You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Houllier must stay

Guest james

I think he really has lost the players. It's not that they're lazy or can't be arsed. Rather they're confused and under pressure. They know that things are bad but not what to do about it.

What is required is leadership. They need someone to give them very clear, very simple instructions and make them believe that they're capable of carrying them out. Unfortunately it now seems obvious that the leader they need is not Gerard. They've heard it all before and have obviously either switched off or don't understand. Also they will probably allow their personal loyalties to him to cloud their professional assessment of his ability and many of them remember that he lead them to great success in the past. In short, he has to go, as it's clear that this problem has been building for about eighteen months and if he was able to turn it around, he'd have done so by now.

Despite the above, it still saddens me to see the vitriolic abuse that has been thrown at him by some. After all, he obviously loves the club and his job, and has also had significant success here. His only crime is that, like the overwhelming majority of professional football managers, he has been unable to take us to the league title. We should allow him to leave with what little of his dignity remains. He's a Red and he deserves better.

Guest Steve P

I do not believe that anyone who wants the best for this club even want him here now, he has lost the plot and has lost the fans

He is so guitly of talking shite, poor tacts, poor leadership, poor motivation and poor buys that it is painfull

How long do we wait, untill we are out of everything (well that the EUFA cup for you GH fans). We blew out of a 1/4 final appearance against a devistated Pompy, we are a zillion points of the top 3

Not good enough by far-GO NOW, if he is back next year>:( I will be fuckin devistated and we will be well and truly fucked.

"I don't want to criticise anyone but we get paid well and have great lives, yet it isn't a bed of roses. The supporters do get frustrated, but you then have to show mental strength. You can't go hiding. We can take the heat off the manager and we owe him a lot.

"I've got six winners' medals but would I have those if Gérard Houllier hadn't come to the club? He turned me into a full-back, and I've gone on to play for my country there. That is just my debt to him. I am sure a lot of other players owe him."

Says Jamie Carragher.

"I don't want to criticise anyone but we get paid well and have great lives, yet it isn't a bed of roses. The supporters do get frustrated, but you then have to show mental strength. You can't go hiding. We can take the heat off the manager and we owe him a lot.

"I've got six winners' medals but would I have those if Gérard Houllier hadn't come to the club? He turned me into a full-back, and I've gone on to play for my country there. That is just my debt to him. I am sure a lot of other players owe him."

Says Jamie Carragher.

And?

"Houllier should leave as he is sending our club in the wrong direction with his negative, boring, shite brand of football and his feeble excuses."

Says Tom Ross.

James thats fair enough like it was said earlier, players like Jamie, Stevie , Michael and Didi, give it there all.....ALL the time. But what of the other players... Emile for example. If GH could motivate the other players like the others above play then where would be right now. The players should not need motivation, I certaintly would not if I played for this great historical club. But if they did then the Manager ultimately should provide it.

These are GH's mistake's and his own downfalls, he gets paid to make those decisions and provide actions. Its not a stick to beat him with is it. The evidence is there for all to see. He has made those mistakes.

For Christ Sake people (nob heads) have resorted to vandalism now. The Board have to take note, this is very bad publicity for our club let alone a performances and league position.

I just can not see where else GH can take the club rather than further away from the Top 3. We have some world class players at our club, Portsmouth for example 1st season in the Prem, 11 first team players out, compare their performance to ours. To me an excuse against injuries is NOT acceptable it is too easy to use. Every club has injuries and deals with it, all these players are GH's signings and for this reason they should be able to come into to the team and perform.

This has been our story since last season's game against Middlesborough, where IMO we have been on a decline ever since.

I used to think the sun shone out of GH's arse but not now...come on this 5 year plan whether it was said or whether it was not I am seriously doubting his abilities as a manager,

The fact of the matter is people like Arsene Wenger can come to another country and win the double in his first full season with unheard of players AND play attractive flowing football. I'm not saying that just because Wenger did it then GH should. But what I am saying is look what is possible as it has been achieved elsewhere. While we are in a worse position that when Roy Evans was in charge....and come on be honest when was the better 'Attacking/Attractive' football played.

The persistance on playing Emile Heskey is unbelievable for the last two years. Other managers would put their hands up and acknowledge that they have made a mistake but not GH his stubborness gets in the way. To me it looks as if he is now obsessed in proving his doubters wrong rather than changing the areas where he has made mistakes with tactics and team selection and lets not even go into the comments he now makes. Like others have said he looks to have lost the plot. I know its kind of rude to suggest that he has not been the same since he had his heart problems, but I truly think he has changed (not his lifestyle etc) but his ruthless streak to me that was his one of his greatest assets when he came to this club with the way he dealt with people like Paul Ince,

I think he puts up with alot more now than he once did.

IMO I think we need a new direction a new face. At least then the pressure would stop from fans, idiots vandalising, former players who think they not it all and the media would give us a break. Some of our bad buys would inevitably be sold. AND LFC CAN MOVE ON FROM THIS ERA!:lol:

Guest howartj
I agree Hermes, it comes to something when the away support is as unsupportive as it has been in recent games. I honestly think he has lost 95% of the fans now, the board can't and won't ignore that. If a manager has lost that much support from the crowd, surely its not all rosey in the playing quarters? I stayed in the players hotel on Saturday night, although my passing them in the corridor/restaurant a few times isn't exactly knowing how they feel, I can honestly say none of them looked happy, there was a tense atmosphere following them everywhere.

The only bright spark from Sunday was Baros' enthusiasm and will to attack when he came on, but how long till that is dragged out of him?

Don't worry lads, somebody will pay for our frustrations says Le Boss! This on the eve of the game tonight scares the shite out of me, he said before the Pompey game ' we are reaching our peak now' for f***s sake we are nearly at the end of the season, oooh and what happened at the Pompey when playing in our peak form, we lost 1-0 to a second string shower of shite, anybody who seriously believes Gerrard should stay must live in some kind of fantasy land, this isn't just about this season, its been going on for 18 months now!!!

sorry times indeed, but still if gh goes who comes in?

I have no idea.

Just out of curiosity, not shit stirring but what do people think of Big Sam.

He gets the best out of his signings and he seems to sing very well on an extremely limited budget and still play good football. He's also very honest and passionate about his team.

Could he make the step up to managing a big team.

This is not an anti GH post (though i do think its time for a change). Opinions please.