You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ok

I didn't post that in the wrong thread. Nope. Definitely not.

*slinks away to the AvB thread*

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Laughable post. Go wash your mouth out, lad.

Well, he scored in the league and in Europe. And he made some assists.

You can put /insert random name/ against Stewart Downing and compare effectiveness and contribution and Downing will nearly always come 2nd. And i include virtually everyone in that. Its almost laughable how bad Downing is, and how little he does. The fact he scored a goal against a Championship club in the league cup tells you all you will ever need to know. Its his level. The fact Aquilani cost less further promotes his superiority over Downing.

By who?

United after Baines for £12m, Everton will have to take that I reckon or it'll be some bumnut in exchange thrown in

No doubt they will shovel off some shite onto them as part exchange , them dogshit twins maybe ?

Edit , Ha only read your first line before posting , its so obvious , Johnny Evans ?

You can put /insert random name/ against Stewart Downing and compare effectiveness and contribution and Downing will nearly always come 2nd. And i include virtually everyone in that. Its almost laughable how bad Downing is, and how little he does. The fact he scored a goal against a Championship club in the league cup tells you all you will ever need to know. Its his level. The fact Aquilani cost less further promotes his superiority over Downing.

He hit two goals in the FA Cup, actually.

He scored a penalty in the Carling Cup Final penalty shoot out.

It's not surprisingly that people will put the boots to him, if they can't even remember what he's done/hasn't done/etc.

Downing isn't nearly as bad as people will scream.

He hit two goals in the FA Cup, actually.

He scored a penalty in the Carling Cup Final penalty shoot out.

It's not surprisingly that people will put the boots to him, if they can't even remember what he's done/hasn't done/etc.

Downing isn't nearly as bad as people will scream.

I always rate your opinion Unrighteous but I have to disagree here.

Downing has been a terrible signing and whilst your point about him playing which is more than Aquilani contributed is a valid one the standard of the performances when he did play was way below what I would expect from any wide man, let alone someone who we paid £20m for.

I hope that if he stays he can somehow kick on and start taking people on and getting in some great crosses like in the 2nd half of the FA Cup semi but at his age their is usually little improvement from players.

As for him being our worst ever signing, he's in the running definitely but that's a strong field

Downing has been an unmitigated disaster, and whatever lower league team he scored against in the cup will never change that. I appreciate lance trying to see the good here but it doesnt change the fact he has had an awful, awful debut season. People scream about how bad he is because they have eyes, he has been that bad. Where did he come in our player of the season comp on here? About 16th if I remember correctly. Sorry but I expect more from a 20m player, and so do the fan base apparently ad they are the ones who voted for it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Think Aquilani was a good player in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like Morientes in that regard.

Why are we even arguing who was worse between Aquilani and Downing? Both were terrible signings, and though I think there were some mitigating circumstances for Aquilani that make the decision to sign him marginally less awful (the fact that we were broke and it was one of the only players at a club who may have owed us, plus agreed to stagger the payments so we could afford them), it doesn't matter. Both were mistakes.

Hopefully the new management structure will contribute towards us making fewer of those kinds of mistakes. Onward and upward and all that.