You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So i'm fairly new to posting on this forum, but I thought i'd share this and see how I get shouted down or what people think.

Can't shake the feeling that this summers business..Adam, I think will be a good signing. Henderson, I think is a player with good technique and potential. Downing, I think is an as on the tin purchase, he won't be Messi, but he'll be consistently good, not great, not league winning game changing, but a strong team cog who is consistent in what we bought him to do..provide with, reasonable pace and balls in the box.

The concern I have is that if Suarez is missing, where is the thrust coming from? Is Andy Carroll going to deliver what we hope him to? I like him, but i'm not sure.

Is having Lucas as our sole DM, and while I rate him, is this a flaw in the squad? Would we have benefitted from a Matuidi or an M'Vila to cover the defence? A nagging feeling feels it would.

And while we hopefully will acquire a centre half who is dominant in the air and has pace, will a failure to do so be an achilles heel this season. Nagging feeling it will.

While I like our purchases, I feel that the money from Adam and Henderson would have been better spent on an enforcer (we have good CM's in Meireles, Aquilani and Gerrard, not sure the new purchases make us better in that respect), while we have missed one since we lost Mascherano.

Carroll, the jury is out, Suarez will miss some games, did or do we need another striker who we can count on. Feel we do.

And of course we need a centre back.

Full of optimism about the new season, but there appear to be weaknesses in our squad which concern me given we've just spent 60 million pounds.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't Understand the signing of Carroll, and why we are buying players to build the team around him.

Our best football under The King last year was in the games where Carroll was missing. United at home,Fulham away and Birmingham at home. It was great to see the team passing and moving, playing good attacking football. I can't help but think we should have just waited until the summer and gone for somebody like Aguero, who'd have fitted into this style of football, but instead we will now have to play a more direct style in order to play to Carrolls strengths.

Its clear that we need a left back and a centre back. I hope we are just waiting to get rid of a few players before we buy again and that we haven't finished spending this summer.

Guest San Don

We are going to be rebuilding for a season or two but we'll definitely be better than last season.

After where the club was at this time last year, people need to get a bit of perspective at the changes being made.

Rome wasnt built in a day afterall.

Guest davelfc
I really don't Understand the signing of Carroll, and why we are buying players to build the team around him.

Our best football under The King last year was in the games where Carroll was missing. United at home,Fulham away and Birmingham at home. It was great to see the team passing and moving, playing good attacking football. I can't help but think we should have just waited until the summer and gone for somebody like Aguero, who'd have fitted into this style of football, but instead we will now have to play a more direct style in order to play to Carrolls strengths.

Its clear that we need a left back and a centre back. I hope we are just waiting to get rid of a few players before we buy again and that we haven't finished spending this summer.

You've answered your own question there, you're right in that we played better without Carroll as Suarez ran the show.

But it was precisely because we we're not set up to take advantage of Carroll's strengths that it appeared this way.

Suarez is incredible, when he makes those turns and runs forward, well things happen. Look how it benefitted Kuyt to be nearby when Suarez was creating his magic.

But we are not a team based on one player now, yes we can certainly play to Carroll's strengths but imagine how much better Suarez will be with our additions. Hell just imagine how much better we will be with just the new signings.

I'd hate to be a defender having to cope with Suarez but having to cope with Carroll too. Time to be positive I feel, not have nagging doubts.

You've answered your own question there, you're right in that we played better without Carroll as Suarez ran the show.

But it was precisely because we we're not set up to take advantage of Carroll's strengths that it appeared this way.

Suarez is incredible, when he makes those turns and runs forward, well things happen. Look how it benefitted Kuyt to be nearby when Suarez was creating his magic.

But we are not a team based on one player now, yes we can certainly play to Carroll's strengths but imagine how much better Suarez will be with our additions. Hell just imagine how much better we will be with just the new signings.

I'd hate to be a defender having to cope with Suarez but having to cope with Carroll too. Time to be positive I feel, not have nagging doubts.

Good post. Our oppositions will be shit scared of our strike force. I trust King Kenny and will not question his decisions, mind he's the King.

I think the problem will come if the players try and play a more direct style of football in a mistaken attempt to try to play to Andy Carroll's strengths.

Andy Carroll will be an asset if we play good passing football and have him in the box getting on the end of things.

If we swing in too many shit crosses that are easy to defend we will not be playing to Andy Carroll's strengths.

Don't see the need to neg him when he has some valid points. If Carroll turns out to be a cracker target man that's a positive thing. If Wigan come to Anfield and park the bus and we need someone to produce a bit of magic, skin two defenders and slot it home, will Carroll be able to deliver?

I don't think we'll spend whatever funds we have left available on a striker personally, with Kuyt in the squad we have adequate cover should Carroll and Suarez get injured but I think OP has a right to his opinion without being negged/slagged off.

Back to the MF for me!

I think the problem will come if the players try and play a more direct style of football in a mistaken attempt to try to play to Andy Carroll's strengths.

Andy Carroll will be an asset if we play good passing football and have him in the box getting on the end of things.

If we swing in too many shit crosses that are easy to defend we will not be playing to Andy Carroll's strengths.

Agreed.

We played brilliantly against Citeh when Carroll scored twice.

But it was lovely, confident pass and move stuff... not just long, hopeful ball crap.

So it can be done.

Don't see the need to neg him when he has some valid points. If Carroll turns out to be a cracker target man that's a positive thing. If Wigan come to Anfield and park the bus and we need someone to produce a bit of magic, skin two defenders and slot it home, will Carroll be able to deliver?

I don't think we'll spend whatever funds we have left available on a striker personally, with Kuyt in the squad we have adequate cover should Carroll and Suarez get injured but I think OP has a right to his opinion without being negged/slagged off.

Back to the MF for me!

Henderson, Adam, Gerrard, and Suarez are all capable of a incising ball, that defenses can't really guard against... All have great movement too.

We no longer need to rely on one player making magic. That's the whole idea.

Fuck your nagging feeling.

Less than 8 months ago the club was on its knees.

But we're not now, so I don't think an argument like this holds water.

I agree with the OP. I am not criticising what players we have in for the money spent, just concerned we are still lacking a creative spark and some pace.

The concern I have is that if Suarez is missing, where is the thrust coming from?

Sorry to anyone that this winds up, but I've got the same fears. I think we might sign another attacker/creative player though so aren't throwing toys out of the pram, etc. Just waiting to see what happens. I think Kenny might be seeing this too to some extent.

Of course we have other options, but without Suarez there seems to be a big lack of creativity. Also hoping Stevie comes back at his best, because that might be enough if we don't sign another creative attacking player.

I think the other options are fine, and combine to make an excellent team, possibly the best, but only with Suarez (and obviously Stevie if he's on form.) on the pitch too, so things can be mixed up enough.

Am kind of biased too though, as I prefer creative players. That's not to say I'm not totally behind Carroll and Downing, just need to see how it works, and for some reason I think it will do. Just might take a bit of time and enough of our best players back in the team.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Don't see the need to neg himwhen he has some valid points. If Carroll turns out to be a cracker target man that's a positive thing. If Wigan come to Anfield and park the bus and we need someone to produce a bit of magic, skin two defenders and slot it home, will Carroll be able to deliver?

Back to the MF for me!

Surely that's counterproductive?

Fuck your nagging feeling.

Hahahaha!

Welcome to The Liverpool Way!

I sort of agree with your points, I think. I say "I think", I skim-read your post and didn't really take it in properly.

We should have bought a Matuidi type. We probably should have some concerns over Carroll. Erm, and whatever else you said.

In before Abs' inevitable "You're shit" post - fuck off.

You have some valid doubts, if the Hull game is anything to go by, we'll be fucking awful without Suarez. This isn't Carroll's fault per se. He can play in a pass and move team, he's showed some nice touches. This is about the rest of the players just hitting shit crosses to him all day, not even thinking about doing something else. That's something Kenny will have to beat out of the players.

Some players I believe can do better, like Adam and Henderson. But we have other, more limited players who might struggle more with the pass & move concept. So we can start by signing some more players who don't treat the ball like a live hand grenade that you want to kick as far away as possible from you, as fast as possible. I'm looking at you, Dirk and Carra, and you, you fucking Greek clogger.

Then we'll be good.

Rant over.