You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'You should have stayed at a big club'

Guest San Don

Chelsea's Fernando Torres refuses offer to take penalty at Birmingham

• Designated taker Juan Mata offers compatriot the ball

• Torres has now not scored in 23 matches for Chelsea

Fernando Torres turned down the chance to take Chelsea's 70th minute penalty in their FA Cup replay win at Birmingham City, which might have allowed him to end his near five-month scoring drought.

Chelsea were 2-0 up and coasting into the quarter-finals on Tuesday night when Torres was fouled by Guirane N'Daw inside the area. Juan Mata, the designated penalty taker, offered the kick to Torres, his friend and fellow Spaniard, only for the 27-year-old to decline. Although Daniel Sturridge subsequently tried to claim the ball, Mata stepped up to the spot and saw his shot saved by Colin Doyle.

Torres rarely takes penalties but his refusal to accept this one offered the latest illustration of his crisis of confidence. The striker's link-up play was again good, on his 50th appearance for Chelsea since a £50m move from Liverpool, but he continued to snatch at anything in front of goal.

He dragged a first-half chance wide and his descent to figure of fun was reinforced during the interval, when a Birmingham fan missed his kick in the half-time competition. "It was worse than Torres," he told the on-pitch interviewer, to much hilarity. The St Andrew's crowd chanted "We want Torres" upon the award of the penalty. The forward, who has five goals in all competitions for Chelsea, has not scored in 23 matches.

"I asked him if he wanted to take it because he provoked [won] the penalty," Mata said. "He said: 'I'm not first on the list to shoot,' so that's what happened. It was because he forced the penalty and I gave him the chance. Robbie [Di Matteo, the interim manager] put a paper with who shoots penalties and that was it."

Chelsea continue their search for a permanent managerial replacement for André Villas-Boas, who was sacked on Sunday, and the club's hierarchy noted the anti-Rafael Benítez chants that came from the visiting enclosure at St Andrew's.

The former Liverpool manager has advanced his candidacy and has suggested he could help to restore Torres to his former glories, having overseen him during their time together at Anfield. But Chelsea's directors are not thought to have him under consideration.

Chelsea's Fernando Torres refuses offer to take penalty at Birmingham | Football | The Guardian

Torres doesn't take penalties. He said that in an early interview after he joined us. That article is just to rub it in. I don't mind, but to be fair, he has been consistent on his penalty stance for his whole career.

He'd be even more of a cunt, if he suddenly wanted to take pens, just to get a goal.

I don't think Torres ever took a set piece for Liverpool in a competitive game. I remember he took a penalty for Liverpool in a shoot-out on his debut in a pre-season friendly, and it was saved. All his goals have come from open play.

It's almost too good to be true now, it's reached epic proportions, he's up there with Michael Duberry or Eddie Newton in the echelons of shit Chelsea players.

How?

How the fuck has this happened?

65 goals in 102 appearances for us. Fucking remarkable.

One thing I do notice about him compared to when he first started playing for us is that he's beefed up and it doesn't look natural on him. I expect it's part of the Chelsea regimen that they pump their players full of supplements and get them on the weights so that they can bully teams off the ball, but it's clearly not to Torres' advantage, he looks ungainly.

He also started looking shit when he started tucking his shirt in.

We've had blessings on the pitch, a new/old haircut.... and still shit isn't working out, I bet he can't wait for the season to end so he can get a move back to Spain or somewhere far from England.

His last game in the Premiership might just turn out to be at Anfield on 5th May.

I think it all started to go wrong for him the day he dyed his hair black it just didn't seem right!

I wonder if he mopes about his house now thinking why did he leave us & if there's any chance of Dalglish taking him back.

Beefed up,not gliding along the pitch like he use too,grumpy & not scoring - not the Fernando we once knew.

I think it all started to go wrong for him the day he dyed his hair black it just didn't seem right!

I wonder if he mopes about his house now thinking why did he leave us & if there's any chance of Dalglish taking him back.

Beefed up,not gliding along the pitch like he use too,grumpy & not scoring - not the Fernando we once knew.

Rafa must think the same about his goatee.**

** Hopefully this little flippant comment (that was supposed to be mildly humorous) doesn't escalate into a Rafa is a cunt, Rafa is a god thread!

Drogba held his annual charity event at The Dorchester last night to raise money for The Didier Drogba Foundation. A businessman paid £15,000 for a training session with Drogba, when picking up his prize, he joked.. "I'm going to give this to Fernando Torres...."

Fucking hell, now blokes in suits are publically taking the piss out of him..