You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We watched The weight, Full Leather Jacket, Mayham, Funhouse and Whitecaps in a row. As much as I fucking adore The Wire and The Shield, and consider them the equal of The Sopranos, there is no way you could get the same impact from single episodes like this. Especially ones that cover 4 different seasons.

• Upvote 1

During Season 2 of Hannibal, the showrunner, Bryan Fuller, was giving quite detailed post-episode breakdowns. He said that Will Graham had to figure out what Hannibal was up to fairly quickly, otherwise it would ruin the credibility of the character.

That's been irking me watching The Sopranos* again, for the 5th or 6th time; Tony, the bright, shrewd, murderous and pragmatic boss that he is, thinking that Chrissy could be his number 2. And thinking that for a decade? I understand the sentimentality, but Christopher Moltasanti de facto running the family? Without getting into the Adrianna business, there are at least 20 reasons he wouldn't be able to keep control. We'd be talking about a mutiny, if he didn't overdose on H, within 4 episodes. It's just staggering that Tony would genuinely believe this flawed ideal for so long.

* Also irking me about Jax in the new Sons of Anarchy season.

During Season 2 of Hannibal, the showrunner, Bryan Fuller, was giving quite detailed post-episode breakdowns. He said that Will Graham had to figure out what Hannibal was up to fairly quickly, otherwise it would ruin the credibility of the character.

That's been irking me watching The Sopranos* again, for the 5th or 6th time; Tony, the bright, shrewd, murderous and pragmatic boss that he is, thinking that Chrissy could be his number 2. And thinking that for a decade? I understand the sentimentality, but Christopher Moltasanti de facto running the family? Without getting into the Adrianna business, there are at least 20 reasons he wouldn't be able to keep control. We'd be talking about a mutiny, if he didn't overdose on H, within 4 episodes. It's just staggering that Tony would genuinely believe this flawed ideal for so long.

* Also irking me about Jax in the new Sons of Anarchy season.

Think it was heart before head with Christopher as he literally wanted the next boss to stay in the family.

I've just got back from the big apple and I partook in the official Sopranos Tour around New Jersey. I fucking loved it, genuinely the best part of my whole trip. The guy who ran the tour had played a few small roles as waiters etc. in it and was very knowledgeable.

We hit several sites of memorable scenes, like the diner (no longer a diner) where Chrissy got shot in S2, the diner in the final episode and best of all we got to go inside the Bing, a real life strip club called Satin Dolls.  

I also met Vito, who was selling photo's and taking pictures out the back of his car boot behind the tour bus pickup point which was surreal and awesome. Charged 20 dollars to sign a pic but weren't arsed, lapped that shit right up, I bought a bada bing mug and a cap too.

Will try and post pics at some point, is there any way of doing it without signing up to image shack and all that palava?

• Upvote 3

I've just got back from the big apple and I partook in the official Sopranos Tour around New Jersey. I fucking loved it, genuinely the best part of my whole trip. The guy who ran the tour had played a few small roles as waiters etc. in it and was very knowledgeable.

We hit several sites of memorable scenes, like the diner (no longer a diner) where Chrissy got shot in S2, the diner in the final episode and best of all we got to go inside the Bing, a real life strip club called Satin Dolls.  

I also met Vito, who was selling photo's and taking pictures out the back of his car boot behind the tour bus pickup point which was surreal and awesome. Charged 20 dollars to sign a pic but weren't arsed, lapped that shit right up, I bought a bada bing mug and a cap too.

Will try and post pics at some point, is there any way of doing it without signing up to image shack and all that palava?

It's class isn't it? Satin Dolls is the only place I've ever been IDd.

Me and my mate re-enacted the scene where Chris got shot in front of all the other tourists, this Canadian couple were baffled as I  lay down and my mate ran off towards the bridge pretending to fire a gun like a little kid - we were both 28. Good times indeed.

• Upvote 1

It's class isn't it? Satin Dolls is the only place I've ever been IDd.

Me and my mate re-enacted the scene where Chris got shot in front of all the other tourists, this Canadian couple were baffled as I  lay down and my mate ran off towards the bridge pretending to fire a gun like a little kid - we were both 28. Good times indeed.

Class, they showed that scene after we left on the bus tv's. Did you see the Satriales building when you did the tour? We visited the "site", which was now a parking lot, they knocked it down! Travesty. 

The Bing/ Satin Dolls was boss, we got 20 minutes inside and some of the people on the tour just didn't know what to do with themselves, seeing as it was actually a working strip joint with dancers doing their thing. Loads wouldn't even sit down at the bar and relax.

I bought a beer and pretended I could see Carmella's cousin (the financial adviser) over the other side licking salt of a strippers tits and shotting a tequilla, smirking like Gandolfini. Also when I was outside I was seeing Paulie fanning the flames out of the pie-o-mie picture,

Some really interesting facts I recall learning: The guy who plays Paulie was first interviewed for Uncle Junior, he didn't suit the role but David Chase loved him so much he created the role of Paulie specifically for him, and when he did it was written into his contract that his character would never turn rat.

Also they originally wanted Ray Liotta to be Tony and Dr Melfi to play Carmella. Can't imagine anyone but Gandolfini now.  

Class, they showed that scene after we left on the bus tv's. Did you see the Satriales building when you did the tour? We visited the "site", which was now a parking lot, they knocked it down! Travesty. 

The Bing/ Satin Dolls was boss, we got 20 minutes inside and some of the people on the tour just didn't know what to do with themselves, seeing as it was actually a working strip joint with dancers doing their thing. Loads wouldn't even sit down at the bar and relax.

I bought a beer and pretended I could see Carmella's cousin (the financial adviser) over the other side licking salt of a strippers tits and shotting a tequilla, smirking like Gandolfini. Also when I was outside I was seeing Paulie fanning the flames out of the pie-o-mie picture,

Some really interesting facts I recall learning: The guy who plays Paulie was first interviewed for Uncle Junior, he didn't suit the role but David Chase loved him so much he created the role of Paulie specifically for him, and when he did it was written into his contract that his character would never turn rat.

Also they originally wanted Ray Liotta to be Tony and Dr Melfi to play Carmella. Can't imagine anyone but Gandolfini now.  

Nah they'd knocked it down when we went. Was funny though, he was telling us it was a big 'scotts Irish' area and right on cue, a lad in a Scotland footy top came out of the Irish bar over the road (next to where Satriales) had been to light a ciggie. But everyone else around there looked Mexican to me, load of them pulled up in a car and were asking us why we'd pay for a  tour like that.

I liked seeing Jersey though, seems an interesting place, apparently it has 90% of America's diners. Looked like a sunnier version of Runcorn I thought, iron bridges and lorries everywhere. It just felt 'Sopranos'.

Yeah it deffo seemed like there was a big Hispanic presence around those ways, I was disappointed I never saw any "proper" Italian Americans. Think I desperately wanted to see someone with greased back hair and a Fila tracky.

I liked Jersey too. The funniest thing was I took loads of pictures of random scenery and buildings, and then when I uploaded them all on to my laptop, it was like watching freezeframes of the opening credits. It was totally unintentional although admittedly the tour guide did prompt a lot of the shots so not totally random I guess. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah it deffo seemed like there was a big Hispanic presence around those ways, I was disappointed I never saw any "proper" Italian Americans. Think I desperately wanted to see someone with greased back hair and a Fila tracky.

I liked Jersey too. The funniest thing was I took loads of pictures of random scenery and buildings, and then when I uploaded them all on to my laptop, it was like watching freezeframes of the opening credits. It was totally unintentional although admittedly the tour guide did prompt a lot of the shots so not totally random I guess. 

Ha yeah same here, one of my favourite snaps just says 'Pizzaland'.

ig7w31.jpg

"Muffler Man" from opening credits

DjfW4V.jpg

Random shot that I'm sure comes straight from opening credits

eSuWS8.jpg

The diner where Chrissy gets shot

ha4f7I.jpg

Section I'm guessing you or your mate ran off in that direction randomly shooting!

1CXoMn.jpg

The former site of Satriales to the right of the Irish bar

ZIPu2N.jpg

Don't really need a description

AfjeG4.jpg

The Bing

IxiH2m.jpg

Final scene diner table (the juke box isn't real here or in the actual scene).

• Upvote 2