You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Insua, Ability & Experience

Red Nick

Anyone notice how slow he is? I like the lad and i know he had a bad one last night but the worrying thing i saw was his speed, hope i'm wrong but a couple of times he he didn't show any extra acceleration when in a one on one situation.

I agree, which is why I don't think he'll make it here. They had captured several clips of him from yesterdays game, where he was overtaken by a much speedier player from Lyon.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said a few times this season that I'm not convinced by Insua - and last night confirmed it. I watched Govou run him ragged from that side of the Upper Anny last night and it was a horror show. What is it that everyone sees in him?

I don't see much defensive nous and his pace, touch and skill are nothing to write home about. He looks like an ordinary Premiership full-back at best and certainly not worthy of our first team yet. I also don't especially see any cause for optimism. Like Lucas, he's not shit but he's certainly not good enough for the CL, in my view.

Insua is too slow and will not be getting faster anytime soon

Aye, and Finnan was lightning.

Insua has been chucked in the deep end in a team which is sinking fast, and he's getting judged on a few appearances. That'll help his game.

It's unclear to me from his limited first team appearances in a flailing team how he'll develop, but he's being given the chance and a run of games which is what many claim stopped such flops as Keane or Babel from succeeding here.

It's not as if Dossena or Aurelio are shoe-ins for the berth, give him a chance and he might only develop into a squad player or he might go further.

Maldini was dead quick too eh?

He was one in a million that fella, though. Baresi was meant to have said that from the first time he seen Maldini he knew he was going to be a top player.

If you're playing that game though, Zig. I can bring up Dossena if you want. He is more of a closer match to Maldini. He is Italian afterall.

To be honest, from the first time I seen Insua I thought "He can do a job, him". But my opinion has slowly disintegrated.

He can still do a job nonetheless, but I feel there are much better left backs.

I agree, which is why I don't think he'll make it here. They had captured several clips of him from yesterdays game, where he was overtaken by a much speedier player from Lyon.

Wow, he was caught out by a much faster player? Fancy that.

His performance was always going to drop off after what can only be described as an absolutely fantastic fist couple of months after breaking into the first team.

I'll agree that his position has been somewhat suspect at times this season, but none more than Danny Agger's for Lyon's winner last night.

When the team starts functioning better we'll see is level rise too, i'm sure of that.

He looks too heavy to me too, might explain him suddenly looking somewhat off the pace lately. Maybe he's been told to bulk up?

Wow, he was caught out by a much faster player? Fancy that.

His performance was always going to drop off after what can only be described as an absolutely fantastic fist couple of months after breaking into the first team.

I'll agree that his position has been somewhat suspect at times this season, but none more than Danny Agger's for Lyon's winner last night.

When the team starts functioning better we'll see is level rise too, i'm sure of that.

He looks too heavy to me too, might explain him suddenly looking somewhat off the pace lately. Maybe he's been told to bulk up?

I'm not having a pop here mate, but I've never seen anything remotely fantastic from him. Which matches are you thinking of?

He was one in a million that fella, though. Baresi was meant to have said that from the first time he seen Maldini he knew he was going to be a top player.

If you're playing that game though, Zig. I can bring up Dossena if you want. He is more of a closer match to Maldini. He is Italian afterall.

To be honest, from the first time I seen Insua I thought "He can do a job, him". But my opinion has slowly disintegrated.

Aye that's all fair comment mate; not going to argue with it because I think he's hit a bit of a rough patch too, but I would give him a bit more time and see if he can up his game again. Maybe bring back Aurelio for a couple of games now he's fit to let him Insua take stock, then try him again.

I brought up Maldini and Finnan to make a point that pace isn't the be-all and end-all in a fullback by the way, not to compare them with him. Insua will never be a Maldini, and he might not even be a Finnan, but it's still very early days for him.

He'd be a good bouncer.

The speed thing is a bit strange- he looked slow (and tubby) at the start of last season, then seemed to lose some weight and speed up at the start of this season. Last night he was up against a very good player in Govou, and at one stage seemed to be standing still while running back- maybe it's a weight thing again.

The Riise that had awful positioning and hoofed the ball at the first opportunity? Seriously?

I think Riise's positioning was pretty good on the whole. He was also decent in the air. He was terrible one footed, and when off form prone to diving in and tremendous hoofs. He was pretty awful the last season he was here. A change required by both parties.

Maldini was dead quick too eh?

I suggest you go back and watch videos of him, he certainly had a decent turn of pace. Insua is not good enough, he is constantly caught out positionally and lacks pace. He was shocking against Fiorentina and appaling against Lyon, in the latter game he was exposed too often. Liverpool simply cannot have rookies like Insua and Lucas starting for them. Rafa's faith in these two looks more unfathomable as weeks pass. Simply not good enough, Riise, Warnock and Aurelio are better players than Insua.

i think Insua is good for his age/experience - this is his first season in the prem remember

i never understood last season why we bought Dossena when we had Insua coming through

another £7m down the shitter

Riise scored some good goals but was not a better defender imo

not many good left backs out there really

guess any Insua comparison should be against Fabio at the mancs really - similar age etc

you can't really compare him to Maldini ffs