You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sell Kuyt

AussieRed

Kuyts attitude, proffesionalism and work rate are to be admired.

However he lacks the technical ability to play on the wing, and lacks the instincts to get regular goals.

So as a striker I think hes not good enough, and most certainly as a right winger I feel he is nowhere near good enough.

IMO Crouch is a better player, and had he been the amount of starts Dirk had last season, Im sure he would have got at least 20 goals.

God knows whats happened to this forum because every thread seems to have just spiralled out of control.

T'is what happens when people talk shite (not you by the way)

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to ignore his CL contribution. Congrats.

Fabrication.

Opinion. His play didn't warrant more playtime.

Oh wait, now we are talking CL when you disregard it for Kuyt. Hmmm... Agenda much?

Does he offer more threat than Torres? That is whom he was competing with because Peter lacks the physical attributes to play in Kuyt's role.

Kuyt has the touch of a rapist most of the time. Can't head a ball, doesn't have pace so I am struggling to see what he brings to the side apart from hard work and endeavour. You could pick one of our lads from footie on a thursday to do that.

I like Dirk dont get me wrong BUT he could only dream of scoring some of the types of goals Crouchie has scored for Liverpool. The pre requisite for any Liverpool player should be that he is comfortable having the ball played into feet and is good technically, the rest will follow.

Funny how Kuyt would be a regular last season and score three league goals.

Crouch was rarely used, but when he was scored or contributed... however the next game he'd be dropped again. He didn't get a fair crack last season or the season before, despite coming second in the Champs League top scorers, only behind Kaka.

Crouch offers far more threat than Kuyt. He's also got a better touch, a better finisher and offers more to the team with his holding up of the ball and allowing the team to have a large percentage of possession. When Gerrard got 23 goals and won PFA player of the league, Crouch got numerous assists.

Yeah two of them being pennos at the pit as well. I enjoy watching players with skill and touch and Crouchie had those in abundance. Totally agree with this post.

What a waste of time and energy this thread is. Rafa is not going to sell a player who is one of the first names on his team sheet just because certain cretins on here can't see his use in the team and state it 7 times per second whilst dubiously connecting it to all our current ills in some sort of conspiricay which eventually led to the 9/11 and 7/7 attacks.

Why people are saying he has no technical ability when he plays a 1st choice role for the most technical country in the world.

Comparing him with Crouch is about as relevant as comparing him with a good quality vacuum cleaner. It doesn't mean we should sell him because he can't suck the microbes from a felt surface whereas a Dyson can. Shall we sell him and then we buy a a few dysons with the money?

Crouch can't even get in the England team in front of a man named Emile.

I find it very funny watching people who cannot understand modern football whinging like a 6 year old child sitting in front of an A level exam paper.

Enjoy watching Kuyt perform for Liverpool for many more years or bester still for those that don't understand continue to be frustrated as it's all you deserve, either way he ain't going nowhere and is one of Rafa's favourite players for good reason.

Yeah, we just don't see it because we don't understand modern football. It's not that we can weigh up what he does bring and suggest that on balance it's not enough for any team with title aspirations. I remember the same debate with Murphy. The proof of the pudding is where they end up after leaving here. Murphy wasn't good enough for Spurs, and is probably not good enough for Fulham. Kuyt will end up at a similar level.

Well we didnt play 4-2-3-1 all season, we played it the last 4 months of the season. So in a 4-4-2 where (all things considered) Dirk struggled to score, Im sure Crouch would have scored more alongside Torres.

Crouch

06/07 - 46 appearances, 17 goals

07/08 - 31 appearances, 11 goals

Kuyt

06/07 - 49 appearances, 14 goals

07/08 - 43 appearances, 11 goals

Crouch has played less, considerably less when you think how many of those appearances where as a sub, for the last 10-15 mins, and scored more.

indeed, Crouch only played twice along side Torres in a 442 in the league and they were two massive victories, against Bolton and Sunderland at home, Kuyt played something like 12 times in a 442 with Torres

see:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/64707-formation-analysis-2007-2008-a.html

im sure Code will like that post too

indeed, Crouch only played twice along side Torres in a 442 in the league and they were two massive victories, against Bolton and Sunderland at home, Kuyt played something like 12 times in a 442 with Torres

see:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/64707-formation-analysis-2007-2008-a.html

im sure Code will like that post too

I appreciate you put a lot of time into it, but you can't be that simplistic.

Who was better value for money then in the two years they were here at the same time Kuyt or Crouch? Kuyt at 10m and Crouch at 7m who was the better signing. Surely Crouch.

But Crouch wasn't sold and Kuyt retained on the basis of footballing ability. Crouch was sold because he had one year on his contract and wasn't going to re-sign, he could only play one position - the one that Torres plays in, we needed the money and he wanted to leave.

Crouch is the better footballer, yes, but Kuyt is more valuable to the squad. He'll give you a 7/10 performance every week in any one of four or five positions, rather than a 9/10 performance every sixth game in the one position.

Play Kuyt as a striker and he fails where it counts. rafa has proved he has failed at the job my moving him away from the strikers job. He should have been sold at that point. He is a failed striker, now we have to suffer him as a failed wide player. How many more positions does he have to fail at before we get shot.

He just is not good enough. all the time he takes up a starting position is a benefit to the other team. Just get shot of him and get a proper wide player to play the wide role, not a failed striker that we are already paying for, its stupid.

I dont think you will find a single manager in the prem that will worry about having Kuyt as a wide player. Just put any yard dog tight on him and job done. he will never go past the defender and will rarely even pass it forward. Get him any where near the pen box and he just panics and runs backwards.

there is just no point of him playing for LFC

Guest TK-421
Thanks for that detailed analysis.

'Failed.'

Oh I dunno, I thought the part where he said "just not good enough" provided stunning insight into Kuyt's play and Rafa's deployment of him. It's a memorable post.

"Get him anywhere near the penalty box and he panics and runs backwards". Of course he does, it happens all the time! I can just see it. There he is bearing down on goal, he does a 180 degree turn and runs the other way. Or, does he stay facing the goal but actually run backwards, leaving the ball to trickle safely through to the keeper?

That's what's so great about Greenoak's post there, so many ways to interpret it.

But Crouch wasn't sold and Kuyt retained on the basis of footballing ability. Crouch was sold because he had one year on his contract and wasn't going to re-sign, he could only play one position - the one that Torres plays in, we needed the money and he wanted to leave.

Crouch is the better footballer, yes, but Kuyt is more valuable to the squad. He'll give you a 7/10 performance every week in any one of four or five positions, rather than a 9/10 performance every sixth game in the one position.

Kuyt actually puts a lot of 5/10 performances as well to be fair.

Kuyt actually puts a lot of 5/10 performances as well to be fair.

At the beginning of last season there were 2s and 3s, but generally he's very consistent and you know what you're getting. The point still stands.

With Crouchy you'd get an Arsenal performance, then three or four game when he was pretty annonymous. I'm sure being in and out of the team was a major factor, but he wasn't going to get picked ahead of Torres. That first season he was consistently ace and it's a shame the system left him behind.

Kuyt can have brilliant performances too.

Kuyt's performance agaionst Chelsea in the semi final at Anfield was brillianta nd he would've got the winner if the linesman didn't wrongly rule out his goal.

He was brilliant against Chelsea in the league too when we beat them 2-0 and he scored a goal with a header to skin Ferreira and a class finish into the corner.

At the beginning of last season there were 2s and 3s, but generally he's very consistent and you know what you're getting. The point still stands.

With Crouchy you'd get an Arsenal performance, then three or four game when he was pretty annonymous. I'm sure being in and out of the team was a major factor, but he wasn't going to get picked ahead of Torres. That first season he was consistently ace and it's a shame the system left him behind.

that's a very reasonable post - I guess where we would disagree is the level of performance that he produces consistently. I would suggest that he had far more poor performances than good ones last year. People are remembering the last third/quarter of the season where he did improve, but I would say that his 'consistent' level is below that. If he improves, then great.

Yeah, we just don't see it because we don't understand modern football. It's not that we can weigh up what he does bring and suggest that on balance it's not enough for any team with title aspirations. I remember the same debate with Murphy. The proof of the pudding is where they end up after leaving here. Murphy wasn't good enough for Spurs, and is probably not good enough for Fulham. Kuyt will end up at a similar level.

Murphy played nearly every game for fulham last season and was one of their most consostant performers. Just thought I'd add that.