You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough + Radio 1

Wor Horse

Just seen this on RAWK.

They've just had a report on the 12.45 pm bulletin.

Quite clearly stated that the official report blamed the fans for the disaster and the death of the 96 (in what was in general a positive report).

Sometimes you despair at what the last week has been all about when these easy myths are bandied about.

BBC Complaints - Homepage

Phone: 03700 100 222

starts at 03m 55s:

BBC iPlayer - Newsbeat: 20/04/2009

"An official enquiry blamed supporters behaviour for too many fans getting into one end of the stadium"

That's disgraceful.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell.

04:54 "An official enquiry blamed supporters behaviour for too many fans getting into one end of the stadium..."

I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I can't believe what I've just heard. How could they get it so wrong. I bet some fucker has written his own personal prejudices onto a draft, and the copy given to the newsreader has accidently included them. Fucking hell. Complaint on the way.

I sent them this.

"I was horrified to hear an unforgiveable error on today's newsbeat programme, which I hope can only be a result of lazy journalism in the extreme.

Your announcer stated that the official enquiry into Hillsborough had concluded that the behaviour of fans was to blame for the ninety six deaths resulting from this terrible disaster.

In fact, the Taylor report makes it clear that the disaster's primary cause was a failure of police control, and almost entirely exhonerates the fans behaviour on the day.

The UK Press Complaints Commission states in it's codes of practice that "the Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information".

Your researchers have clearly failed in this instance and it would behove you to issue a full apology and correction as soon as possible.

The lies peddled at the time by the South Yorkshire Police and the Sun newspaper are both harmful and shameful, and it is sickening to find that a news organisation such as the BBC would still be propagating this vile slander twenty years later."

Im really surprised it was Dominic Byrne who read it out, hes a Liverpool fan and the head news reader for Radio 1. Ridiculous stuff and radio 1's target audience is exactly the sort of people who need to learn the truth rather than just go along with whatever is being pushed in the media these days.