You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest ShoePiss
Is there a specific reason the Charlie Adam thread has flared up again?

I'll admit, I'm not up with the news lately, so pardon my lack of informedness.

Yeah, he was spotted in the wild, grazing.

• 2 months later...

In the Premier League, Charlie Adam has played for 3 different clubs in the last 3 seasons and each time, the team's form has nosedived in the new year. It's got to the point where it is almost as predictable as him launching himself at Gareth Bale's ankles. Also noticeable is just how much his teams struggle to score goals in games.

---

Blackpool 2010/11:

League form up to 31st Dec:

P 17...W 7...D 4...L 6...F 26...A 29...GD -3...Pts 25

League form after 1st Jan:

P 21...W 3...D 5...L 13...F 29...A 49...GD -20...Pts 14

---

Liverpool 2011/12:

P 19...W 9...D 7...L 3...F 24...A 15...GD +9...Pts 34

P 19...W 5...D 3...L 11...F 23...A 25...GD -2...Pts 18

---

Stoke 2012/13:

P 20...W 6...D 11...L 3...F 26...A 29...GD -3...Pts 29

League form after 1st Jan (2 games of the season still to play):

P 16...W 3...D 3...L 10...F 11...A 25...GD -14...Pts 12

---

Make of that what you will.

Guest San Don
In the Premier League, Charlie Adam has played for 3 different clubs in the last 3 seasons and each time, the team's form has nosedived in the new year. It's got to the point where it is almost as predictable as him launching himself at Gareth Bale's ankles. Also noticeable is just how much his teams struggle to score goals in games.

---

Blackpool 2010/11:

P 17...W 7...D 4...L 6...F 26...A 29...GD -3...Pts 25

P 21...W 3...D 5...L 13...F 29...A 49...GD -20...Pts 14

---

Liverpool 2011/12:

P 19...W 9...D 7...L 3...F 24...A 15...GD +9...Pts 34

P 19...W 5...D 3...L 11...F 23...A 25...GD -2...Pts 18

---

Stoke 2012/13:

P 20...W 6...D 11...L 3...F 26...A 29...GD -3...Pts 29

League form after 1st Jan (2 games of the season still to play):

P 16...W 3...D 3...L 10...F 11...A 25...GD -14...Pts 12

---

Make of that what you will.

Er yes, those stats are pretty shit just like when the fat sweaty lass code72 uses them to support any argument. Like it or not, adam was instrumental in getting a 3rd division side (in everything except physically being in that division) to the prem.

We also get better results when Suarez doesnt play, just as we got better results when gerrard didnt play.

should we drop them too?

Er yes, those stats are pretty shit just like when the fat sweaty lass code72 uses them to support any argument. Like it or not, adam was instrumental in getting a 3rd division side (in everything except physically being in that division) to the prem.

We also get better results when Suarez doesnt play, just as we got better results when gerrard didnt play.

should we drop them too?

Wow you are an angry man aren't you? Did you notice when I pointed out that these numbers related to the performance of the 3 clubs Charlie Adam has been a part of since he's been in the Premier League? The whole reason I looked into this was that since Stoke beat us at the end of December, they've been displaying relegation form. Blackpool were doing well (Adam was certainly instrumental in that) and were in the top half of the table, but their post-Christmas form saw them relegated in the end. Liverpool weren't doing badly and some good performances were not resulting in wins because we just weren't able to convert chances. After a while, the team's performances tailed off and the chances dried up, causing a sequence of results more befitting of a side battling relegation.

I'm not naive enough to think Charlie Adam is the root cause of these problems. Rather, it has been a consistent pattern in teams he's been a part of since playing in the Premier League. It's a bit like Neil Redfearn getting relegated from the Premier League for 3 years running back in the late 90s (Barnsley, Charlton and Watford), or Hermann Hreidarsson being relegated with every team he played for in the Premier League (Palace, Wimbledon, Ipswich, Charlton and Portsmouth). Both are consistent factors in those teams rather than the reason those teams did so badly.

Hes a decent player who does alright when you set the team up around him playing as an attacking midfielder.

Thats fine at Stoke or Blackpool. At Liverpool hes nowhere near good enough to be accommodated like that so you end up shunting him in as a Central midfielder which just doesn't work. He might do ok as a central midfielder for a mid table club but not for us.

Why are people complaining about him? Gerrard was out injured, we bought a player quite cheap to replace him for a while, he served his purpose for the time he was needed, and then he was moved on the next summer. We knew exactly what he was and got pretty much that. Some people need to calm the fuck down and realise we can't sign world class players all the fucking time.

Minus £50 m for Torres and £5 for Babel.

Thats half of what Rodgers has spent so far.

The only transfer I would question is Borini at £10.5m. The others I have no problem with Allen at £15m, Sturridge at £12m and Coutinho at £8.5m.

What's the point you're trying to make. My point is we wasted £80m. I don't think Brendan has wasted any of his transfer kitty.

The only transfer I would question is Borini at £10.5m. The others I have no problem with Allen at £15m' date=' Sturridge at £12m and Coutinho at £8.5m.

What's the point you're trying to make. My point is we wasted £80m. I don't think Brendan has wasted any of his transfer kitty.[/quote']

You don't think average joe was a waste of £15m, he's no better than the player we sent to Bolton on loan and Henderson is twice the player he is, an absolute pointless signing if there was ever one.

You don't think average joe was a waste of £15m, he's no better than the player we sent to Bolton on loan and Henderson is twice the player he is, an absolute pointless signing if there was ever one.

I was thinking the same thing.

Why are people complaining about him? Gerrard was out injured, we bought a player quite cheap to replace him for a while, he served his purpose for the time he was needed, and then he was moved on the next summer. We knew exactly what he was and got pretty much that. Some people need to calm the fuck down and realise we can't sign world class players all the fucking time.

He flies under the radar a bit because we spunked massive amounts of money on other shit piles.

He cost us around 6 million quid for his one season for us, the oaf couldn't and still cant get himself fit enough to play 90 minutes, 60/65 minutes and thats yer lot, hands on knees blowing out of his arse after that.

He had a decent first 7/8 games but it makes you wonder what was going on when no-one at the club realised how slow and unfit he was before bending over for fucking Blackpool! and paying 9 million quid on him.

All in all another awful signing and waste of millions.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Minus £50 m for Torres and £5 for Babel.

But surely you see that makes it worse? Spending £35m on Carroll is bad enough. Losing Torres at the same time adds insult to extreme overpayment.

Thats half of what Rodgers has spent so far.

So Kenny's net spent, without his second most expensive signing, is less than Rodgers' gross spend? Knockout.

I personally think Rodgers has spent pretty well. Allen is a really good footballer, even if he has only shown it in spells for us at the moment. I do accept the argument that his position might not have been the most important, but I don't think Rodgers was planning on Borini being out injured for most of the season and not getting Dempsey. Coutinho at 8m is a brilliant piece of business. £12m on Sturridge looks good value, too.

It's not about amounts as much as it is hit-rates and value. £35m for Andy isn't good value. £20m for Downing isn't good value. Neither are good enough to play for Liverpool consistently, let alone for the price we paid - regardless of who sanctioned the money or chose to pay that much. Coutinho, on the other hand, shows how money should be spent. he money wasted is incredible. That's over the space of the last 3 owners and the last 4 managers. We need to get our shit together.

honestly who cares? Sometimes the forum sounds like an old couple arguing about each others spending habits. No manager is going to get transfers 100% right because buying and selling players is more art than science, its inherently risky. Mistakes also happen at every club.

Do you mean as in height? Allen is better footballer than both. I reckon Hendo comes in a good third.

Allen may need time to settle.You know, like we've allowed Hendo.