You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

He just has a team that he will defend constantly while deflecting all criticism/facts/reality/whatever.

It makes him a bit of a blert in the GF but probably a decent fella in the FF.

Exactly this. He doesn't believe any of the shite he posted. He isn't an imbecile.

For fuck sake, it reads as satire.

You've got no argument, because it's all true. But no, let's cherry pick a few Tory policies that got through because we needed to make a few cuts thanks to inheriting a disaster of an economy and whinge and moan about those instead.

I love this line getting trotted out to smash Labour with. It wasn't solely the UK that had a disaster of an economy - it was worldwide. No active government at the time could have done anything about it. Whereas the Lib Dumbs could have helped to reign the Tories in, but they didn't. Consequently we have this right wing economic and social shit-storm that the Lib Dumbs helped create.

I’d have more respect for SD’s politics if occasionally he would say, ‘you know what that was shit, we shouldn’t have done that’.

I support Labour but have no problem saying Blair should be in The Hague. If it’s right it’s right and wring it is wrong no matter what party it is.

If the Tories decided to unite the country, protect the poor and vulnerable, redistribute wealth, focus on jobs and fairness etc. I’d have no problem voting for them. I don’t care who does it. It is not a competition of my party vs others. It is right vs wrong.

If the Tories decided to unite the country, protect the poor and vulnerable, redistribute wealth, focus on jobs and fairness etc. I’d have no problem voting for them. I don’t care who does it. It is not a competition of my party vs others. It is right vs wrong.

When a party was formed centuries ago for the benefit of the wealthy and nothing else but their own self interests then this scenario will never happen. Their whole reason to be is to protect wealth at all costs,they are the true enemy within.

As for Stronts never calling his own party out I believe he does it on purpose to provoke debate. Those of us who do vote Labour are more than willing to agree that Blair is a war criminal and he is basically a tory in labour clothing and this isn't something we are afraid to say often.

I wasn't asking for your permission. As for pre-emptively claiming something as cherry picking, you might want to look at your own defence for a good example of that.

Nothing to do with permission, you post what you want, just saying don't bother on my account. You can describe the miraculous repair of the economy as "cherry-picking" if you want.

I’d have more respect for SD’s politics if occasionally he would say, ‘you know what that was shit, we shouldn’t have done that’.

I have no issue with fair criticism, nobody gets everything right, I've admitted so on many occasions. My problem is nobody other than me giving credit or even acknowledging the things that were done well. Is it fair? For me it's a resounding no.

Nothing to do with permission, you post what you want, just saying don't bother on my account. You can describe the miraculous repair of the economy as "cherry-picking" if you want.

I call it a lie, actually. But yes, also cherry-picking. It's a bit like saying 'Harold Shipman miraculously cured my Nan of a cold' without mentioning that she died a few weeks later.

• Upvote 1

I have no issue with fair criticism, nobody gets everything right, I've admitted so on many occasions. My problem is nobody other than me giving credit or even acknowledging the things that were done well. Is it fair? For me it's a resounding no.

Can you give me an example or two of Lib Dem fuck ups and what they should have done differently?

I can provide as much evidence of that as you can for the idea that he didn't. But he is a Lib Dem, so naturally you will assume the worst.

My evidence for him not knowing is that Mackenzie didn’t say that he did. In a thread bigging up the Lib Dems’ negotiating prowess and commitment to principled politics, if it had been a cleverly orchestrated plan with no risk of the Tories’ regressive policy being carried out, I would have expected her to highlight that fact.

Besides, my wider point was about the Lib Dems’ lack of political awareness. Even if they knew there was no risk of the additional sanctions being implemented, the fact that Mackenzie treats the issue as an afterthought and a joke exemplifies how tone deaf the party is. Someone who recognised the enduring anger over the Lib Dems’ role in austerity would have made it crystal clear that the Lib Dems weren’t prepared to roll the dice with benefit claimants’ lives in order to get the plastic bag policy through. The fact that she didn’t even grasp how appalled people would be at the thought of the Lib Dems being prepared to throw poor and vulnerable people under the bus demonstrates how oblivious the party is to the views of the voters who’ve deserted it.

Until your party acknowledges the hardship and suffering it enabled under the coalition, apologises sincerely for it and pledges not to prop up a Tory government again, your support in the polls will never recover. You might get a temporary bounce or two over Brexit while Corbyn remains in position, but that’s all. The coalition is as toxic to your party as Iraq was to New Labour, and like New Labour apologists you don’t show any interest in understanding why.

• Upvote 1

I understand perfectly, people are ignorant. They don't realise that had there been a Lib/Lab coalition instead, there would have been "austerity" every bit as severe as that which was implemented, because both Labour and the Tories proposed deeper cuts than the Lib Dems in 2010. And people are dumb enough to believe the synthetic outrage of Labour politicians against cuts they themselves would have made. We all remember the predictions of doom - there'll be a double dip (there wasn't), unemployment will soar (it didn't) - so the Rovian tactic of attacking and lying about the achievements of the Lib Dems in reining in the worst excesses of the Tory Party while halving the deficit and managing to introduce progressive policies like pupil premium, free school meals and no income tax for low earners is employed instead.

Anyway, you needn't worry about Lib Dems "propping up" anyone ever again. We won't enter a coalition with anyone without proportional representation.

Can you give me an example or two of Lib Dem fuck ups and what they should have done differently?

What was done well?

This sums up almost all of your posts concerning politics. "I'm clever; you're stupid."

It's what makes your posts too infuriating for anyone to take them seriously.

If he was like that when campaigning, that probably explains why he got such a laughably low amount of votes. The public can spot misplaced arrogance and condescending twattery a mile off. Chortle!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This sums up almost all of your posts concerning politics. "I'm clever; you're stupid."

It's what makes your posts too infuriating for anyone to take them seriously.

Ignorance and stupidity are not the same thing. If I wanted to say people are stupid, I would have said that.