You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't get where people think his passing is poor, anytime i've seen him is he keeps it simple and rarely gives it away, if i'm wrong i'll admit it in future but he's actually a decent player and a good signing considering Masch left and we didn't have much money to play with.

He also nearly played the pass of the day today when it was 2-2, he was inches away from putting in Meiriles with a brilliant ball.

I really think he's geting a raw deal in this forum from alot of people but i suppose time will tell.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get where people think his passing is poor, anytime i've seen him is he keeps it simple and rarely gives it away, if i'm wrong i'll admit it in future but he's actually a decent player and a good signing considering Masch left and we didn't have much money to play with.

He also nearly played the pass of the day today when it was 2-2, he was inches away from putting in Meiriles with a brilliant ball.

I really think he's geting a raw deal in this forum from alot of people but i suppose time will tell.

Pretty much anyone can keep it simple and rarely give it away though!

He's mostly played slow passes backwards or sideways, bar the odd speculator, normally lofted, that hasn't reached it's target.

There are rarely quick balls into feet that help get us going, and rarely forward. Still, it is early days and he could improve as the team gets better and more used to playing together. I just haven't seen that much promise in his attributes so far to make me confident he'll ever be a really good player.

It's similar to some of the critiques of Konchesky as well. Neither are shit, they haven't been here long and if you looking at their value and what we could afford they probably both will be solid enough players. However if you take that all out and look at their ability as footballers, it's decidedly mediocre.

Pretty much anyone can keep it simple and rarely give it away though!

He's mostly played slow passes backwards or sideways, bar the odd speculator, normally lofted, that hasn't reached it's target.

There are rarely quick balls into feet that help get us going, and rarely forward. Still, it is early days and he could improve as the team gets better and more used to playing together. I just haven't seen that much promise in his attributes so far to make me confident he'll ever be a really good player.

It's similar to some of the critiques of Konchesky as well. Neither are shit, they haven't been here long and if you looking at their value and what we could afford they probably both will be solid enough players. However if you take that all out and look at their ability as footballers, it's decidedly mediocre.

He'll never be a really good player i just think he'll be good, a very decent first teamer. He's a big stepup from Lucas whom i've finally given up on.

It's not that he's been standout impressive but what i like is he knows exactly his job and he's a solid pro. He's certaintly not shit but i believe he'll go about his job being tidy while being very consitant.

He'll never be a really good player i just think he'll be good, a very decent first teamer. He's a big stepup from Lucas whom i've finally given up on.

It's not that he's been standout impressive but what i like is he knows exactly his job and he's a solid pro. He's certaintly not shit but i believe he'll go about his job being tidy while being very consitant.

Fair do's.

I think there's very little to choose between him and Lucas really. I think Lucas is a better passer and has more to his game, whereas Poulsen has a bit more presence in there.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, neither of them is good enough. Poulsen is a serious, serious downgrade on Mascherano (as reflected in the prices, I suppose), and only marginally better than Lucas. I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Bullard is better than both of them.

In my opinion Poulsen is not better than Lucas in any shape or form. At least he has`nt been so far. He just dont do anything, other than giving away free kicks and losing posession. To me he is an older, slower and worse version of Lucas. They are very similiar in style.

Spending £4.5 on him when we have Lucas and Spearing, spending £5m (£3,5m + Dalle Valla and Kacaniklic both valued at £750 000 ) and £2.5m on Brad Jones when we are skint, is as bad or even worse than the summer of Diouf and Diao. Hell, i would rather we resigned Diao on a free than waste that money on Poulsen this summer.

Hopefully he is still bedding in and will improve alot, but so far I have yet to see any attributes that is going to come in handy.

Bullard would most definetly been an upgrade, and we could probably got him on a loan.

I mentioned this in another thread earlier, but Poulsen has a habit of sitting deep, and yet he makes it too easy for opponents to play through us. Once you're past him the defence is exposed. It's as easy as that. He's got no mobility, cannot pick a constructive pass, and causes the team to lose shape too easily. Given that keeping the shape seems to be one of Roy's mantras, I'm baffled and bemused that Poulsen keeps being selected. He rarely seems to put a tackle in either, probably because he's light years behind wherever the play is.

And I've said this pretty much EVERY time I've mentioned Poulsen, but he's even worse in the first half of games. It takes him at least 45 minutes to get involved in a match, and even then his contributions are becoming more and more minimal.

It's difficult to be more ineffectual and peripheral as a defensive midfielder than Damien Plessis, but by jove I think we've managed it!

I mentioned this in another thread earlier, but Poulsen has a habit of sitting deep, and yet he makes it too easy for opponents to play through us. Once you're past him the defence is exposed. It's as easy as that. He's got no mobility, cannot pick a constructive pass, and causes the team to lose shape too easily. Given that keeping the shape seems to be one of Roy's mantras, I'm baffled and bemused that Poulsen keeps being selected. He rarely seems to put a tackle in either, probably because he's light years behind wherever the play is.

And I've said this pretty much EVERY time I've mentioned Poulsen, but he's even worse in the first half of games. It takes him at least 45 minutes to get involved in a match, and even then his contributions are becoming more and more minimal.

It's difficult to be more ineffectual and peripheral as a defensive midfielder than Damien Plessis, but by jove I think we've managed it!

As was mentioned when we signed him, he was off the pace in serie a so it was pretty obvious he wouldn't be able to cut it in this league. Lucas is miles better and hes no world beater, but at least hes mobile and can keep up with the play. Poulsen is total waste of money.

3rd from bottom tells you how good our squad is . Classic case of manager buys acplayer and ships one out . I've seen enough of aqualani to tell me poulson is the shitter one offering nothing

To be fair, we HAD to get rid of Aquilani. He has huge wages, and offers almost nothing to the squad, as he can't play a central midfield position in England.

I think Poulsen just isn't able to track the play in front of him and judge where he needs to be like De Jong, Busquets, etc. and he isn't an athletic midfielder like Sissoko, Mascherano, Mikel, etc. who can run and run and run... so it doesn't matter if hes slightly out of position.

He's not going to get better, though, but the team could help him out more.

As said above, he doesn't read the game and isn't mobile so offers no shield at all for the defence. We may as well have had five dummies out of a shop window planted into the pitch as a defence/defensive midfield yesterday such was the players inability to track even the simplest movement from Blackpool.

Where Lucas passes sideways, Poulsen passes backward.

Get Lucas back in there.

But backwards is the new sideways isnt it. Keep up with it.

Its the future.

The fella walks around the pitch and make 5 yard passes and then claps his hands to try and get the players going. He is a spacecat.

People joke that there was no way Lucas was Brazilian but to be fair he plays like Pele compared to Poulson.

In my opinion Poulsen is not better than Lucas in any shape or form. At least he has`nt been so far. He just dont do anything, other than giving away free kicks and losing posession. To me he is an older, slower and worse version of Lucas. They are very similiar in style.

Spending £4.5 on him when we have Lucas and Spearing, spending £5m (£3,5m + Dalle Valla and Kacaniklic both valued at £750 000 ) and £2.5m on Brad Jones when we are skint, is as bad or even worse than the summer of Diouf and Diao. Hell, i would rather we resigned Diao on a free than waste that money on Poulsen this summer.

Hopefully he is still bedding in and will improve alot, but so far I have yet to see any attributes that is going to come in handy.

Bullard would most definetly been an upgrade, and we could probably got him on a loan.

Agree. He's far from Lucas' level, which again isn't good enough either. At least to match our ambition level and expectations.

Poulsen would probably be a good addtition to the squad for someone like Wigan. I doubt that he would be first choice even there.