons now, can play anywhere across the front 3, is quick, skillful, good in the air, and has a reasonable buy out clause by all accounts.

I don't see anything unambitious about wanting those 3.

Schneiderlin has been outstanding in the 2nd half of the season and would be an excellent back up for Lucas and not cost too much.

Weimann has looked very good in a poor Villa team, is versatile and can score goals and is coming into the last year of his contract so should be cheap.

I'll give you Beausejour. I think Robinson is our future LB, but he needs to go on loan for a couple of seasons so think we need some cover with experience and Beausejour plays as a wing back and would suit our system.

The first paragraph is needlessly snidey. Pains me to say that, as I think you're a great poster. The assumption that because someone prefers a player not in the Premier League it must mean they live in a dungeon wanking themselves silly, whilst stuffing their face with doritos, and simultaneously playing seven different files of football manager, is one that is phenomenally fucking tedious. I don't even like doritos.

I don't think Schneiderlin, Weimann, Beausejour (I'm half Chilean, and frankly would prefer he never played for the national team again), or Remy have proven that they'd be good enough for our aspirations. Caulker does look promising, but really doubt he'd be available for transfer.

They'd all also cost about twice what they're worth, because they're already at Premier League sides. There is just far greater value to be had shopping overseas. Rather than wait for the players to come into England, then sign them for three times whatever the English club paid for them, after one decent season, we need to make use of this new scouting network and be first to the punch.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't even like doritos.

YOU MAKE ME FUCKING SICK.

They'd all also cost about twice what they're worth, because they're already at Premier League sides. There is just far greater value to be had shopping overseas. Rather than wait for the players to come into England, then sign them for three times whatever the English club paid for them, after one decent season, we need to make use of this new scouting network and be first to the punch.

That is a fair point. Overpriced players is an issue. We find ourselves between a rock and a hard place: we can't attract the very top level players, but we have to pay lots for the players on a few rungs below or with potential from our own league.

It does somewhat narrow the choice of players down a bit.

I think we may run a similar campaign to the January window when Sturridge & Coutinho came in. First, get in the top target who has been well trailed before (maybe Eriksen) and then play a flanker with the press and supposedly go for an ageing overpaid ex-star, lose out to a crud side so all the mongs work up into a froth, then quietly bring in a relative unknown at a boss price who turns out great.

Repeat a couple of times and that will do us fine.

Do you think that's how the transfer committee work?

"So are the mongs frothing yet?"

"I'll check, brb.......yep, They've gone nuts at the rumours about bringing in Phil Neville...."

"Cool, let's sign an unknown who can be written off by the frothing mongs after 2 games, then he'll come good"

The assumption that because someone prefers a player not in the Premier League it must mean they live in a dungeon wanking themselves silly, whilst stuffing their face with doritos, and simultaneously playing seven different files of football manager, is one that is phenomenally fucking tedious.

Hang on a minute, how the fuck else are you supposed to watch football?

(100% agree with your post btw)

If we want a young striker that Kevin De Bruyne who is on loan from Chelski at Bremen or Wolfsburg looks an excellent prospect.

Dont think theyd sell but while we're just chatting why the hell not.

De Bruyne is a winger isn't he? And anyway, I think they want to part-ex him with Leverkusen for Andre Schurrle.

It doesn't make sense to shop in the PL because if you take someone like Schneiderlin, good player though he is, you'd be looking at upwards of 15 million. If you looked elsewhere you could probably get someone like Lars Bender for that sort of money who is far superior.

I used to put stock in the thought that if someone has experience of playing in this league and was settled in this country then they would hit the ground running, when in reality all that matters is if they're good at playing football. Unless we have a chance of picking up bargains from this league, like Sturridge, then I'd be avoiding it like the fucking plague.

There's plenty of good players in the Dutch and German leagues, let's look there.

We should sign Dede at CB, too. He looks to have it all from what I can tell/have read.

Edit: never mind, turns out he's just signed for Cruzeiro for about 5 million quid. Oh well...

Edited by moof

The first paragraph is needlessly snidey. Pains me to say that, as I think you're a great poster. The assumption that because someone prefers a player not in the Premier League it must mean they live in a dungeon wanking themselves silly, whilst stuffing their face with doritos, and simultaneously playing seven different files of football manager, is one that is phenomenally fucking tedious. I don't even like doritos.

I don't think Schneiderlin, Weimann, Beausejour (I'm half Chilean, and frankly would prefer he never played for the national team again), or Remy have proven that they'd be good enough for our aspirations. Caulker does look promising, but really doubt he'd be available for transfer.

Wasn't meant snidely, lots of people watch lots of football and it amazes me. I've got 2 kids, 2 cats, 40 fantasy football teams, never more than 10% free on my Sky+ with loads of programmes on series link, and a ballbreaker of a wife, I just don't have the time.

The comment is more about my lack of knowledge of European football more than anything, and because I try not to want players if I've not seen them (sometimes its hard not to get caught up in the hype though), then I can only really go for players in the Prem.

Having said that, I do doubt that everyone who goes crazy over some of the foreign players, the ones that don't play for the big clubs anyway, have really seen that much of them. But I wasn't suggesting you were one of those.

I do think that Remy is good enough, he impressed my when I saw him in the Champs League but I hadn't really seen enough, so I've been looking out for him at QPR, and think he is very good, I'd say he is at a similar level to Sturridge. 2 years ago he was rated around £15m, he looks worth that to me, but he will cost around £8m. I think thats good value.

I don't think our back ups just need to be wold class, just good enough to step in when required, and I do think Schneiderlin and Weimann are good enough for the level of back up we need to fight for top 4, and they both have potential to get better. Weimann is apparantly in the last year of his contract, so he shouldn't cost much if he wants to leave. Southampton have a rich and ambitious owner so Schneiderlin might not be really cheap, but I'd imagine he would be cheaper than this Waynama fella that lots of people mention (can't tell you who I think is better as never seen Waynama). And if Wigan get relegated, there will be a bit of a fire sale there so Beausejour might not cost too much. As for his quality, for me its a 2 year stop gap so Robinson can go on loan, and his 6 or 7 assists this season are quite a good return.

It doesn't make sense to shop in the PL because if you take someone like Schneiderlin, good player though he is, you'd be looking at upwards of 15 million. If you looked elsewhere you could probably get someone like Lars Bender for that sort of money who is far superior.

I used to put stock in the thought that if someone has experience of playing in this league and was settled in this country then they would hit the ground running, when in reality all that matters is if they're good at playing football. Unless we have a chance of picking up bargains from this league, like Sturridge, then I'd be avoiding it like the fucking plague.

There's plenty of good players in the Dutch and German leagues, let's look there.

I don't think Schneiderlin would cost that much as there really hasn't been much hype about him, my guess would be somewhere less than £10m, but if he did, then of course he would not be good value.

Wasn't meant snidely, lots of people watch lots of football and it amazes me. I've got 2 kids, 2 cats, 40 fantasy football teams, never more than 10% free on my Sky+ with loads of programmes on series link, and a ballbreaker of a wife, I just don't have the time.

The comment is more about my lack of knowledge of European football more than anything, and because I try not to want players if I've not seen them (sometimes its hard not to get caught up in the hype though), then I can only really go for players in the Prem.

Having said that, I do doubt that everyone who goes crazy over some of the foreign players, the ones that don't play for the big clubs anyway, have really seen that much of them. But I wasn't suggesting you were one of those.

I do think that Remy is good enough, he impressed my when I saw him in the Champs League but I hadn't really seen enough, so I've been looking out for him at QPR, and think he is very good, I'd say he is at a similar level to Sturridge. 2 years ago he was rated around £15m, he looks worth that to me, but he will cost around £8m. I think thats good value.

I don't think our back ups just need to be wold class, just good enough to step in when required, and I do think Schneiderlin and Weimann are good enough for the level of back up we need to fight for top 4, and they both have potential to get better. Weimann is apparantly in the last year of his contract, so he shouldn't cost much if he wants to leave. Southampton have a rich and ambitious owner so Schneiderlin might not be really cheap, but I'd imagine he would be cheaper than this Waynama fella that lots of people mention (can't tell you who I think is better as never seen Waynama). And if Wigan get relegated, there will be a bit of a fire sale there so Beausejour might not cost too much. As for his quality, for me its a 2 year stop gap so Robinson can go on loan, and his 6 or 7 assists this season are quite a good return.

Fair enough. Bin the cats, in my opinion.

I don't think Remy is as good as Sturridge. I think Remy runs fast and kicks the ball in the net sometimes. A French Defoe. Almost no involvement in creative play. The problem is, for me, he'd cost more than the £6m/£7m he's worth. He'd want far more than the £40k/£50k per week he should be on. He'd also want to start more games than he's good enough to.

Schneiderlin and Weimann probably are good enough to be back up, but I don't want us to sign any back up players. Buy players that will clearly improve the first team, and relegate some of the current lot to back up.

Beausejour isn't good enough defensively to play as a left back. He's an average wingback, so looks okay for Wigan in their formation. Looks shite for Chile.

I like the idea of signing Sakho as he can play CB or LB.

I know fuck all about Wanyama as well, and would find it incredibly difficult to judge a player that plays in a pub league.

I agree that's how Remy has been in the prem, but when I first saw him I was impressed with his skill on the ball and ability to beat a man. Looking at his stats, he's scored a lot of headers, so is decent in the the air, and I think he's shown he can finish. To be honest, you are right in that we don't need weimann if we get the attacking player we need, whoever that may be, but I think he's got what it takes to be a very good player, and with his contract situation, we could get him on the cheap

We need someone at dm, so we either spend big and get someone better than lucas, or get a back up in. Id rather spend the money on the defence and get a back up.

And I think our full backs are essentially wing backs anyway, and is specifically why id go for Beausejour.

Not enough players from the Eredivisie on these lists.

Tadic (according to my mate who watches them all the time) and Bony and we're set for the next 3-4 years up front. Suarez, Bony, Coutinho, Tadic, Sturridge, Sterling - that's a top 4 set of strikers/wide forwards, and all of them will still be reasonably young in 3 years.

Add to those two a good young CB (no idea on who, really - could we afford that Papadopolous kid from Schalke?) and a backup DM, maybe another backup CB if Coates leaves and we're most of the way to fixing our squad problems.

I reckon we might have about £40/45m to spend this summer. We'll probably need to spend £30/35m on the 3 or so regular 1st team players, so any squad players we get aren't really going to be particularly ambitous unless we get lucky with a cheap signing or 2.

Agree on the money amount but would say we are at a point where we should be looking solely at players who will make the first 11 markedly better, pretty much immediately. That said we need a couple 15m plus players in CB and DMid.

Should be able to pick up some bruiser to play 3rd striker for 5ish - or give Ngoo a chance and take a flyer on a wide player or two.

Really would be fine going into the season with our attackers as they are plus one different option through the middle - don't really see us attracting a player that is going to challenge Suarez/Sturridge.

Tadic (according to my mate who watches them all the time) and Bony and we're set for the next 3-4 years up front.

I wouldn't be against Bony, his scoring record is frightening. But its Holland. Dirk and Kezman scored 30+ in that League.

Tadic (according to my mate who watches them all the time) and Bony and we're set for the next 3-4 years up front. Suarez, Bony, Coutinho, Tadic, Sturridge, Sterling - that's a top 4 set of strikers/wide forwards, and all of them will still be reasonably young in 3 years.

Add to those two a good young CB (no idea on who, really - could we afford that Papadopolous kid from Schalke?) and a backup DM, maybe another backup CB if Coates leaves and we're most of the way to fixing our squad problems.

I am in Holland and I agree. The talent here at the moment is boss. Bony and Tadic for me as well. I would also look at Adam Maher and Marco Van Ginkel.

Hmmm

Transfer news: Wilfried Bony would love Premier League move | Sky Sports

"For me the Premier League is the top league [in Europe], but the Bundesliga is also good - France, Italy and Spain they're all good too," said Bony.

"England I think would be perfect. I'm very interested in the Premier League and the atmosphere in England, it's a wonderful league and we will see what happens.

"It would be great for me [to move to a club in the Champions League]. It's the only competition I haven't played in yet."

The 24-year-old insists that he will only look at his future when the season has finished.

"The transfer market has not started yet. There's nothing concrete," he told BBC Sport.

"There is a lot of talk about me in the newspapers but I'm still focused on the last two games of the season with Vitesse and at the end of the season we will see.

"I've heard the rumours [about Chelsea being interested], like you've heard about that. There's nothing concrete. We'll see at the end of the season."