You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson and the Skopje press conference.

Duncan Clench

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but Hodgson got pissed off because all the english journalists were asking, "what formation you playing", "any news on young", "any news on insua" to which am sure Roy turned round and basically said can we actually discuss the match and build up to the match because its unfair for the Macedonian press to be sitting here whilst you ask questions about the english game that really has little to do with whats happening tomorrow.

I am not concerned, he is entitled to be pissed off. We all have them days, you cant say why your pissed off because you just are, having travelled with the side to then meet the press. meh rather him then me. Yes it can be concerning but for now can we not cast it off as a bad day. Under Rafa we didnt find it concerning at first. So with Roy I would not to too bothered by yesterday, if it starts happening again yeah there is a need to start wondering but right now there is far too much emphasis on it, only drummed up by the article.

I agree with all of the above. Also Roy giving a dig about the board is not out of line with him saying as he has done in the past that the owners need changing. the most interesting quaote was his dig about Sammy Lee not being able to give him much info about the opposition, even though he managed the only other PL club to play them in the past. Perhaps Sammy may not be long for this world.

Couldn't give a fuck if he talks to the media like the shite most of them seem to be. Results will be the yardstick with which to judge Hodgson. How he treats some snotty little fucker from the 'quality' press has no bearing at all on how he goes about the really important aspect of his job. I'm beginning to like Roy.

Guest the boy
Couldn't give a fuck if he talks to the media like the shite most of them seem to be. Results will be the yardstick with which to judge Hodgson. How he treats some snotty little fucker from the 'quality' press has no bearing at all on how he goes about the really important aspect of his job. I'm beginning to like Roy.

Likewise. The stick Benitez received for his treatment of the press was disgusting. Fuck them, and fuck the soft fans made in the image of Mourinho who'd rather the soap opera with them be perpetuated.

Does anyone care that much if he was a bit terse with the press? The only point of real interest from that conference is his tetchiness about all the discussions he has to have at the club before doing his job. Sound familiar?

It's actually a snide article in the telegraph that (deliberately?) misrepresents Roy's comments - oh, and it's written by the way by someone who was an avid supporter of Benitez, and who has written and twittered regularly on his admiration for Rafa for the past few months. Here are Roy's other quotes:

'We're changing the subject. I don't think it's right in a room full of Macedonian journalists to be talking about things like homegrown rules and English players. I think we should be talking about the game, because that is what interests people. The subjects you are bringing up now are subjects for a future press conference'.

Rather changes the context, doesn't it? That's a very shoddy stitch-up job in the Telegraph. Strikes me that Roy isn't going to get a fair press from Rafa's boys in the media who are determined to paint him and the club in a poor light (Tony Evans and Rory Smith step forward so far) - very disappointing stuff.

Guest ian garro

I find myself agreeing with Code here, a bit. I don't see what difference it makes. The press in this country can go and fuck themselves for all I care, it's getting beyond a joke now. Fucking twats like Custis, Beasley, Woolnough, Barclay and Samuel seem to think they run football these days, and that their opinions matter ?

I don't think there's one of them who have ever kicked a ball in anger, yet they feel the need to condescend managers of the stature of Capello etc. So if a manager is 'beastly' to them in a press conference, there must be something wrong behind the scenes - not just because that manager thinks they're a dickhead. Their credibility is shot though, by the fact that there's not one of them would ever write a critical piece about Ferguson.

On the other hand, I think I know why people are a bit weary of Hodgson doing this. I think some people thought that when Benitez was doing it, it was just because he fancied being a twat. It might be that now a different mananger comes in and does the same, they might have to look beyond that ?

Either way, I dont think I'll be getting too upset, just yet.

It's actually a snide article in the telegraph that (deliberately?) misrepresents Roy's comments - oh, and it's written by the way by someone who was an avid supporter of Benitez, and who has twittered regularly on his admiration for Rafa for the past few months. Here are Roy's other quotes:

'We're changing the subject. I don't think it's right in a room full of Macedonian journalists to be talking about things like homegrown rules and English players. I think we should be talking about the game, because that is what interests people. The subjects you are bringing up now are subjects for a future press conference'.

Rather changes the context, doesn't it? That's a very shoddy stitch-up job in the Telegraph. Strikes me that Roy isn't going to get a fair press from Rafa's boys in the media who are determined to paint him and the club in a poor light (Tony Evans and Rory Smith step forward so far) - very disappointing stuff.

The irony! You think Roy's a god because you absolutely detested Benitez. Cant complain when it happens the other way.

The “All we ever seem to do at Liverpool is have discussions,” is clearly a dig at someone and you'd be on the verge of a heart attack if the nasty Spaniard had said that.

You've got some nerve I'll give you that. You're snide, make stuff up and there you are having a go at journalists!

If it's not representative of some deeper malaise then, no, not at all.

Thats a fair point. If it is just a bad day then thats fine and he is perfectly right to tell them all to fuck off if he so choses, but if this is an indication of how things are going behind the scenes then it could be a little worrying.

Anny Road also mentioned that you can do what you want with the press once you have won things. Did Ferguson treat the press differently during his initial period in Old Trafford?

Guest PurpleNose
Could you imagine if Rafa had said that? The furore that would have cause would have been a sight.

You talking about ranting Rafa?

Even in Milan i doubt the press where as rabid as the british tabloids.

Different level of pressure.

I'd say, if anything, the pressure is worse in Italy. The press there really get angry. Mourinho was rattled right from the start, and some hacks never stopped attacking him. So Roy's not out of his depth here.

I'm not sure about the press conference as I haven't seen it, but as Roy's that rare sort of Englishman who actually respects other cultures, I wasn't surprised when he told the hacks they were being disrespectful trying to make the whole thing about the Premier league and domestic issues. I suspect that went down very well with the local media.

It's actually a snide article in the telegraph that (deliberately?) misrepresents Roy's comments - oh, and it's written by the way by someone who was an avid supporter of Benitez, and who has written and twittered regularly on his admiration for Rafa for the past few months. Here are Roy's other quotes:

Well as my pal said, Rory Smith was pretty annoyed by how Woy responded to his question. The article was never going to be nice after that.

1.I find myself agreeing with Code here , a bit. I don't see what difference it makes. The press in this country can go and fuck themselves for all I care, it's getting beyond a joke now. Fucking twats like Custis, Beasley, Woolnough, Barclay and Samuel seem to think they run football these days, and that their opinions matter ?

I don't think there's one of them who have ever kicked a ball in anger, yet they feel the need to condescend managers of the stature of Capello etc. So if a manager is 2.'beastly' to them in a press conference, there must be something wrong behind the scenes - not just because that manager thinks they're a dickhead. Their credibility is shot though, by the fact that there's not one of them would ever write a critical piece about Ferguson.

On the other hand, I think I know why people are a bit weary of Hodgson doing this. I think some people thought that when Benitez was doing it, it was just because he fancied being a twat. It might be that now a different mananger comes in and does the same, they might have to look beyond that ?

Either way, I dont think I'll be getting too upset, just yet.

1. It's not often you read or find yourself typing that.

2. 'beastly' is an ace word, especially when preceded by 'perfectly'.

I read this in a totally different way to everyone else apparently. I took it as Roy saying "well according to the press, we're in discussions with loads of players". I think it's a dig at the press rather than the club.

Agreed, this is a dig at the press from the 3 different articles Ive read in relation to the press conference the only question he was asked about the match was the formation.

And remember hes never had to handle pressure like this before, so its probably knee jerk and nothing to get too worried about.

I read this in a totally different way to everyone else apparently. I took it as Roy saying "well according to the press, we're in discussions with loads of players". I think it's a dig at the press rather than the club.

I'm in agreement with Sanch the bad, invincible motherfucker here, that is how I read it....to paraphrase Roy..."according to you cunts we're always in discussion with someone".

I think it's a positive sign that he is brushing them off like that. He's obviously not going to give them anything and they clearly don't like it. Long may it continue.

Benitez (and Purslow) were criticised for briefing the press, so I think it's a welcome change if he keeps it up.

Why would people who may have supported Rafa automatically want to paint Roy in a bad light? Roy didn't sack him, and the club didn't sack Rafa because they specifically wanted to replace him with Roy.

I supported Rafa so I don't understand why that would mean I'd not want to support Roy. And what's wrong with painting the people running the club in a bad light? That's the light they operate in.

I don't get the desire to slate good reds like Rory Smith and Tony Evans because they say all is not well at LFC. Guess what? All isn't well.