You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cantona and Sky

Trucker Paddy

Anybody see the TV add, part of it focused on Istanbul, very good ad, and for the record I always thought he was the dogs bollox even if he was playing for them.

Supposed to start a thread on this yesterday, I was a bit surprised he done it. Imagine one of our legends starring in an advert featuring that wonderful night in Barcelona.

Good add though.

Extremely overrated played, not fit to lace King Kenny's boots.

True, but he was an imperious bastard. Every team loves having someone who can pull of the audacious and then act arrogant as hell about it. He was much better than Henry at that.

Guest PurpleNose
True, but he was an imperious bastard. Every team loves having someone who can pull of the audacious and then act arrogant as hell about it. He was much better than Henry at that.

I'd always prefer a Zola type character.

Nothing wrong with not being a cunt.

Imagine one of our legends starring in an advert featuring that wonderful night in Barcelona.

Good add though.

It was a wonderful night in Barcelona. We won 2-1, thanks to Riise's left boot. When's Johnno's next advert?

Sorry, you were talking about a different night weren't you? In that case, "wonderful" wouldn't be appropriate, "awful" would.

It was a wonderful night in Barcelona. We won 2-1, thanks to Riise's left boot. When's Johnno's next advert?

Sorry, you were talking about a different night weren't you? In that case, "wonderful" wouldn't be appropriate, "awful" would.

It was a sarcastic line from me, I was quoting Clive Tyldsley, thought it would be obvious.

It was Riise's right boot by the way.

I was near the tunnel in 96 when their team came out for their pre-match walk round. Obviously they were getting loads of abuse. Then Liverpool came out and we nearly crumpled when we saw those suits - we knew we were going to get beat.

Then, after everyone else was on the pitch, Cantona came out on his own. I've never seen a bigger looking person in my life. Everything about him, and his presence said, "I'm going to score the winner today. On, probably the 86th minute mark."

When everyone else went back down the tunnel to get changed, he stayed on the pitch for another 5 minutes, then walked down, really slowly, all the time receiving loads of abuse.

His whole manner was the very definition of 'imperious'.

No, he isn't fit to lace Kenny's boots, and by a million miles (or even Best / Comb-over etc), but he had a real presence all the same.

Thanks, HW.

I'd always prefer a Zola type character.

Nothing wrong with not being a cunt.

Everyone loves the nice guy too. The biggest point is that they were both players with personality. An effective persona could well be half the battle against some defences.

The one great defining moment in his career, for me, was during that ludicrous 'trawler' speech when, half way through, he clearly didn't know what the hell he was saying or how he was going to get out of it, so he glugged some water while he thought and then finished with even worse nonsense - and the hacks lapped it all up as if he was a bloody genius. I bet he sat there thinking, 'Oh my God - they're taking me seriously! I've got it made!!'

The one great defining moment in his career, for me, was during that ludicrous 'trawler' speech when, half way through, he clearly didn't know what the hell he was saying or how he was going to get out of it, so he glugged some water while he thought and then finished with even worse nonsense - and the hacks lapped it all up as if he was a bloody genius. I bet he sat there thinking, 'Oh my God - they're taking me seriously! I've got it made!!'

He was like that in every interview he did. Talking nonesensical shite and people believed he was a profound thinker. If somebody every asked him to explain what he meant he'd have got up and walked out.

The sky wankfest over him used to drive me insane. Especially after that jammy pen he scored against us in his comeback game. After two great goals from Fowler that twat scores a penalty and sky make it sound as though he's won every competition ever played with one kick.

The word must go around Europe of how gullible English media types are. In France Cantona was mocked as a David Brent/Ian Holloway sort of figure; he came over here and was treated as though he was a sophisticated intellectual. I bet Mancini thought before he went to City, 'I've just got to buy more hair conditioner and get this scarf thing looking right and then I'll get away with murder over there!'

The word must go around Europe of how gullible English media types are. In France Cantona was mocked as a David Brent/Ian Holloway sort of figure; he came over here and was treated as though he was a sophisticated intellectual. I bet Mancini thought before he went to City, 'I've just got to buy more hair conditioner and get this scarf thing looking right and then I'll get away with murder over there!'

glad you enlightened us with that bit of info as my manc supporting smelly tramp of a friend thinks Cantona is God. He does my fucking head in man. I am actually imagining beating him to a pulp with my golf clubs right now.

Cantona was a twat.

My favorite memory of him was when he tackled Ruddock above the knee (shocking challenge and a straight red to any non manure player). Ruddock gets up and squares up to him -nose to nose- just as you think he's going to head but him he turns catonas collar down, pats him on the back and jogs off. How pathetic cantona looked after that. One of my all time favorite anecdotes

glad you enlightened us with that bit of info as my manc supporting smelly tramp of a friend thinks Cantona is God. He does my fucking head in man. I am actually imagining beating him to a pulp with my golf clubs right now.

Bloody hell, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Edited by byrnie