You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poulsen devasted by form

1892-LFCWasBorn

Christian Poulsen will prove his Liverpool worth, says Roy Hodgson

• Christian Poulsen 'devastated' by form at Liverpool

• Roy Hodgson still has faith in £4.5m Danish midfielder

* Andy Hunter

* The Guardian, Friday 12 November 2010

Christian Poulsen of Liverpool with Roy Hodgson in August, after his move from Juventus Christian Poulsen of Liverpool with Roy Hodgson in August, after his move from Juventus. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Roy Hodgson has defended his £4.5m purchase of Christian Poulsen despite admitting the midfielder will struggle to win acceptance from Liverpool supporters after a poor start to his Anfield career.

The Denmark international has endured a torrid time since his arrival from Juventus in the summer, when he was signed by Hodgson, his former manager at Copenhagen, as a replacement for the Barcelona-bound Javier Mascherano. Poulsen was withdrawn to ironic jeers against Napoli at Anfield last week while his 73rd-minute introduction for Dirk Kuyt during Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Wigan was booed by Liverpool fans.

Poulsen's price will rise to £5.5m depending on achievements at Liverpool and though Hodgson refused to defend the Dane at all costs he is confident the 30-year-old will justify the price tag and his judgment.

"He was good against Wigan, his introduction secured the point at least because he was very good when he came on," the Liverpool manager said. "Unfortunately I can't do anything about the fans, but he's had one or two games in front of our crowd where he's not played well and he knows he hasn't. He is devastated by that and the crowd, who aren't stupid, know he's not played well. It's a fact of life.

"He can only keep working hard and when he gets his chance he has to get on with his job. He had a job to do against Wigan and without his introduction, with a very tired Maxi Rodríguez and Dirk Kuyt, who knows we could even have lost the game. But he's got quality, he's a good defensive midfield player. He's not that bad on the ball, but let's not beat about the bush and try to disguise the fact – he's had a bad start."

Poulsen also struggled in Italy and in Spain with Sevilla and Hodgson admits the failure to make a positive early impression in England has had an impact on the midfielder. The manager said: "When I took him off in one game he was devastated, not just because I'd made the decision but because he knows he was nowhere near the level he can play. He knows having played in Italy, for Juventus, that when you play well the crowd sing your name and when you're not playing well they boo you. He knows that. But I have every faith in him. We will get a lot of good use out of him over the year but he knows it will be tough to win the fans over.

"I can't wave a magic wand to do that, I can't speak for them, but I'd be surprised if the ones at Wigan said he didn't do anything for the team because he did. He won a lot of challenges, got us on the counterattack on several occasions, didn't miss a pass and won a few headers. He's devastated because he wants to do well, because that's what he came to Liverpool to do. Every player gets sad if they're not immediately accepted by the crowd or if their performances aren't good enough to do that. But he's doing his best and people have bad games."

Christian Poulsen will prove his Liverpool worth, says Roy Hodgson | Football | The Guardian

What's more alarming is the shit that Roy continually comes out with.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathetic. Roy should be keeping his kind words for Shelvey - who I think struggled when he came on at Wigan - rather than trying to big up an experienced 30-year old international.

Poulsen = Roy's representative on grass (not bad at what he does, just clearly not Liverpool standard).

Once again: pathetic.

He can fuck off if he's trying to win Poulsen the sympathy vote. Having seen the guy play with my own eyes this season I find it hard to get over the fact he cost us £5m.

Booing/jeering your own players is inexcusable in my 'umble, but the guy has been shocking.

Pathetic. Roy should be keeping his kind words for Shelvey - who I think struggled when he came on at Wigan - rather than trying to big up an experienced 30-year old international.

Poulsen = Roy's representative on grass (not bad at what he does, just clearly not Liverpool standard).

Once again: pathetic.

A new lowpoint for the internet.

The two things that fuck me off most with Poulsen are 1) his hapless commitment to 60/40 (against him) balls he's never going to win, which leave him miles out of position when he predictably fails to win them, and 2) his meandering back when he is out of position and the other team are on the attack. Run, Christian! You're not playing pub football. Get back and defend.

Both could -- you would think -- be remedied, but the fact he's taken such a lackadaisical attitude onto the pitch suggests that they probably won't be.

I get the feeling Roy was signing Poulsen based on his ability when he he first worked with him, and had not watched him for a few years - considering he was apparently abject in both Spain and Italy, it was a moronic acquisition.

Thats what I've been thinking also. Even some of Hodgsons quotes around the time we signed him suggested as much. Which just makes it even worse.

Guest PurpleNose

He wasn't abject in Spain. He was alright at Sevilla, albeit it in a completely different system where they had wingers, passed the ball, and tried winning games.

He's just massively past it, and in the most physically demanding league in Europe.

I always end up feeling sorry for the players who aren't good enough, but actually try, and clearly care. Must feel fucking horrible being booed off by your own fans, regardless how much money you earn.

I have no anger towards Poulsen. The mistake was signing him.

I think I remember Roy saying something like he'd been following Poulsen for years because he was the one who gave him his big break or something like that. But he couldn't have been watching too hard because he was dogshit at Juventus.

In fairness apparently he was decent at Sevilla so maybe Roy thinks he will regain the form he showed there.

"But I have every faith in him. We will get a lot of good use out of him over the year but he knows it will be tough to win the fans over."

Singular!, Poulsen out in January??:drool:

I think Lucas has established himself well ahead of Poulsen now so I'd imagine Roy means we'll be getting a bit of use out of him in Europe and in the latter stages of games when players are tiring over the course of the year.