Quantcast
General Trivia and Miscellany - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dirty_sanchez

General Trivia and Miscellany

Every now and then, one hears of some trufax which are just good bits of trivia. For example:

Julio Iglesias (the singer and father of irritatingly good looking Anna Kournikova shagging Enrique) has a half sister who is 63 years younger than him. Ruth Iglesias was born on July 25 2006, 7 months and 7 days after her father passed away aged 90. Good work Iglesias Sr and your fertile testicles.

I would like to hear some more interesting facts and miscellany. Reps for good'uns. Negs for making shit up. These can be about any subject, just not the game that dare not speak it's name on these shores.

• Upvote 1

The woman Jack Nicholson thought was his sister was really his mum. The woman he thought was his mum was actually his granny. He then went on to make Chinatown. Guess he COULD handle the truth.

Actress Chyler Leigh (Not Another Teen Movie, Grey's Anatomy etc) starred in a film called Kickboxing Academy as the love interest of her REAL brother's character. His name is Christopher Khayman Lee, and he was once a Power Ranger.

Either the auditions were not well attended or the alternatives were shit. There exists a Youtube vid of this abomination which I will not post lest it put you off your tea/lunch/breakfast/dinner. Especially if you've been fasting all day and need to eat.

Was only talking to one of my colleagues about this earlier but you will see the same symbol on the flag of Malta as on the symbol for the St Johns Ambulance. Both have their origination from the Knights Hospitaller which was an order set up in the 7th century to take care of and protect the inhabitants of the holy land. After the holy land fell under the power of Islam in the 13th century the knights were expelled and resided in many different countries until they were given Malta by the King of Spain in the 15th century.

There they set up hospitals, schools and the laid the foundations of the Maltese capital Valetta. They stayed in Malta for 250 years right up it being sacked by Napoleon in 1798. The order was abolished but subsequently reformed in the 19th century under the name Order of St John of Jerusalem, which is the predecessor of St Johns Ambulance.

During the crusades the Hospitallers were devided between those of miltary and care presuasions. Pope Innocent IV changed their uniform to include the white cross we currently see on the flag of Malta and of the St Johns Ambulance.

(details taken from wiki page for more accuracy)

Good facts, although Kinski's one sounds highly dubious.

Apparently true. France, late 50s. The school bus could not accommodate a boy of Andre's 'carriage' and his parent's didn't own a car, but they had a neighbour who owned a truck. And so Samuel Beckett used to drive Andre the Giant to school.

André was sent to school in nearby Ussy-sur-Marne. Having grown up on the farm, with only his family for companionship, André loved going to school, especially the social aspect of being around people. Many years later, during production of The Princess Bride, André would tell stories of how the Nobel Prize-winning playwright Samuel Beckett used to pick him up when he would hitchhike to school.

^Andre's Biography on Google Books

They both lived near Molien, France throughout the mid 1950’s and on into their later years.

Andre at the time was a boy of twelve years old and Samuel was a man of fifty-two. They were both

neighbors, Andre’s family owned a small farm in the same vicinity as Samuel’s cottage that he had built

in Ussy St. Marne, a small village in Molien proper. Andre’s family at the time did not own a vehicle

that could take Andre to school because of his enormous size. He was reportedly, too big for the school

bus, a fate that Andre would suffer through his entire life. And so, as the story goes, his family had

arranged with a neighbor who owned a truck to give their son a ride. Of course, Beckett had a vehicle

and came to the families need without question. Andre, at twelve was big for his age, quite big in fact,

he was just over six foot and weighed almost 240 lbs and was considered large from birth. It has been

said that Beckett played cards in town on many occasions with Andre’s father, Boris “Steoff”

Roussimoff. Beckett and Monsieur Roussimoff had known each other since Beckett had decided to

settle in Ussy and build the cottage years before. Steoff and other local men had done the work of

laying the foundation and bricklaying the walls. No doubt, Andre much younger, amongst them.

^Author Steffan Piper on Andre

All I know is that I want to live in a world where Samuel Beckett used to give Andre the Giant lifts to school. Hee hee hee.

Apparently true. France, late 50s. The school bus could not accommodate a boy of Andre's 'carriage' and his parent's didn't own a car, but they had a neighbour who owned a truck. And so Samuel Beckett used to drive Andre the Giant to school.

^Andre's Biography on Google Books

^Author Steffan Piper on Andre

All I know is that I want to live in a world where Samuel Beckett used to give Andre the Giant lifts to school. Hee hee hee.

Er. . . You do.

• Like 1

Bumped as I didn't know where else to put this.

Apparently, the Czech Republic has officially been known as 'Czechia' for the past 2 months.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Wild rice is not actually rice. It comes from one of four grass species that are closely related to rice.

Can't beat a bit of wild rice with a stroganoff; like rocking horse shit at the minute tho'.

On 19/08/2010 at 16:19, dirty_sanchez said:

Every now and then, one hears of some trufax which are just good bits of trivia. For example:

Julio Iglesias (the singer and father of irritatingly good looking Anna Kournikova shagging Enrique) has a half sister who is 63 years younger than him. Ruth Iglesias was born on July 25 2006, 7 months and 7 days after her father passed away aged 90. Good work Iglesias Sr and your fertile testicles.

I would like to hear some more interesting facts and miscellany. Reps for good'uns. Negs for making shit up. These can be about any subject, just not the game that dare not speak it's name on these shores.

Repped for avoiding the word "random".

Noticed this last night when I was reading the Wiki page of Federico Castelluccio who played Furio in The Sopranos. 

EB328BAF-3A8E-4C1E-8B80-E249ED0B2896.png

A small percentage of the static you see on "dead" television channels is left over radiation from the big bang.

• Upvote 2