You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

I'm not saying anything about the owners listening to fans. I'm saying that we have a right to voice our concerns, as Villa did, as Blackburn did as we have done in the past.

I also see no reason why we should simply accept what the media and other fans tell us who they think we should accept as our next manager.

Yep you're right there.

We're in this for a lifetime (whoever you support). They're not.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They championed Hodgson. I'm not sure how he 'repayed' them. He didn't sell column inches while he was here, but much much more when he left the club (in a state) so the drama that ensued after his sacking could be viewed as 'repayment'.

I never said the repayment would come in the current position or that it hasn't already been paid before the support has been provided.

I would imagine there would be a number of "Exclusive" interviews with the "England" manager coming our way soon.

Martinez was on a cruise in the Caribbean, so meeting in Miami could be a compromise between Boston and the ocean. I'd wager that Whelan probably knows, too.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but Miami is where cruises depart and disembark, so it's no surprise he's gone from the Carribean to Miami.

The media are the media.

They have their favourites.

But that changes with the wind.

Right now, the media are no fans of Liverpool. It's clear as day. But the media have ALWAYS loved to take a little adversity, pour some petrol on it, and set it alight to create a veritable media bonfire.

If City had lost the league (and we were 30 seconds away from it) it would be have been mayhem in the media.

If Hodgson gets off to a poor start, it'll be mayhem.

If the new manager at Liverpool gets off to a bad start, it'll be mayhem.

And whilst there's very little football news, Liverpool is THE biggest story by a mile.

Lest we forget the crap that a certain rag printed about Liverpool fans all those years ago?

Lest we forget the noose around Beckham's neck (who is now the media darling)

Media is media. 'News' isn't even in their vocabulary. They are professional sh*t stirrers, and as long as people are happy to pay for a whiff of it, they'll carry on doing it.

You? Ok so you're not a Liverpool supporter? I don't understand how we Liverpool supporters are being represented to Martinez, and as someone who doesn't agree with him being our manager, I don't care how the media is representing me to Martinez. I don't know a lot of fans who are OK with him as manager. I am, however, interested in how the executive positions at my club will be filled, sans Martinez.

Sorry mate, I meant 'you' as in those who are dead against Martinez, because you will be presented as all Liverpool fans, and all dead set against him the minute he becomes our manager!

There will be no shades of grey offered, no attempt to understand the frustrations and reasons behind you refusing him. But I am more than prepared to see this given time, and the lads I go the match with are the same. There are quite a few reds who want to see what the structure is like and how it works before they demand FSG appoint another coach.

You mentioned that you want to let FSG know how you feel, well what about peole like me? Who do FSG listen to? The loudest voices, or those who have the most backing? The problem at the moment is that the media is focussing purely upon fans who are voicing their concerns and ignoring others who are willing to give it time.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but Miami is where cruises depart and disembark, so it's no surprise he's gone from the Carribean to Miami.

Hilarious. Bang on with the cruise info. Normally Fort Lauderdale.

See Whelan? You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to catch us out. Now sod off and seriously evaluate your stadium naming commitee.

Martinez is no muppet. He'll be well aware that any appointment won't be warmly received.

But like McLeish at Villa, he might have enough belief in himself to think he can prove you all wrong. It didn't work out for McLeish. Martinez remains to be seen.

But when the overwhelming fans choice (Kenny) took over at Liverpool, it didn't work out for him either.

Whichever way you look at this, you're buying a lottery ticket.

Daved - The City fans choice.

He must be so proud.

Based on the usual suspects that dominate the forums, I would class Mr Fanchesters accolade above most......

He doesnt strike me as a City fan anyway, more a marauding, wondering footballing philospher love guru.

Martinez is no muppet. He'll be well aware that any appointment won't be warmly received.

That is what I am trying to get at! Not everyone is against the appointment in the short term, quite a few seem to want to give it time. But everything is about those who are against it.

But like McLeish at Villa, he might have enough belief in himself to think he can prove you all wrong. It didn't work out for McLeish. Martinez remains to be seen.

But when the overwhelming fans choice (Kenny) took over at Liverpool, it didn't work out for him either.

Whichever way you look at this, you're buying a lottery ticket.

And a team, in LFC's stature shouldn't be doing that. Far from it.

Not good enough.

Sorry mate, I meant 'you' as in those who are dead against Martinez, because you will be presented as all Liverpool fans, and all dead set against him the minute he becomes our manager!

There will be no shades of grey offered, no attempt to understand the frustrations and reasons behind you refusing him. But I am more than prepared to see this given time, and the lads I go the match with are the same. There are quite a few reds who want to see what the structure is like and how it works before they demand FSG appoint another coach.

You mentioned that you want to let FSG know how you feel, well what about peole like me? Who do FSG listen to? The loudest voices, or those who have the most backing? The problem at the moment is that the media is focussing purely upon fans who are voicing their concerns and ignoring others who are willing to give it time.

Why do you keep insisting that Martinez is already a done deal? I understand that everyone is coming to the conclusion based on the fact that he (according to Whelan) is meeting with FSG. It's a meeting. If indeed it is happening...

As long as your arguments are valid for supporting Martinez (and I take it that you've already accepted him as our manager) then shout it as loud as you want. I'm not sure why no-one's listening to the pro-Martinez camp but if there are enough of you, you'll be heard. I just don't think that there are enough of you. Anyway, I have a feeling that regardless of who says what, FSG are not basing their decisions on what the fans want this time.

I also want to see what kind of executive structure we have in place, irregardless of who the manager is.

Rightly or wrongly, they will listen to the media.

It's likely that the media coverage of Suarez cost Kenny his job.

For FSG, it's about brand, and brand image. You have to look good, get the right media attention and say all the right things so that sponsors pay to be associated with you. Of course, you have to win things too, but the better the image the better it is for FSG and sponsors.

If a club wants a nitty gritty down to earth image, then fine, they'll attract JCB as sponsors.

If a clubs wants a sleek, sophisticated 'winning' image, they'll attract the sleek sophisticated money men wanting to sponsor them.

I hate it. I hate that the media can bring down a manager pretty easily. I hate that fans buy into it and believe what they read.

If they try really hard (the media) they can even get a decent number of fans believing black is white.

FSG don't give a toss what the fans think.

They DO give a toss what media reports says you think.

Why do you keep insisting that Martinez is already a done deal? I understand that everyone is coming to the conclusion based on the fact that he (according to Whelan) is meeting with FSG. It's a meeting. If indeed it is happening...

As long as your arguments are valid for supporting Martinez (and I take it that you've already accepted him as our manager) then shout it as loud as you want. I'm not sure why no-one's listening to the pro-Martinez camp but if there are enough of you, you'll be heard. I just don't think that there are enough of you. Anyway, I have a feeling that regardless of who says what, FSG are not basing their decisions on what the fans want this time.

I also want to see what kind of executive structure we have in place, irregardless of who the manager is.

It might not be a done deal, you are right about that, but judging by the lack of surprises in our transfer dealings and with Kenny leaving it seems like he is a shoe in.

Put it this way, if they abandon their structure now they will look even more clueless, and unless Rodgers gives them any indication that he will take it, then can't see anyone else.

We'll have to see, I suspect that this time tomorrow morning we will be reading about both our DoF and our new coach.

I dont think anyone wants Martinez . Its the wrong move but what I wont do is kick off and start kicking off on forums, writing letters to the owners or starting some campaign.

Whoever gets the job will have my full support from the start of his career.

Anyone who shows any dismay directly towards whoever gets the job is a fucking massive tool.

However, I am sure there are some village idiots who will throw there prams out of the cot if their own choice get the nod.

I dont give a fuck who get the job now. Anyone who gets it will have my full support and a clean slate.

I dont think anyone wants Martinez . Its the wrong move but what I wont do is kick off and start kicking off on forums, writing letters to the owners or starting some campaign.

Anyone who shows any dismay directly towards whoever gets the job is a fucking massive tool.

However, I am sure there are some village idiots who will throw there prams out of the cot if their own choice get the nod.

I dont give a fuck who get the job now. Anyone who gets it will have my full support and a clean slate.

That is the greatest sentence I have ever read.

You'd think that if the owners were going to sack a massively popular manager, the least they'd do is replace him with an impressive alternative. Bringing in Martinez would simply confirm what the sacking of Dalglish suggested: the owners don't give a fuck about the fans...

It might not be a done deal, you are right about that, but judging by the lack of surprises in our transfer dealings and with Kenny leaving it seems like he is a shoe in.

Put it this way, if they abandon their structure now they will look even more clueless, and unless Rodgers gives them any indication that he will take it, then can't see anyone else.

We'll have to see, I suspect that this time tomorrow morning we will be reading about both our DoF and our new coach.

We (fans) aren't quite clear yet on what the structure is. So we don't know what they would be abandoning, do we? They are looking clueless now. You're bringing up names that have been linked with the club just because they've been linked. Yes, we'll have to see because no-one knows and we going on all kinds of variables. All of them unknown. Suspicions.

Granted, looks like we're starting from point zero. FSG are trying to build something. But it doesn't mean that I have to want Martinez to be a part of that simply because other people are putting him forward and that I should accept him. That's my bottom line especially when I have enough reasons based on empirical evidence that I shouldn't want him as manager or coach or whatever the title is up for grabs. I want the best available, and I don't think he's it.

Whelan said: "My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department. There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

Hahahahaha. Oh dear.