You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then how do you explain why one has a European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, two La Ligas and an 86 point season to his name whereas the other's crowning achievement was the Liechtenstein Milkwood Cup (or whatever tinpot league he won in 1963). Surely you can't attribute that solely to better defensive organization on Rafa's part.

Yes, his inherent caution held us back at crucial times but the 4-2-3-1 system produced some cracking stuff at various times. You don't outscore Man United and Real Madrid 8-1 in 5 days without a half decent attacking philosophy. Roy Hodgson coudn't conjure up a week like that in his wildest wet dreams.

The games against Madrid and Manchester Utd are about useful as evidence for or against Rafa's approach to football is as useful as Portsmouth away or Villa at home last season. The second you start scratching for individual results as proof of anything is the second you are no longer arguing your point.

Rafa WAS a defensive manager. That's just how he was. And when we had the players to do very well, his cautiousness tended to work against us.

I'm glad he's gone, but unfortunately his replacement is worse. Much, much worse.

08-09 Liverpool scored 119 goals in all competitions....if you think that is the same football as Roy's then you are a massive tool.

43 of those goals came post-Middlesbrough result, which is a bit like waiting an hour for a bus when you're late, then seeing 20 come at once.

For everyone bringing Rafa into it, Portsmouth away last season was FAR worse than last night.

But I suppose we're just meant to remember the Rafa that conquered all for 6 years straight.

For everyone bring portsmouth away last season into it we were away and down to ten men by half time. Interestingly, we still had more possession than we did last night.

43 of those goals came post-Middlesbrough result, which is a bit like waiting an hour for a bus when you're late, then seeing 20 come at once.

You mean our second and final defeat in a season where we got 86 points, a total which would have won the league last season and will probably win it this year?

I think Benitez was concerned with stopping the opposition first, so I see what you're saying Diablo.

Although in general the plan was to play a high line and press the opposition in their half, then keep the ball when we had it. So in that sense we did impose our game on the opposition. However we didn't take too many risks with players moving out of their designated positions - even attackers were under strict instructions to maintain shape to keep the pressure on the ball. Therefore we looked stale when attacking quite a lot of the time.

Hodgson's plan seems to be sit really deep with as little width as possible then hope we have more room for counter attacking. Unfortunately we're really bad at defending because we give the opposition plenty of room on the ball, and we're really bad at counter attacking.

Doing this with the lack of pace we have is simply retarded, but then again it's Roy......

For everyone bringing Rafa into it, Portsmouth away last season was FAR worse than last night.

But I suppose we're just meant to remember the Rafa that conquered all for 6 years straight.

No were supposed to remember the good he's gone now & to stop comparing our current managers cluelessness to Rafas worst season as a way of trying to defend the unbelievable shite we are having to tollerate.

Guest davelfc

This was as meaningless a match as Liverpool will play in Europe but, such is Roy Hodgson's lot, the accusations continued to head in his direction. A U-turn on the decision to deploy Fernando Torres and José Reina against Utrecht prompted denials of being undermined by Liverpool's medical staff or using their names to sell tickets. Worst of all, however, was the innate caution of a side that had, in Hodgson's words, nothing to lose. Those who gained free admission were considering compensation by the end.

John W Henry and Tom Werner, Liverpool's new chairman, missed a sterile display having returned to the United States to attend a funeral. Liverpool had already qualified as group winners but they showed little evidence of an upturn in a season the owners had deemed unacceptable only 48 hours earlier. The home side started with seven internationals on the pitch and had two shots on target all night. Both were easily saved by Michel Vorm, thereby depriving Liverpool of the chance to equal a club record nine successive home victories in Europe.

"We are all disappointed by the game," said Hodgson. "I was hoping with so many here for the first time [under-16s had been allowed in free] that we would produce a sparking performance. It wasn't for the want of trying but we lacked technical quality in the final third. We got ourselves into positions where we should have been capable of doing something but, even worse, we gave the ball away and allowed them to get on the attack." No names were mentioned but it would have been surprising if Hodgson did not have Joe Cole in mind.

"He sets himself high standards and I'm sure he came off the field feeling it wasn't the performance he wanted to give," the manager said of Cole. "He knows he is better than that and he knows he can do better than that. It was just unfortunate he wasn't able to show that."

Only at Liverpool could a dead rubber be brought to life by controversy and conspiracy. Hodgson was unequivocal on the team selection on the eve of the game as he revealed he had torn up his Europa League policy in order to play Torres and Reina from the start, the former due to form and a minor injury to David Ngog, the latter for unspecified reasons. Both Spaniards were keen to play and to get the misery of the defeat by Newcastle United out of their system but Torres remained on the bench and Reina was excluded altogether.

Hodgson's explanation contained a first – an apology for misleading the press – and made absolute sense. But it did little to dispel the suspicion that Liverpool's manager must cede authority to Dr Peter Brukner, the club's head of sports science and sports medicine, even when tryingto rebuild momentum for Saturday's reunion with Fulham. "It wasn't Peter but the physical conditioning people who changed my mind," he said.

"I had a change of heart. I must apologise to the reporters. I was certainly considering giving Fernando a start. I thought it would be a nice game for him and a chance for him to get his confidence back. But I also had a talk to our fitness people and they made me see sense that it wasn't the wisest thing to do. We have already qualified and, if he played, he would be taking the place of a young player who needs the chance to stake his place in the team. And of course it would be very bad for us if he picked up an injury. The same applied to Pepe Reina. They made me see sense, I listened to the reason around me and I changed my mind. I am a bit sad that, unintentionally, I tricked some supporters and a few journalists."

His argument that it was needless to risk Torres to injury was strengthened when Utrecht lost their leading forward, Ricky van Wolfswinkel, to a serious shoulder injury on the stroke of half-time. He was taken to hospital with a suspected broken collarbone and is expected to be absent for two months. Hodgson said: "To be honest my ultimate satisfaction is that we have everyone fresh for Fulham. I don't regret doing it. I am allowed to change my mind. We had sold almost 40,000 tickets before the game so there was no question of me using a name to sell tickets."

The game itself was a sideshow. Nevertheless, it did not augur well for Hodgson when Anfield began chanting "attack, attack, attack" with the contest in its embryonic stage and Liverpool's rigid formation failing to excite.

Nathan Eccleston was given a first Liverpool start in place of Torres and made his presence felt after only six minutes. Unfortunately it was for a dangerous challenge through Mihai Nesu that warranted the booking he received. Milan Jovanovic looked to have accepted the need to impress when he drifted inside the Utrecht midfield and unleashed a fine 25-yard drive that Vorm tipped on to his crossbar shortly afterwards. That was a rare highlight in the first half, however. as a cautious and often careless Liverpool tested even the patience of those who had come to enjoy a freebie.

Hodgson's resolve was stretched too. He sent Torres out for a warm-up, and a warning to those on the pitch, after half an hour and words were evidently exchanged at half-time on the evidence of a more purposeful second half. Ryan Babel twice went close to giving Liverpool the lead while Cole had a goalbound effort blocked late on. Irrespective of who was on parade, this was unacceptable.

Liverpool 0-0 Utrecht | Europa League match report | Football | The Guardian

Maybe if he had played Cole in his preferred position.

Oh and at least someone can make him see sense, shame it's too little too late.

Liverpool 0-0 Utrecht | Europa League match report | Football | The Guardian

Maybe if he had played Cole in his preferred position.

Oh and at least someone can make him see sense, shame it's too little too late.

Thats 2 or 3 articles now today having a pop at him.

The tide is beginning to turn in the media it would seem. I expect Paddy Barclays twitter will be going into hodgson defense overdrive shortly.

I can finally post! My hotel connection last night wouldn't let me log on...

I was fuming after that game. Babel had a shocker in my opinion. Not as lazy as he used to be but all of his work was in dropping deep and pulling wide, he rarely even looked at a centre back in possession let alone press them. It's not a shock he looked okay up top when playing alongside N'Gog as N'Gog is a striker, naturally he has the mentality to challenge for the ball in the box. Babel NEVER does this. Not one real effort to get on the end of any crossfield passes or challenge a defender for a ball in the air. If you are a striker you HAVE to take these gambles as even if you don't come away with the ball you'll create problems. I can't believe he played all 90 minutes there... I can barely understand how he made it past 20.

Skrtel and Soto both went for balls they would never win and are both fortunate that Wilson was in the mood to prove himself. Colly went on after the game about no-one putting themselves forwards but I thought both him and Shelvey did.

Shelvey was severely hampered though... in the 2nd half he did ALL of the DM duties. covering CBs and FBs, trying to make the tackle on a breaking man and standing up to a playmaker to let the defence prepare. We looked very comfortable at the back largely down to his efforts at the one point in the game that the play opened up. Poulsen was shocking, it's one thing to have a bad game but to unload your responsibilities onto a kid who should be focusing on the more expansive parts of his game is nigh on unforgiveable.

Pacheco did pretty well for five/ten minutes. Shame Eccleston had to go off as he links with him well for the ressies. Pacheco's confidence seemed to leave a bit the longer he stayed on though and he gave the ball away a bit, hopefully these glimpses will get him a loan deal for at least part of the second half of the season. He needs that experience before he can make the step up. He is a class act though. He should have had that free kick, in the ressies some of his goals have been Zola-esque, particularly his free kicks.

Cole looked twice the player when in the hole today, he was really up for it but for all his work the layout of the team left him handicapped for most of the match. The same could be said for Jovanovic. If we had a winger on the wing we may have had someone attacking the back post more often, Jovo instead was stepping inside in what was probably a naive attempt to show he wants a go as the striker. Good luck Jovo, I think you'd be better up there, but you might need to sign up to twitter and pretend to be a rapper to get a shot up top.

I haven't sought out Roy's comments yet but if he says a single thing about him giving people a shot and them failing him he's talking shite. He needs to set the team up in a way that encourages these players to show off their strengths. Maxi is a key example, he's given him more rein recently. Why wasn't Cole or Pacheco given that kind of freedom? Why was Fabio not crossing the halfway line in the first half when he was the best crosser in the side? Why was shelvey covering the defensive midfielder role for most of the game? Why did we line up so fucking deep!?

Well done to the kids, I thought Jovo and Cole showed a bit more that they have potential, good job Fabio, 90 minutes is a big step. Poulsen and Babel... No excuses.

Boring match, but i enjoyed my trip!

Unfortunatly the stewards of liverpool wheren't so friendly.

Anyway, good luck in the europaleauge ;)

Cheers. It seems your support made a good impression on our match reviewer.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/1st-team-2010-2011/97432-liverpool-0-fc-utrecht-0-europa-league-group-match-6-dec-15-2010-a.html

One of the stewards posts on here under the name Antynwa. Feel free to abuse him as much as you want.

And good luck for the rest of your season.

Cheers. It seems your support made a good impression on our match reviewer.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/1st-team-2010-2011/97432-liverpool-0-fc-utrecht-0-europa-league-group-match-6-dec-15-2010-a.html

One of the stewards posts on here under the name Antynwa. Feel free to abuse him as much as you want.

And good luck for the rest of your season.

Some of them were very friendly. But i can't say anything positive about the 'head steward'.

The problem: I entered Anfield at 6 o'clock, because i want to stand in the front of the away sector. Immediatly the head steward asked us to show our tickets. And he said we should go to our own seat. But in Holland we never take place on our own seat, we just want to sit with our friends. Especially in away matches. Nobody cares about his own seat.... It was very frustrating for all the Utrecht fans. We just want to support our team in a positive way ;) It's difficult to explain with my bad english haha.;)

Without doubt the single most boring game of football I've ever witnessed in my life.

It may be mine also. Was at the game and Utrect had a shot in the 2nd half and i thought to myself how many shots had been in the game. What had happened in the previous 50 mins or so as i could'nt remember, i concluded i must have been abducted by aliens. The only thing keeping me awake was the Utrect fans who were boss before and during the match.

The problem: I entered Anfield at 6 o'clock, because i want to stand in the front of the away sector. Immediatly the head steward asked us to show our tickets. And he said we should go to our own seat. But in Holland we never take place on our own seat, we just want to sit with our friends. Especially in away matches. Nobody cares about his own seat....

Welcome to English football stadiums. There are numbers on those tickets for a reason.