You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some say that Rafa has to deliver the Title this season or he`s out.

My question is who could win us the Title on the same budget that Rafa has been forced to work with this summer. He`s had to sell to buy and his two main targets, Keane and Barry appear to be too costly . I belive that the youngsters are in place but won`t be ready for possibly 2 seasons.

I know that he has had money to spend and in my opinion has spent it on excellent players. Torres, Masch, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Babbel, Kuyt and Alonso to name a few all top quailty and in my opinion all good enough for any side in the premiership. Add to those Gerrard and Carraghar plus Barry and Keane if we get them and it`s a team capable of winning it this season.

Our squad players , Beneyoun, Pennent,Aurilio,Lucas ect are all capable of coming in and doing a good job.

So back to my question who could do it better than Rafa?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So back to my question who could do it better than Rafa?

I'm not sure.

I don't want to think about it as I think Rafa is vital to our present and long term. People can criticise Benitez spending, but he's generating his own funds now from players he's previously puirchased. Crouch, Sissoko, Carson all signed by Benitez and appreciated vastly in value, creating funds which can re invested in the team.

I like his apporach in the transfer market. He offers what he feels a player is worth. This might be higher than the perceived value, it might be lower. For example not many people thought Crouch was worth 7 million when he signed. But Benitez new he was worth that price, so he was willing to pay over the perceived odds at the time. By contrast he wasn't willing to pay the fees for Alves and Simoa, as he didn't think they were worth the price quoted or he thought he could use the funds for other areas of the team.

He's a shrewd business man and I think we have seen this by the profit he's making on his signings. The good investments are at good ages and can play for numerous years at the club in Reina, Mascherano, Agger, Torres and co.

I like it how he has improved the reserve team. It's full of young, hungry talent and the teams has done well as a result. It's full of promise and it looks good for the future - some look like they can make the grade in Nemeth, Pacecho and Insua. The ones that won't will no doubt leave for profit such as Guthrie and all these funds help. I remember when the resevre team was full of Ferri, Diao, Traore, Cheyrou etc and it was just a depreciating centre for flops, rather than a place for young talent to grow.

Given the owners have given Benitez little to spend, thank god Rafa has got good funds from Sissoko, Crouch, Guthrie, Riise etc... as we might not have been able to afford a Keane or Barry.

This is all without taking into account what Benitez has achieved on the field with this team. Winning the European Cup, the Super Cup, FA Cup and Community Shield. The finals of WCC, League Cup and another European Cup. It's not a bad return given the squad he inherited (where the leading striker only had a season to go on his contract) and the shit he's had to deal with off the field.

The team is now far better than the one he inherited - which was pretty defensive and one dimensional. It was only really capable of scoring on the counter attack through Owen and we rarely won if we didn't take the lead in games. Now we are threatening in possession as well as on the counter attack. We can play the long balls or the shorts balls. We control games far more, hence more possession and far better to watch. It's more organised rather than defensive as in attack it is dynamic with the movement and speed of Torres, Gerrard and Babel at times.

From what I can see the whole club has improved - on the field from reserves to first team. The transfer policy, the players, the brand of football and the success. He's given the club strong foundations and he's raised the expectations. The short term is positive, the long term even more so and sometimes it's good to take a step back and realise how far we've come under Rafa.

I hope he's here for a long time as I think he's more important than anyone at this club. A judge a manager over time, by looking at his methods and success. Benitez ticks all the boxes and I like the way he goes about his business. People want to win the league, ofcourse. But should that not happen next season and we take one step back, let's remember how many steps forward we've come under Rafa.

No one. If Benitez was backed to get who he wants then he'd win the title. I think if he gets Keane and Barry that he'll go close this year.

Towards the end we all knew it was time for Ged to go, and Evans before him, and Souness before him. Not the case however with Rafa.

I don't think any other manager could have done any better than Rafa to be honest. When he arrived the club as a whole was a mess. Rafa has had to rebuild the whole club and you can see that its working. The reserves are full of young talent instead of first team dropouts who we can not get rid of and we are slowly improving the 1st team. We may not win the title this year but I think that when we do we will have the foundations in place to go on and dominate the league for years to come.

I'm not sure.

I don't want to think about it as I think Rafa is vital to our present and long term. People can criticise Benitez spending, but he's generating his own funds now from players he's previously puirchased. Crouch, Sissoko, Carson all signed by Benitez and appreciated vastly in value, creating funds which can re invested in the team.

I like his apporach in the transfer market. He offers what he feels a player is worth. This might be higher than the perceived value, it might be lower. For example not many people thought Crouch was worth 7 million when he signed. But Benitez new he was worth that price, so he was willing to pay over the perceived odds at the time. By contrast he wasn't willing to pay the fees for Alves and Simoa, as he didn't think they were worth the price quoted or he thought he could use the funds for other areas of the team.

He's a shrewd business man and I think we have seen this by the profit he's making on his signings. The good investments are at good ages and can play for numerous years at the club in Reina, Mascherano, Agger, Torres and co.

I like it how he has improved the reserve team. It's full of young, hungry talent and the teams has done well as a result. It's full of promise and it looks good for the future - some look like they can make the grade in Nemeth, Pacecho and Insua. The ones that won't will no doubt leave for profit such as Guthrie and all these funds help. I remember when the resevre team was full of Ferri, Diao, Traore, Cheyrou etc and it was just a depreciating centre for flops, rather than a place for young talent to grow.

Given the owners have given Benitez little to spend, thank god Rafa has got good funds from Sissoko, Crouch, Guthrie, Riise etc... as we might not have been able to afford a Keane or Barry.

This is all without taking into account what Benitez has achieved on the field with this team. Winning the European Cup, the Super Cup, FA Cup and Community Shield. The finals of WCC, League Cup and another European Cup. It's not a bad return given the squad he inherited (where the leading striker only had a season to go on his contract) and the shit he's had to deal with off the field.

The team is now far better than the one he inherited - which was pretty defensive and one dimensional. It was only really capable of scoring on the counter attack through Owen and we rarely won if we didn't take the lead in games. Now we are threatening in possession as well as on the counter attack. We can play the long balls or the shorts balls. We control games far more, hence more possession and far better to watch. It's more organised rather than defensive as in attack it is dynamic with the movement and speed of Torres, Gerrard and Babel at times.

From what I can see the whole club has improved - on the field from reserves to first team. The transfer policy, the players, the brand of football and the success. He's given the club strong foundations and he's raised the expectations. The short term is positive, the long term even more so and sometimes it's good to take a step back and realise how far we've come under Rafa.

I hope he's here for a long time as I think he's more important than anyone at this club. A judge a manager over time, by looking at his methods and success. Benitez ticks all the boxes and I like the way he goes about his business. People want to win the league, ofcourse. But should that not happen next season and we take one step back, let's remember how many steps forward we've come under Rafa.

Sums up how I feel.

I'm not sure.

Thanks for writing that, you've stopped a 90 page thread.

I'm not sure.

Completely agree! Rafa can drive us mad at times but if Rafa was to leave or get the boot i think we could be fucked. The entire future of the club is based on his vision, a vision that has brought success.

I firmly believe that the best 4 teams in europe are the mancs, the chavs, the arse and us. Its been proved in the champions league over the last 5 years. This league is SO hard to win, the quality and sheer financial power of the "top 2" in england is massive. As much as i detest the twats the mancs and chavs are very strong teams and if Rafa is allowed to fully implement his vision (think of that wonderful Valencia team), we will get there.

I dont mean to look at the club through red tinted specs (its hard at times), we are all aware of our weakness, both on the pitch and off it but as said, the foundations have been set and its just gona take abit of time to flesh out the building.

With the mancs breathing down our necks (the thought of them being described as englands most successful team really does send shivers), time is indeed short but in Rafa we must trust.

I appreciate all of your comments and agree with all, that no one could replace Rafa and do a better job. I just wish that those on this forum with a negative attitude towards what Rafa is trying to achieve, take a look at themselves and remember that 40 odd years ago a man called Shankly came to this club and transformed it and in his own way Rafa is faced with the same job and i`m sure , that like Shankly he will succeed.

Its naive to think another manager cant do a better job here, its quite possibe there are a few around Europe who could.

If we fail to make progress this season i think another manager should be given the chance to take us forward, thats not to say i want Rafa to fail however 5 years is too long to wait for a club of our size for a title-challenge let alone title.

All I ask for this season is a strong, consistent challenge and to be in the title race at Easter. I'm confident Rafa can do this and that the players can raise their game to the levels required. Hopefully we'll see less of the conservative stuff and a little more risk-taking from Rafa this season, which it pains me to say Wenger and Ferguson are never averse to. Draws cost us too many points last season, Rafa knows this and will act upon it next season, if he's doing his job properly.

To answer the original post, of course it matters who is manager. But if Iain Dowie got the job and won us No. 19 would we mind?

I don't think anyone could have delivered us a League Title in Rafa's place.

I also feel that this squad is Rafas and if he gets sacked for not delivering one then we'll have to wait another five+ years on top of these already spent years...

Shall we give him a 10 year contract and a place on the board? Then call ourselves Rafapool?

Shall we give him a 10 year contract and a place on the board? Then call ourselves Rafapool?

Haha.

This thread smacks of the apologista telling us Rafa is the be-all and end-all and without him the walls would come crumbling down so I'm just going to leave the thread while giving Rash a little rep.

Ok Rash and Hatred, I respect your opinions of Rafa, but do you think that any manager could have done or could do better with what he has had to spend ?

I think that he is taking this club in the right direction, and that at this moment in time only The Chavs and The Mancs , and in my opinion this is debatable, look stronger than us.

Ok Rash and Hatred, I respect your opinions of Rafa, but do you think that any manager could have done or could do better with what he has had to spend ?

I think that he is taking this club in the right direction, and that at this moment in time only The Chavs and The Mancs , and in my opinion this is debatable, look stronger than us.

All of our nearest rivals finished above us last season and none of them have spent as much as we have for the past 2 years (not including this summer yet).

5 years on the 4th place team he inherited still lies 4th - but with a better team and squad and still no title challenge. The dross left by Houllier won two trophies, the fantastic one we have now has won nothing.

So although he has done reasonably well forgive me for not handing him a 10 year contract.

Your Cup runneth over.

Houllier's team won the CL and the Fa Cup? Rafa doesn't even get credit for those wins?

Poor bugger.

Of course he does without a doubt. However, this thread is about LFC dying the day he leaves and I don't think that would happen. Never before has a manager won so less and been lauded so much.

The LFC Extremists who dont appreciate Rafa have short memories.

The best thing about Rafa, is he is building the club from top to bottom so we can sustain long term success. We have one hell of a hungry and united squad. I would be prepared to bet a large sum of virtual money that so long as Rafa is still here, we will win the title by May 2010.