You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough + Radio 1

Wor Horse

Retract it? Yeah right.

They'd never make that mistake re Munich, that's the difference. You're deluded if you think the majority of mancunians give a toss about Hillsborough. And with the Beeb now based there they'll look for any negative angle on LFC and Liverpool. It's already been going on for years with ITV.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cynical side of me believes this was done on purpose. some people just dont want to be educated! but what i would say to every good red out there, keep fighting, keep educating as many people as possible. we are a big fucking problem for the govt and media who still have something to hide and who want to keep their opinions of us!

ive persauded lots of people lately not to buy the rag , and to educate themselves on such matters many people are shocked at what really went on and has been said about us! DONT GIVE UP! EVER!

radio1? wouldnt expect anything else, whopper radio station which thinks its hilarious! so many fools out there lapping up a lot of shoite! educate educate fucking educate!

I am writing to you today to tell you of my absolute disgust at hearing your newsreader yesterday lay the blame for the Hillsborough disaster at the feet of innocent Liverpool fans, 96 of which I'm sure I need not remind you, died on that terrible day back in 1989.

In recent weeks there seemed to have been some fantastic coverage of the Hillsborough Disaster and this has helped to educate those who have swallowed dispicable and terrible LIES such as the one Dominic Byrne spouted yesterday about fans being to blame.

I expect to hear utter nonsense such as this from scum "newspapers" such as The Sun, but not from the BBC, which incidentally I happen to pay for.

The Hillsborough Disaster was the fault of woeful and shambolic policing, as outlined very clearly in the Taylor Report.

I am so incsensed by your flagrant disregard for any research on this matter that I can barely put it in to words. It's othing short a joke, only jokes are funny.

You've had TWENTY YEARS to get your facts right on this very simple and clear cut matter, and yet STILL you can not get it right!

Somebody somewhere should be fired in my opinion - not because of any upset that has been caused (although there's a good argument for that) but merely on the grounds that somebody somewhere can't even research a very straight forward matter such as this in a proper fashion, prior to it being broadcast to millions!

I imagine a sincere and heartfelt apology, along with you outlining the REAL causes of the Hillsborough Disaster (POLICE INCOMPETENCE) will be forthcoming extremely quickly!!!

Yours Sincerely

Tom Ross

I was outraged to hear on your "Newsbeat" programme that Liverpool fans were responsible for the Hillsborough disaster, or, as you put it, "an official enquiry blamed supporters' behaviour for too many fans getting into one end of the stadium".

Well your job is to report the news, and this was certainly news to me. Indeed, news to any of us who have read the official report that exonerated Liverpool fans of all blame for the tragedy.

I hope an apology will be forthcoming shortly for this egregious lie and slur. Then again, your corporation does continue to give gainful employment to Kelvin MacKenzie, one of the people most responsible for spreading this lie in the first place, so I won't be holding my breath.

Just wrote to the 3 Email addresses on the last page:

I was very shocked and appalled to here the BBC's stance on the Hillsborough disaster. Yesterday, on Newsbeat, it was reported that the cause of the disaster was due to the behaviour of Liverpool fans, and there being too many Liverpool fans in the ground.

However, the Taylor report about the disaster stated clearly that the fans were not to be blamed, but applauded, and laid the blame at the door of incompetent policing. This is something that the survivors, families of the victims, and fans of LFC have been trying to put right for 20 years. And then the national television corporation spouts the same lies that we have been trying to get rid of.

We have put up with you repeatedly spending our licence money hiring Kelvin MacKenzie who originally came up with these lies. But to hear the BBC come out and say these things directly will hurt thousands, if not tens of thousands of people.

I hope a full sincere apology can be issued.

In the current climate of serious discussions about it's future reliance on such high levels of public funding, the BBC is very sensitive to public opinion and complaints about content.

Quite aside from the moral obligation we have to register our disgust at an offensive error, it is actually worth it and I think it will make a difference. I will be very surprised if a full apology is not broadcast soon.

They have retracted it.

BBC - Newsbeat

Newsbeat Hillsborough apology

Yesterday on Newsbeat at 12.45 we broadcast an item on the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 people were killed.

We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day.

This was wrong and we would like to apologise to listeners offended by our report and for this error.

Email received earlier:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'Newsbeat' broadcast on the 20 April.

During Steve Blears' report on the possible release of documents relating to the Hillsborough disaster, he incorrectly stated that an official inquiry had blamed supporters' behaviour for overcrowding at the stadium.

We sincerely apologise for both the reporter's error and for the fact that it was not picked up on by the duty editor prior to broadcast. The editor of Newsbeat has been made aware of the error and offers assurances that it will not be repeated.

The following correction was made during 'Newsbeat' at 12.45pm on 21 April and appears on the programme's website:

"Yesterday on Newsbeat we broadcast an item on the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 people were killed. We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day. This was wrong and we would like to apologise to listeners offended by our report and for this error."

BBC - Newsbeat

Regards

Radio 1 Newsbeat

BBC issues apology after Radio 1 blames Liverpool fans for Hillsborough - Telegraph

Station heads admitted an inaccurate report had been broadcast on its Newsbeat programme on Monday

In a bulletin the journalist wrongly said an official report had blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day.

But on Tuesday the BBC issued an official apology and said it had made an embarrassing mistake.

"Yesterday on Newsbeat at 12.45 we broadcast an item on the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 people were killed," it said.

"We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day.

"This was wrong and we would like to apologise to listeners offended by our report and for this error."

A total of 96 football supporters were killed in the Hillsborough disaster on April 15, 1989.

They were crushed to death at the stadium in Shefield during the FA Cup semi-final between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool.

The crush is said to have resulted from too many Liverpool fans being allowed in to the back of an already full stand at the Leppings Lane end of the ground.

More than 2,000 Liverpool fans had still not got into the stadium when the match started.

But as fans rushed in, those already there were pushed forward and crushed against the safety fences.

After a public inquiry, new safety measures were introduced at football grounds around Britain.

Over the past couple of years the BBC has been at the centre of a number of scandals.

Earlier this year it was forced to apologise after Doctor Who actor John Barrowman exposed himself during a live Radio 1 broadcast, with pictures relayed to online listeners via a webcam.

In October presenter Jonathan Ross and comedian Russell Brand were suspended after thousands of Radio 2 listeners complained about their prank calls to actor Andrew Sachs.

Last year the BBC admitted faking the winners of phone-ins and interactive competitions on six shows including Blue Peter and Children in Need.

Still cant believe the cunts. its unbelievable, the JTF96 campaign is so widespread that its inexcusable for mistakes like this to go on. its like saying the sky is green. no doubt there will be more inaccuracies in the days, weeks, months, years to follow

Edited by FrenchEyeGlass
adding something

That's disgraceful.

talk to any fan who follows another team and they will blame pissed up fans or other fans trying to get in without a ticket - or both

lots of fans out there think that Liverpool fans are a bunch of cunts

most recently in Athens 2007 we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory either - lots of fans trying to get in without tickets - or worse robbing tickets from fellow supporters....

Piece of shit news show in piece of shit reporting shocker.

I don't believe that anyone would deliberately get that wrong; just that they are complete fuckwits who produce a news bulletin targeted at even bigger fuckwits and so this level of quality is to be expected.

Newsmongs.

Dear Sir,

Regarding your apology concerning your disgraceful show of poor research and journalism in yesterday's Hillsborough story, how about actually publishing a couple of lines about the results of the Taylor Report and its findings?

You are there to do a job for the public who pay you. I suggest you do that by setting the facts straight and educating the particular demographic who listen to your "news" reports as opposed to issuing some three line apology.

Regards,