You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Meireles

El Rojo

Raul is a quality player and is excellent and what he does. He is a creative player and also makes some excellent advancing runs. IMO Lucas (although much improved) and Kuyt seem to play a role that they are not excellent at yet are not surplus to requirements. Both would be easily sold however so why is the talk that it should be Raul ahead of them?

If the owners are looking to trim the wage bill then you get rid of people that offer nothing are are not needed. I don't see how Raul can fall into that category. Just because Henderson and Adam were bought, they have yet to show that they are going to be better than Raul.

If we can't get rid of the deadwood then fair enough but it is madness to sell a good player just to balance the books. Why on earth spunk 35m on imo an overrated Carroll and then penny pinch over 5-10m in wages.

Raul fits into the team well and offers something that others don't. I will be really pissed off if he goes. If he was partnered with Suarez and we had have gone for a back up to Suarez instead of buying Carroll we could have saved ourselves a lot of money and looked a more cohesive team.

I hope I am proved wrong but I just can't see Carroll being successful. He is too slow, his touch at times is very poor and for a big man he really doesn't compete smartly enough aerially like other imposing strikers.

I hope Kenny is big enough to drop him soon IF it needs to be done. I am sure he will but let's hope it never comes to that and Carroll starts to fit in to the way we are playing. I just see him being a focal point when he is on and our play isn't pass and move like when he is not on the pitch.

It's funny as I think Carroll is a good player and is suited to a team like Newcastle where he was idolised and was from the area. There wasn't too much pressure for him there either. He then gets a 35m price tag and the pressure is on as he has moved to the next step, a step I don't thin he is capable of taking. I feel sorry for the lad really.

Its still to early to judge Carroll but I must admit his lack of pace is a real worry.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Oh give over. He is £15m wasted and adds nothing to what we already had. I'm not having a go at him as he is what he is but the business we have done in buying him is shocking. Had previous managers and owners bought him there'd be more of an outcry.

What you're doing is what Arsenal fans do: judging a new young player, who was purchased with development in mind, on the basis of two games. You're also not acknowledging his positives; control, passing, intelligence, movement. These things are the best building blocks a young player can have.

What's wrong with people the last little while. I'm not overly mad at how we've spent our money, but that doesn't make the players shit. We might have paid over the top to get our players, but when it comes to Henderson, we've purchased potential. Nobody in their right mind judges potential on the basis of two premier league matches, in a team two league games old. I know that people's attention spans are pretty short these days, but try to concentrate for more than five minutes. Give us a bit of time. Shit, even Raul has only been in this country for five minutes, and the same with Luis Suarez.

What you're doing is what Arsenal fans do: judging a new young player, who was purchased with development in mind, on the basis of two games. You're also not acknowledging his positives; control, passing, intelligence, movement. These things are the best building blocks a young player can have.

What's wrong with people the last little while. I'm not overly mad at how we've spent our money, but that doesn't make the players shit. We might have paid over the top to get our players, but when it comes to Henderson, we've purchased potential. Nobody in their right mind judges potential on the basis of two premier league matches, in a team two league games old. I know that people's attention spans are pretty short these days, but try to concentrate for more than five minutes. Give us a bit of time. Shit, even Raul has only been in this country for five minutes, and the same with Luis Suarez.

Henderson has played over a hundred times already, 71 times for Sunderland. How long is it going to take to develop?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Henderson has played over a hundred times already, 71 times for Sunderland. How long is it going to take to develop?

Over that time he has developed massively. The question should be: how long is it going to take him to develop into a top player for Liverpool, where we have better coaches and a better manager. The answer is unknown, but it's going to be more than two matches, one of which was fairly good.

It's a valid question. If you look closely at his performances for us and Sunderland, the things he has been lacking are a) the nouse to exploit his specific role(s) in our scheme and b) a mindset seeks out responsibility and that is aggressive in defence and assertive in attack.

He very much reminds me of the timid Lucas of a few years ago. A player who clearly had all the right bits and pieces but needed to get his head in the right place. It's difficult to know what will cause that to happen.

What is for sure though, is that keeping Miereles around for when B- performances are not an option and as a role model, makes sense for Henderson and us.

Over that time he has developed massively. The question should be: how long is it going to take him to develop into a top player for Liverpool, where we have better coaches and a better manager. The answer is unknown, but it's going to be more than two matches, one of which was fairly good.

Then i get back to my original point, it was lunacy to pay out £15m on someone we have to develop. Enrique has played the same-ish number of seasons but has settled in immediately and was a third of the price.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Then i get back to my original point, it was lunacy to pay out £15m on someone we have to develop.

I don't agree with that at all. He's clearly a good player now, and he has the ability, so the manager clearly reckons, to be worth much, much more in the future. That's what football is about now - getting players before you have to pay 50m for them.

Enrique has played the same-ish number of seasons
That's just wrong.

but has settled in immediately and was a third of the price.
Deary me. Enrique is 25, was in the final year of his contract and refusing to sign a new one, and was plotting a move away. Henderson was 20, had four years on his contract and hadn't been plotting a move away.

Different players settle quicker than others, especially when they're young. I've already said I'd have preferred Javi Martinez, who was reportedly available for around 18m, but we've got to give this lad time to settle in. It's the done thing.

Players as a whole develop faster these days than in the past so being 21 is old enough to be ready. However all players develop at different rates and it is far too early to know how good Henderson can become. I really don't think he was ridiculously expensive but he was still a lot of money.

I know people are saying we are buying him for his potential but right now I think that money could have been spent better on what we need now. Personally I like Henderson and hope he becomes a success but when we are talking about selling Raul to balance books and not getting in a much needed CB, striker, defensive mid and right winger then I think myself and others can be able to question the decision to buy him at the price we paid forgoing a chance to keep better or buy better.

I don't think Kenny would have bought Henderson if he had to sell Raul so I am hoping him leaving is just the papers speculating as we have so many midfielders. I am hoping we will still see Cole and Poulson leave with maybe Aqua going on loan (although i would like Aqua to stay).

Enrique is 25, Henderson 21

and Enrique was complete and utter shite in his 1st season

Henderson looks neat and tidy but is just one we will have to be patient with he doesnt do anything wrong but hasnt yet developed his game or mentality to shine, a few good performances and a bit of support from the fans might speed this along

IMO Lucas (although much improved) and Kuyt seem to play a role that they are not excellent at yet are not surplus to requirements.

IMO YO is not correct (the rest of the post makes sense...). Both Lucas and Kuyt are excellent in exactly the roles they are given, that is why they play night after night after night. Now that is an irrelevant point as far as Meireles goes, as his role is totally different to these two, even when he plays in the same general area of the field, be it RW or CM.

I'd like to see him stay, because he provides something different, options and possibilities, if you want, or if you dislike that jargon, he's got the most tattoos and the worst hairdo in the team, so he has to stay.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Still doesn't hide the fact Henderson at £15m is crazy you spaz.

You don't understand the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion', do you?

and Enrique was complete and utter shite in his 1st season

Henderson looks neat and tidy but is just one we will have to be patient with he doesnt do anything wrong but hasnt yet developed his game or mentality to shine, a few good performances and a bit of support from the fans might speed this along

Totally agree mate, the more I watch him he reminds me of Lampard at west ham

I've said this before Kenny has obviously seen something in him, he mentioned him in his book so he's obviously had his eye on him for a while.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Totally agree mate, the more I watch him he reminds me of Lampard at west ham

I've said this before Kenny has obviously seen something in him, he mentioned him in his book so he's obviously had his eye on him for a while.

What did he say about him in his book, Paddy?

What did he say about him in his book, Paddy?

He was just talking about how Steve Bruce had given him his chance early and the likes, I read the book while on holidays in June when the news broke we wanted him, he doesn't mention many other non lfc or players he didn't work with, so it gave me the impression he was a player he'd watched from an early age

IMO YO is not correct (the rest of the post makes sense...). Both Lucas and Kuyt are excellent in exactly the roles they are given, that is why they play night after night after night. Now that is an irrelevant point as far as Meireles goes, as his role is totally different to these two, even when he plays in the same general area of the field, be it RW or CM.

I'd like to see him stay, because he provides something different, options and possibilities, if you want, or if you dislike that jargon, he's got the most tattoos and the worst hairdo in the team, so he has to stay.

Interesting. I see Kuyt as being a guy that is a very hard worker, gets stuck in and obedient. He is given a role and he does it to the best of his ability. I just don't think his ability is enough for Liverpool. I know what his role is but i see a winger being different. I don't think the best attribute of my right winger is to be hard working.

I want my right winger to be a good crosser, fast, can beat a man, rarely loses the ball and has a very good touch. If he also scores goals that would be great too. Now very few players have it all but I expect them to have a few of these attributes. I don't think Kuyt has any of them, bar he does sometimes put in a good cross. He actually makes great runs but is too slow to make them count most of the time.

I think Lucas' role should be taken by someone that can really tackle well and boss a midfield like Mash used to do. I see Lucas as being a jack of all trades but master of none.

You don't understand the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion', do you?

Of course it's fact. How is £15m justified for potential? Alexis Sanchez was bought for €3m and sold for €26m, that's how you purchase potential not by paying established player prices.