You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Be honest, if offered 4th at the start of the season, would you have said yes?

Bjornebye

4th yes or no  

74 members have voted

1. 1. 4th yes or no

• Yeah
    • Nope

There's a difference between getting the champagne out and seeing that 4th is progress and being reasonably content with it at this stage.

I will be reasonably content with it but I wouldn't settle for it at the start of the season as I don't support Arsenal.

• Upvote 1

There's a difference between getting the champagne out and seeing that 4th is progress and being reasonably content with it at this stage.

Too right.

An "Arsenal mentality" to me is being satisfied with fourth year after year.  If you asked me if I'd be satisfied finishing fourth the next three seasons in a row, then no chance.

If last summer you had offered me the chance at fourth I would have snapped your arm off, seeing as we had just finished a summer with a positive spend and were entering the season with about the sixth-best squad in the league.  

But only as a waypoint on the way to getting us to first at some point in the next few seasons.  Never as a plateau that we never move off.

• Upvote 1

Yes, absolutely I would have taken 4th. Let's just hope we actually finish 4th. Never know what's going to happen on the final day with this lot. About the only guaranteed thing is that Arsenal will beat Everton meaning we absolutely have to win our game.

I hope our players don't embarrass themselves tomorrow with a load of dressing room pics doing an arsenal celebrating 4th.

• Upvote 1

I hope our players don't embarrass themselves tomorrow with a load of dressing room pics doing an arsenal celebrating 4th.

I'm worried about the result at the moment, I'll leave worrying about the other stuff until Monday if we win although I agree with you 100%.

4th in general can never be looked at as good enough but assuming we dont shit the bed its a big step forward that must be a stepping stone to better things. This is not a dig at Rodgers but He/FSG Wasted finishing second. For whatever reason we didnt go and get the players that could have pushed us on and his forfeit of the away Madrid game was a fucking disgrace.

Id have taken it at the start of the season so long as it leads to good targets in the summer. Klopp being playing with his hands tied behind his back in squad size and net spend compared to the other 5 of the top 6.

The stepping stone argument.  I'm looking at Arsenal again.   What has twenty years of Champions League qualification helped them achieve?

The last two title winners weren't in the Champions League.  Our best title challenge came in a season with no European football.

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Does anyone have an example of a club which has struggled to qualify for the CL, then qualified and gone on to much better things?  It doesn't have to be in the PL.

Spurs have qualified a couple of times but haven't won anything.

I suppose you could suggest Chelsea when they pipped us to fourth but Abramovich was more of a catalyst.  Same for Man City where ownership has been more important.

Newcastle United qualified but didn't win anything.  We all know what happened to Leeds.

Has there been a club which has qualified and used it as a springboard for future success?

Does anyone have an example of a club which has struggled to qualify for the CL, then qualified and gone on to much better things?  It doesn't have to be in the PL.

I suppose you could suggest Chelsea when they pipped us to fourth but Abramovich was more of a catalyst.  Same for Man City where ownership has been more important.

Newcastle United qualified but didn't win anything.  We all know what happened to Leeds.

Has there been a club which has qualified and used it as a springboard for future success?

welcome to modern football. 

Does anyone have an example of a club which has struggled to qualify for the CL, then qualified and gone on to much better things? It doesn't have to be in the PL.

I suppose you could suggest Chelsea when they pipped us to fourth but Abramovich was more of a catalyst. Same for Man City where ownership has been more important.

Newcastle United qualified but didn't win anything. We all know what happened to Leeds.

2001 we scraped into the then top 3 by 1 point. First time we had got into the European cup since 85.

Had a couple of small campaigns in the seasons following, then finished 4th in 2004, 4 points clear of 5th.

2005 won it.

Couple of smaller cups after that.

I'd say that's a reasonable amount of success.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1