You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

31 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Only if you look at it from a contextless perspective, discounting a lot of other information. But that’s what anti-religion atheists do. It rarely is about fact or context, it’s about being able to call Muhammad a pedo or claim religious people are mentally ill. 

What's the context I'm missing that should alter my opinion of a man in his 50s having sex with a 9 year old girl?

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What's the context I'm missing that should alter my opinion of a man in his 50s having sex with a 9 year old girl?

Does he have beans on a pizza or is he just a regular nonce? 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a brilliant Emo joke about it all. Pretty sure they are all as mad and divisive as each other. 

‘Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him off’

Love this joke.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him off’

Love this joke.

tenor.gif?itemid=12674898

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There’s nothing I could reply with that you haven’t already read and dismissed. Though, for others, her real age is - at best - a matter of debate. This is a non-academic article that adumbrates the subject. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/17/muhammad-aisha-truth

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Love this joke.

Remember that joke now from Emo Phillips back in the 80s.

20 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There’s nothing I could reply with that you haven’t already read and dismissed. Though, for others, her real age is - at best - a matter of debate. This is a non-academic article that adumbrates the subject. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/17/muhammad-aisha-truth

Excellent read - and "adumbrate" is a lovely word.

• Upvote 1

On 06/05/2020 at 21:11, Numero Veinticinco said:

Who'd have thought a lazy stereotype would be used to discredit a whole religion,especially one which the rich,white rulers of the West want to demonise. Colour me shocked.

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Who'd have thought a lazy stereotype would be used to discredit a whole religion,especially one which the rich,white rulers of the West want to demonise. Colour me shocked.

The hypocrisy levels are nuclear 

I think talking about Aisha etc is missing the point, because it distracts the main issue IMO in that he made up a story about him being in a cave and that God spoke to him and he used it as a political tool to control people. That’s the main issue. We as people should have progressed from religion by now. Any of them. We are all familiar with the kiddie-fiddling issues with the church, and how disgustingly Islam treats gays and women. I watched Unorthodox on Netflix the other day. I never realised that Judaism practise was so vile. There’s very little to gain from debating about details IMO. They’re all horrible, and we should really move on from them.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think talking about Aisha etc is missing the point, because it distracts the main issue IMO in that he made up a story about him being in a cave and that God spoke to him and he used it as a political tool to control people. That’s the main issue. We as people should have progressed from religion by now. Any of them. We are all familiar with the kiddie-fiddling issues with the church, and how disgustingly Islam treats gays and women. I watched Unorthodox on Netflix the other day. I never realised that Judaism practise was so vile. There’s very little to gain from debating about details IMO. They’re all horrible, and we should really move on from them.

I get your last point but before we throw all religion in the bin did he really tell a fib about the cave?

On 06/05/2020 at 20:18, Nelly-Torres said:

It's worth mentioning that the age of Aisha at the time of her marriage to Muhammad is anything but a settled, undisputed fact. 

"Laa la la! I can't hear you. Me and Tommy Two-names are too busy defending truth."

51 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's a mad world out there. Some defend truth; some defend 50 year old men creeping on children. 

And some defend a state that has created the largest concentration camp ever made, abuses children, commits murder and many more war crimes on a daily basis. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Grinch said:

And some defend a state that has created the largest concentration camp ever made, abuses children, commits murder and many more war crimes on a daily basis. 

You aren’t allowed to say it