You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christ, that station - when Jordan (the man whose business record is like Salah's right-footed goal attempts) speaks, it's like watching all the village idiots crowding around the village idiot who once got that ball thing to land in the cup.

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Hire a couple of decent journalists instead of trying to tick every box... 

The woman in the pink was talking about where Stones fucked up for their goal and what he should have done instead, it's mental, the women's game is nowhere near the level of the men's, it's not sexist to say it, it's just a fact. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The woman in the pink was talking about where Stones fucked up for their goal and what he should have done instead, it's mental, the women's game is nowhere near the level of the men's, it's not sexist to say it, it's just a fact. 

All four of them are boring and uninformative. 

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was she wrong? And would a journalist have known better?

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Was she wrong? And would a journalist have known better?

I wouldn't have a journalist there myself, I'd have someone who's played top level football and can speak with authority. Same reason I wouldn't have championship only players in the studio for match of the day.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I wouldn't have a journalist there myself, I'd have someone who's played top level football and can speak with authority. Same reason I wouldn't have championship only players in the studio for match of the day.

The problem with your statement is that somebody who played at the top level and can speak with authority is a tough ask. I wouldn't have anything against Championship players if the spoke with intelligence and reason. Klopp was the equivalent of a German Championship player for most or all of his career. Rafa and Wenger never got that high,nor Mourinho.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The problem with your statement is that somebody who played at the top level and can speak with authority is a tough ask. I wouldn't have anything against Championship players if the spoke with intelligence and reason. Klopp was the equivalent of a German Championship player for most or all of his career. Rafa and Wenger never got that high,nor Mourinho.

Indeed! Lawrenson, Crooks, Dublin etc played top flight football for most of their careers, and most of them were internationals too. Doesn't mean they weren't boring ill informed gobshites!

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp was the equivalent of a German Championship player for most or all of his career. Rafa and Wenger never got that high,nor Mourinho.

They never got the gig until they proved themselves as managers though. How are they similar to an amateur woman footballer?

7 hours ago, m0e said:

They never got the gig until they proved themselves as managers though. How are they similar to an amateur woman footballer?

I am not comparing them to a woman,that has nothing to do with my comment. My point was about 'not allowing Championship players on the panel.' Any women are there for diversity,but even that doesnt mean they cannot speak common sense as much as some ex players. The remit of all of these people is to generate talking points,controversy,clicks or whatever and why I hardly watch football any more. Our games aside.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am not comparing them to a woman,that has nothing to do with my comment. My point was about 'not allowing Championship players on the panel.' Any women are there for diversity,but even that doesnt mean they cannot speak common sense as much as some ex players. The remit of all of these people is to generate talking points,controversy,clicks or whatever and why I hardly watch football any more. Our games aside.

But surely if the only requirement is speak some common sense we either don't need these people or just hire some random off the street, which for me is the equivalent of these women. Loads of people have played football to a better level than these women on TV, but we don't want to know what they have to say. What we do want is for the pundit to be able to bring some nuance to what we're watching, a value that comes from having experienced the type of thing that's on the pitch, which none of us have. It doesn't mean the likes of crooks ever managed to do that, but he has more chance of doing that than someone who doesn't possess any more information about what we're watching than your regular football watching fan. 

People expect these pundits to be managers and have loads of tactical insight. But if they were decent managers, they wouldn't be pundits. So if we can't get the tactical insight of a manager, we get the next best thing of the experience of being in the battle h that's what the likes of Neville, Keane and souness bring despite varying degrees of success/failure as managers. 

When Jimmy Greaves died they had Alex Scott, another woman footballer and Dion Dublin sat on the end looking sheepish, it was surreal. The two women were saying stuff like 'Yeah Jimmy Greaves did it at the top level, you know yourself playing for England the intensity is much higher' or something along those lines. It was bonkers - like asking someone from the TA to talk about the operation to kill Bin Laden. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Ashley Cole, Joe Cole and two random birds. Surely an all time low.

20220614_204016.jpg

I was sat in a pub in Chester a few years ago, having a pint and reading a book. 2 old dudes at the next table, I think England had played the night before, one to the other...."That Joe Cole and Ashley Cole.......do you think they are brothers.......?"

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

When Jimmy Greaves died they had Alex Scott, another woman footballer and Dion Dublin sat on the end looking sheepish, it was surreal. The two women were saying stuff like 'Yeah Jimmy Greaves did it at the top level, you know yourself playing for England the intensity is much higher' or something along those lines. It was bonkers - like asking someone from the TA to talk about the operation to kill Bin Laden. 

I dont really disagree with you here,but Dion Dublin isnt much use either. And here lies the problem of wanting 'expert' advice,the only people capable of giving it simply dont want to or have good jobs within the game. I have no time for any of them.

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Does that matter though? Putting sexism aside as I think that’s just a silly distraction, I’d listen to Barney Ronay or James Richardson before Glenn Hoddle or Paul Merson because they’re just plainly better at analysing the game irrespective of their experience on the field. McManaman was a brilliant player but one of the worst pundits around. 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Does that matter though? Putting sexism aside as I think that’s just a silly distraction, I’d listen to Barney Ronay or James Richardson before Glenn Hoddle or Paul Merson because they’re just plainly better at analysing the game irrespective of their experience on the field. McManaman was a brilliant player but one of the worst pundits around. 

Depends what aspect of the game you're talking about. Happy to listen to journalists talk about everything else about the game 'except' the playing side, because they know fuck all about it.

If Richardson was sat there going 'yeah. Salah should have put that away really but he dropped his shoulder and just didn't catch it right with the inside of his boot' you'd surely be like 'what the fuck?'. 

Imagine if coverage of the champions league final was given by a pundit who'd played no higher than, say, the second division.

"There'll be a lot going through their minds before kick off, I remember the feeling from the Dulux cup final against Tunbridge Wells FC"

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Aimagine if coverage of the champions league final was given by a pundit who'd played no higher than, say, the second division.

Ally McCoist is one of the better commentators around and with all due respect, he never really had any experience in top level football, having played in Scotland all his life. 

Edit: just checked, he actually played a couple of seasons for Sunderland but I think my point still stands. The two jobs require different skill sets. You can be a shit footballer and be a great pundit and vice versa.