You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest ShoePiss
who is syndrome ?

Easy that one. Downing.

I'm still struggling to work out who the shit prince of bellend is though.

I remember someone mentioning half of his goals have come from pens for Swansea (Sinclair) when you strip that down he is not really that much of a goal threat, unless you compare him to Downing.

I'd be happy with that Gylfi from Swansea and try and look elsewhere for some real quality.

He could have scored a fair few for us from the spot last season, don't knock the ability to do that on a regular basis.

Sinclair is a decent player. If he improves he could easily be valued at 20m one day. Although, given that's what we paid for Syndrome and Horrenderson, that isn't saying all that much.

If he stays at the same level, he's a faster, slightly more effective Jermaine Pennant, with more goals in him. Although that isn't saying much either.

Would be an improvement on either of our wing options. Although that...etc

Give Jordan a chance next season he will a surprise a few people.

This Sigurdsson, is he any good? I know he had a good goal record towards the end of the season but I cant say I properly watched him. It doesnt seem like his parent club are that desperate to keep hold of him. Has anybody watched him on a regular basis who can give some insight into what we can expect from him.

Guest ShoePiss
This Sigurdsson, is he any good? I know he had a good goal record towards the end of the season but I cant say I properly watched him. It doesnt seem like his parent club are that desperate to keep hold of him. Has anybody watched him on a regular basis who can give some insight into what we can expect from him.

Depends, if he's going to Spurs then no.

Would think it strange if there were any truth in the Sigurdsson to Spurs rumours.

They havent even got a manager nor a director of football in place ?

Can't say i've seen a lot of Sigurdsson, a couple of times for Reading, Hoffenheim and Swansea respectively and one time for Iceland. Good right foot and seem to have the right mentality, not shying away from responsibility and is looking to make things happen. Player of the season at both Reading and then Hoffenheim. Swansea's fans seemed pretty desperate for his signature.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sinclair isn't good enough IMO.

He's certainly not the player to take us into the top four and beyond.

Guest ShoePiss
Yeah but that's not what we need, we need first team players who are good enough to significantly improve the team.

Agreed. We have squad fillers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, but he would improve the squad, which would help us reach top 4 and beyond.

Will he 'surprise a few people' when he joins?

I don't think he's a bad player, but he doesn't offer enough goals at the top level. He's not the players we should be spending our money on, he really isn't.

Yeah but that's not what we need, we need first team players who are good enough to significantly improve the team.

Not arguing with that, but with Kuyt/Maxi/possibly Bellamy leaving... we need SEVERAL wingers/wide forward/wide attacking midfielders

Will he 'surprise a few people' when he joins?

I don't think he's a bad player, but he doesn't offer enough goals at the top level. He's not the players we should be spending our money on, he really isn't.

I don't think so. He'll offer just what is on the tin. A bit of skill, bit of pace, steady player... for 7m? That's not bad.

Despite losing some wide players, we still have arguably added two already in Sterling and Joe Cole.

The latter could be a great asset under Rodgers.

We definitely do need at least one other great attacking player, probably two, depending on how we line up.

We're still a mish mash of three collections of players bought under three previous managerial regimes though, it ain't going to get sorted overnight.

Despite losing some wide players, we still have arguably added two already in Sterling and Joe Cole.

We definitely do need at least one other great attacking player, probably two, depending on how we line up.

We're still a mish mash of three collections of players bought under three previous managerial regimes though, it ain't going to get sorted overnight.

I think this is the key. Brendan obviously wants Sigurdsson but outside of that we don't know. I think there are many reasons that Sigurdsson fits in what he is trying to accomplish and also he fits the brief that FSG want.

He's a young player who already has shown enough quality to be playing at this level and yet has more untapped potential. He's an Icelandic international who is arguably his country's best player and another thing people seem to overlook is his versatility. When I've seen him (albeit the once) play for Iceland, he played on the right wing and he looked damn good doing so as well.

I think he's a cracking player who knows the way Rodgers plays and will be a valuable squad player with the potential to be a hell of a lot more, also he bangs in a few goals which is something we desperately need to address.

As for bringing in a new striker, I'd rather we brought in someone like Suarez and gave Carroll a real chance even if it is only for one full season.

I don't think I'd trust Joe Cole with our Carling Cup games at this point... Is Sterling ready for first team football?

How the fuck Cole get so highly rated anyway? He was deservingly high thought of at West Ham for "potential" due to his ball tricks, and had since failed to live up to even the most reasonable expectation. Is it because Mongo rated him and called him the "creative force" England needed?