You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The all new miscellaneous dilemmas thread

Champ

I went looking for a thread to post this dilemma but couldnt find one that wasnt specific with a poll attached, so I'm starting a new that can then be used for others' current or future dilemmas

My current dilemma that I am seeking advice on is this

As I havent shut up about I broke my shoulder a couple of weeks ago and have been signed off work for 4 weeks, only because I plea bargained with the GP who wanted to sign me off for 6!

I'm not ill, I just cant drive and currently cant use the phone or use the pc very well. Anyway, I logged on to my work email this morning to find that my boss has sent out an email about a collection for a card and present for me. I'm so embarrassed (its self-inflicted..I fell off my bike, for God's sake) but is it very bad manners to get in touch and say I really dont want it or do I just accept anything (assuming anyone responds) graciously.

Help please GF ers

I went looking for a thread to post this dilemma but couldnt find one that wasnt specific with a poll attached, so I'm starting a new that can then be used for others' current or future dilemmas

As I havent shut up about I broke my shoulder a couple of weeks ago and have been signed off work for 4 weeks, only because I plea bargained with the GP who wanted to sign me off for 6!

I'm not ill, I just cant drive and currently cant use the phone or use the pc very well. Anyway, I logged on to my work email this morning to find that my boss has sent out an email about a collection for a card and present for me. I'm so embarrassed (its self-inflicted..I fell off my bike, for God's sake) but is it very bad manners to get in touch and say I really dont want it or do I just accept anything (assuming anyone responds) graciously.

Help please GF ers

I'm hovering over the neg button because this is a no-brainer. Free stuff. Take it.

On the plus side, you've reminded me of a thread I started ages ago that I can update.

It's not about the undoubtedly crap present you are going to get. It's about them feeling good about themselves and having a little work community that makes the day a little more bearable

Suck it up, smile and say it's just what you always wanted when they give you an egg-timer shaped like a broken bicycle

It's not about the undoubtedly crap present you are going to get. It's about them feeling good about themselves and having a little work community that makes the day a little more bearable

Suck it up, smile and say it's just what you always wanted when they give you an egg-timer shaped like a broken bicycle

Like I said, it just feels very odd. What I didnt mention was that in the weeks prior to my accident I was being treated for depression (which in part explains the amount of time I've been spending on here...because I wasnt going out anywhere else!) but carried on going to work (with the amazing support of colleagues) and then just as I'm starting to feel better I go and do this to myself and they're organising a whip round!

Btw, I texted one of my work friends. She says I have no choice either!

Like I said' date=' it just feels very odd. What I didnt mention was that in the weeks prior to my accident I was being treated for depression (which in part explains the amount of time I've been spending on here...because I wasnt going out anywhere else!) but carried on going to work (with the amazing support of colleagues) and then just as I'm starting to feel better I go and do this to myself and they're organising a whip round!

Btw, I texted one of my work friends. She says I have no choice either![/quote']

Sorry to hear about the depression, hope it's improving. Good to hear that you have a great team around you, I would happily murder most of my colleagues at the moment so appreciate them and let them look after you

dilemma - taking the missus out tonight for dinner, i'm meeting her out at half 7 and have already had a few beers , do i jump in the shower then chill for a bit or do i carry on drinking and turn up potentially a bit pissed? well... drunk.. i know what i wanna do but - arr fuck it.

Help please GF ers

Not with you

This isnt a dilemma at all? If you made that call I would suggest you may be faced with a very different dilemma

accept it in the spirit its meant,nobody has to contribute ,their choice.

I seem to recall a certain person on here greatly involved in a wonderful gesture recently involving a wedding gift to a forumite,a stranger to most of us apart from his posts,and he did ok.people are good by and large,so just accept anything your workmates decide to do for you,

Oh,and get well soon !

accept it in the spirit its meant,nobody has to contribute ,their choice.

I seem to recall a certain person on here greatly involved in a wonderful gesture recently involving a wedding gift to a forumite,a stranger to most of us apart from his posts,and he did ok.people are good by and large,so just accept anything your workmates decide to do for you,

Oh,and get well soon !

Exactly. Col's situation puts this entirely into perspective. I fell off my bike, I hurt myself, its not a big deal. I'll be back before they get their shit together to buy me a card. Ungrateful cow?