You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do we have a better squad than 01-02 and 08-09?

Paco

Just shows those kind of blanket stats are basically useless- because according to that he got less points per game than Rafa, qualified by the short sample size. But if you take his first stint he's managing at a time of clear Liverpool hegemony. Basically, can't use these kind of numbers to tell you anything (though Code may well try).

Well obviously we were fucking great under Kenny the first time round, and he obviously enjoyed a well run club which knew how to win. Of course Kenny was part of the reason why we were used to winning.

Anyway, goals scored in Kenny's first stint are pretty much identical to his results last season. If we continue to score at this pretty high rate and it translates into results over the long term then maybe we can read something into it.

I personally don't think so, although I'm not especially arsed. I think our spine was stronger in both those sides, marginally so under Houllier with Hamann and Hyypia, but much more so under Rafa. That spine of players was probably the best in Europe on its day.

The reason I'm not concerned though is that we have what we didn't have back then. We have a system which is the same throughout the club, a method of attack which isn't focussed solely on individual strengths of a handful of attacking players, and a great deal more squad players who are interchangable and are all capable of the basics.

The mancs' and arses' strength in recent years has been the fact that all of their players, even their poorest ones, can pass a ball under pressure - the same couldn't always be said about ours. They also had a system that was the same at every level, from youth team to reserves to first team - we didn't.

The distinction I'd draw is like that between Dalglish's Blackburn and our side of the same era. Liverpool had players in key positions who had more ability, players like Fowler, McMannaman and Redknapp, but Blackburn had a system - balance and width, they won things and we didn't. That's what we've got now.