You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to get the season off to a fine start here with three points. No nerves, play as if we are going to be champions and muller them from the first minute.

I would absolutely love that too. Frankly, as long as we have rather more luck, I'd settle for the performance we put in there last year.

I would absolutely love that too. Frankly, as long as we have rather more luck, I'd settle for the performance we put in there last year.

As long as we just go for the win from the start I will be happy, sometimes luck doesn't go your way but we have to mean it in these games right from the kick-off. If we play with confidence and without fear all season then I am confident we will win the league.

Can't fuckin believe some of the negative predictions!

We've won 10 of our last 11 (the last one against this lot)!

The irony is, most of the negatives, come from posters who continually stated that pre-season games were fuckin meaningless; hypocrites or what?

2-0, Torres to get both .. :whistle:

I think we'll win if Gerrard is fit. It's probably too much to hope that we'll go for the jugular and try to get at their patchwork defense early on, but that would probably be a good approach. Instead I suspect we'll see sustained periods of "controlling the game" and maybe put out foot down in the second half. Either way, a win would be a great result.

i'm no massivly confident, they will be really up for it and will be desperate for a good start after the shambles of last season.

Our midfield and defence will have to be on their game, if they are Torres and Gerrard should be able to do enough to win it.

I hope Crouch plays I'm not worried about him I think it's pace which worries our defence so Defoe will be the biggest threat.

This is clearly a tricky match and, were it not for it being the opening match of our season, I'd be happy with a point - especially in the light of our current fitness wobbles. However, momentum is all and we need to get ours going at full tilt if we're going to win the league. I'd happily take a scruffy 1-0 off an own goal as I can see us being rusty and lacking in fluency - especially without Xabi (a massive loss that - could be my theme of the season, although I hope not). I just hope we start the season where we left off, playing aggressive, attacking football. If we do that, we'll be fine. I'm just not sure whether we will or not.

Pepe

Johnson Carra Skrtel Insua

Lucas The Chief

Dirk Gerrard Yossi

El Nino

I feel surprisingly confident. Assuming everyone is fit we'll go:

---------------Reina-----------------

Johnson---Carra----Skrtel----Insua----

-------------Masc-----------

Kuyt-------Lucas-----Yossi---

---------Gerrard----------

----------Torres-------------

Subs:

Cavileri

Dossena

Kelly

Riera

Babel

Ngog

Spearing/Plessis

We have a few options from the bench which is good and I don't think that looks a bad team.

My main concern about Spurs is the form of Defoe. Crouch and Keane will also have something to prove I expect. Having said that I think we will get chances.

1-2 (Torres and Lucas)

First game of the season is always difficult no matter who we play. Spurs will no doubt be difficult as Defoe is looking sharp and there is Crouchie and Keane too.

Both teams have defensive worries so I'm going for 3-2 to us. Gerrard, Kuyt and Lucas for us. Crouch and Defoe for them.

I'd go along with this, but fancy Torres to score at least one.