You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boardwalk Empire

Iantn

Loving this now. I've fuck all to watch so 'acquired' 4 series of this. Finished it in a week.

Started watching it when it first launched but couldn't stand the sight and sound of the bloody Irish woman. Still can't but things have improved dramatically. It is all still a bit daft and at times silly but great fun. Still too many love interests in it for me to rate it as a classic but still well worth the watch.

• 4 weeks later...

its a shame that harrow got killed but as I said earlier in the thread when he got married I could see him getting killed off. They finally gave him some happiness and then hes gone.

Tv shows seem to overplay this tactic these days. Its become a little obvious and annoying if im honest. Harrow was a great character and it would have been good to see him continue his salvation from outsider to someone who actually ends up happy.

Narcisse v chalky was over too quick and eli killing the agent seemed an easy out for his problems. Not sure why they have hoover in the series it smacks of trying to push in more "historical" figures.

I still love the show but a bit more focus on fewer storylines would be better as its far too bloated now.

its a shame that harrow got killed but as I said earlier in the thread when he got married I could see him getting killed off. They finally gave him some happiness and then hes gone.

Tv shows seem to overplay this tactic these days. Its become a little obvious and annoying if im honest. Harrow was a great character and it would have been good to see him continue his salvation from outsider to someone who actually ends up happy.

Narcisse v chalky was over too quick and eli killing the agent seemed an easy out for his problems. Not sure why they have hoover in the series it smacks of trying to push in more "historical" figures.

I still love the show but a bit more focus on fewer storylines would be better as its far too bloated now.

I think it has always been a little bloated on story lines. even from season one - there were parts of season 1 i would watch over because I couldn't remember who the characters were.

If you've avoided finding out what happened to some of the characters in real life, then don't open the spoiler.

I've always been interested in the prohibition era, and read loads about it and also about the Chicago wars of the same time, rise of the five families etc... though it was a while ago I read most of it. For that reason I recognise most of the names as they appear in it like Joe Masseria and Johnny Torrio ( Who I knew wouldn't die when he got shot as he lived into the 1950's in real life ) and it's no surprise to me they kill off good characters like Richard Harrow and Jimmy Darmody because they are limited in what they can do to the ' real life ' characters.

The fictional characters can be killed off at will, but they are stuck with say Al Capone or Meyer Lansky, and in terms of killing those characters they have to follow the path they took in real life.

Be interesting to see how many years they jump with the next series. Dean O'Banion was killed in 1924 in real life and Torrio was shot in 1925, Rothstein was killed in 1928 and Masseria in 1931, so I reckon we're edging towards the end of Rothstein in the next series maybe. It does temper my enjoyment of the show slightly knowing what happens to some of the characters, but it's still got a good claim for best show on the TV at the moment.

I'm really, really disappointed that the next season is going to be the last. I was also hoping it would run longer to see the Capone, Luciano & Rothstein come into it more.

I wonder if we'll see the meeting of the 5 families, Valentines Day Massacre or Rothstein cop after a cards game?

If they don't, I'l be gutted.

Maybe the aboves characters will continue in a spin off and the end of Boardwalk Empire just means the end of Nucky?

Can't wait.

Gonna avoid this thread like the plague, force myself to avoid the entire series and only download it once it has finished, then set a day aside and watch it from start to finish in one wonderful big chunk.

Well I kept my promise and I've just finished the last episode of series 4.

A real slow burner this series, I thought, but right from the get go, bloody and brutal as fuck.

Set series 5 right up for a turbo charged start and all out carnage.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

And I shed a tear for Richard, his final scene was beautifully, heart achingly done, and I still think Jimmy's Ma is drop dead gorgeous.

Bring on Banshee 2.

Disappointing end to a disappointing season.

Disliked season 1, season 2 was good and season 3 was awesome - tailed off here tbh.

I agree that it's a pity that 5 will be the last, as pointed out there is a lot for Scorsese to cover in pre-War US mob history especially in NYC and Chicago, although I guess that Nucky Thompson's part in that particular story is tangential, and so telling that story through this medium ceases to make sense. That said, they have a terrific ensemble cast in place for Capone, Luciano, Roth, Lansky etc and it would make sense for the story to be told with that cast in place, either in a film or a miniseries.

Doing that would bring Scorsese's mob work almost full circle.

I don't think it was the best of the series and I can't believe they are passing up the opportunity of going right through the Capone era, they could kill nucky off or remove his character if they feel they have told his story.

Yeah but the point of the show is to loosely follow nucky Johnson's life isn't it and he didn't die till the 60's or something? I think its just as easy to finish the show and do the Capone story as a spin off if they think there's the demand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

8 episodes. 8 fucking episodes, fucking do something Mr.President.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/10/fifth-final-season-of-boardwalk-empire-to-premiere-september-7-on-hbo/281624/

The Emmy®-winning HBO drama series Boardwalk Empire will return for its eight-episode, fifth and final season Sept. 7, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

From Terence Winter, Emmy®-winning writer of “The Sopranos” and Academy Award®-winning director Martin Scorsese, Boardwalk Empire is set in the Prohibition era and chronicles the life and times of Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, the undisputed leader of Atlantic City. The first four seasons took place during the 1920s. In the final season, which takes place in the depths of the Depression in 1931, Nucky recalls his Atlantic City roots and plots a post-Prohibition future.

Among the critical raves for the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire, New York’s Daily News said it “remains must-see television drama,” while People called it “terrific” and a “gripping spectacle.” The Chicago Tribune hailed the show’s “achingly good performances,” and Variety termed it “one of TV’s most compelling dramas.”

In Sept. 2013, BOARDWALK EMPIRE received five Emmy® Awards, the most of any series, in the 65th Annual Primetime Emmy® Awards competition, including Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Bobby Cannavale); Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series; Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series; Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour); and Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series.

In 2012, the show received four Emmy® Awards, including Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Tim Van Patten). In 2011, the series led all programming with eight Emmy® Awards, including Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Martin Scorsese). In Jan. 2011, BOARDWALK EMPIRE received two Golden Globe Awards, for Best Television Series – Drama and Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama (Steve Buscemi).

In Dec. 2013, the show received three Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, including Outstanding Ensemble Performance in a Drama Series, Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series (Steve Buscemi). In both 2012 and 2011, the series received two Screen Actors Guild awards, for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series (Steve Buscemi).