You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Always the last to be picked.

We'll have Paul. Ermmm, Dave. Andrew. Over here Dip. Macca. Johnno. We'll take Mikey. Right Sarah, you're in goal for us. Mongy. Spacca for us. Right, guess we've got kelster then.

I quit when I was 8 and took up rugby.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My style of football on a Sunday league pitch was frightenly similar to that of a Mr. James Carragher; unfortunately I wasn't up to his standard and so wan't picked up. I did though captain a few teams, win some awards and played for my secondary school regularly when we were the fucking balls.

Also my sister has played at Anfield and I haven't, which is a huge source of embarassment.

I was unlucky enough to not get picked up too. And my 9 year old cousin has just signed her first papers for Liverpool at the academy!

My football career can be summed up in one hyphenated word: non-existent.

I tell you what, though, it never fails to amaze me how many really talented players there are out there who do nothing more than basically play for fun. A lad I work with plays semi-pro and when we have a game at work in the sports hall, he just takes the piss with ease - and that's against some very good players. Something that still amazes me now is how he frequently will score from inside his own half by bending it around the player closing him down into the top corner of the five-a-side goal. And that's against a good keeper - and he's a centre half. Now if that's semi-pro, what the fuck is it like playing non-league?

I saw a lad who left last year in JD Sports on Saturday. He's playing for Wrexham's ressies and has got a strong chance of a professional deal if he has a good season. I asked him what it was like playing at that level (fuck all in professional terms) and he said it was incredible. The pace is relentless and everyone has a great touch. Now obviously it's all relative, but it just goes to show how incredibly talented you need to be in order to play at even a very modest professional level, nevermind for Liverpool.

True that, Paul, there are some incredibly talented players even playing in Sunday Leagues. I remember Dave Kitson saying he went from playing Sunday League to Cambridge and then to the Premiership with Reading in something like a five year spell and it amazed him because he said there were better players knocking round the Leagues than him.

I'd say that dedication is just as important as talent, to be honest. My dad played against Jason McAteer at Sunday League level and he said that there were far better players than him, but instead of going the pub after the match to sink a few pints, McAteer would stay behind to train himself and work on his fitness.

I've played against a few lads who are unbelievably talented. One lad I know was with Macclesfield for a few years and could easily have had a career as a pro but he just couldn't be arsed to push himself and got taken in by the booze and birds. Now I think he's playing sem-pro for St. Helens Town whilst working in a factory during the week and has a kid to bring up. Shame.

Childhood and early teen midfield general for Noctorum Athletic and Wirral Schools. Then, erm, it all went a bit downhill. Peaked too soon you see!

I broke my ankle and lost interest in playing football properly. Around that time I took up golf, though that's only an occasional thing now too.

Ifidanerbinfer... :smile:

Childhood and early teen midfield general for Noctorum Athletic and Wirral Schools. Then, erm, it all went a bit downhill. Peaked too soon you see!

I broke my ankle and lost interest in playing football properly. Around that time I took up golf, though that's only an occasional thing now too.

Ifithadnerbinfer..findingGodandsalavationforlostforumites

In the trail match for my new secondary school I scored in a 1-1 draw, had a decent game the age group was my year and the year above too so I should have had two years at that level. Anyway, got selected for the first match of the campaign and was stuck on the right wing, I was never a winger but thats where I played, up against a big fukin lump too, got the ball went past him the fucker kicked me bringing me down, no free given, it hurt, I hid for the remainder of the game, never got picked again, even the following year :-(

Still played lots for 5 a sides etc with mates and work colleagues etc and it was in one of these where my career peaked. A game where we got to play in the local football stadium because it was for charity - we all had to collect sponsors.

Culmore Taxis V Seagate C shift at the Brandywell Stadium Derry

Started the game playing 30 mins of the first half on the left wing FFS I was never a winger ever, left or right, we had walk on walk off subs (yep it was that high a level) so after 30 mins, maybe 15 touches of the ball including one mazy run beating three men before running out of pitch and the ball going dead for a goal kick I subbed myself, knowing I could come on again in the second half. In the meantime our team went 2-0 down before half time.

Second half starts and I am still on sidelines by which time we had changed our keeper to a dude who actually had arms so the other team probably werent gonna score again.

Ten minutes in and after we had pulled it back to 2-1 I get the nod from the "manager" (car 37) "Yer back in" he said, "right where am I playing?" I said, "up front" he says well I nearly shat myself, but anyway on I goes, pretty refreshed and ready to make a nuisance of myself. We were always in command of the second half and had only 2 down because we had car 12 in goals he was about 55 years old and was useless, second half we had a decent keeper and shuffled the pack a bit.

We got the equalizer from a corner, a ball swung in was headed out weakly and one of the boys (he didnt work for Culmore so if you are talking to anyone from Seagate C shift say nothing) volleys it back in, it takes a big deflection beats the keeper, 2-2 and all to play for.

With about 5 mins to go I win a challenge inside the centre circle from one of their midfielders, toe-poking the ball to one of ours, then I was off, I spun away calling for the ball, its played straight to me by this stage I'm ten yards inside their half, I take a touch and lay it off to my strike partner and then I really sprint towards goal, screaming for the ball "give it back to me, give it back to me" my strike partner plays it first time and I am clean through, offside trap well and truly sprung, I am bearing down on goal now maybe 30 yards out, then I start shittin it, I take one touch getting it out from my feet and hit the ball early, right footed pretty crisply from about 22 yards, as soon as I hit it I am thinking fuck I should have taken it closer as I only had keeper to beat, but before I could beat myself up about it the ball hit the back of the net, bottom left corner a fuckin beaut. 3-fucking 2!

I didnt know what to do by way of a celebration I think I just ran doing an aeroplane back to the halfway line and then pointed to the guy who played the ball through for me, it was a super little goal with me starting and finishing it, more or less two 1-2's and a "confident" (if only they knew) finish.

It turned out to be the winner and I was fucking made up, I scored the winner at the Brandywell! We were all in the pub afterwards where food etc was laid on for us and I am standing at the bar and I overhear two of the other team talking about how well the guy that scored the winner (me) took his goal. Haha fucking delighted.

Played in the school team and Saturday leagues from the age of 10 until 16. Broke my leg in two places at 16 in a district tournament and didn't go back to playing again until I was 19. Did the East London Sunday League circuit for about 5 years and then gave up again.

Couldn't be arsed waking up Sunday mornings so started playing 5-a-side and 7-a-side since I got married 5 years ago. Hardly play at all now due to work and generally being busy.

I'd say I am a reasonably skillful player who plays either right wing or between the lines. I have always scored goals too! The problem and potential weakness is that I am slight - only 10.5 stone and 5ft 7 - which means although my balance and pace is good, but with the way the game is in England, I was usually kicked to fuck.

I love the beautiful game and dispair at the way some managers choose to play it and with how some players play it. I have played in teams with players who went on to play in the league for lower division clubs and some of these guys are really shit - but strong - but I guess that's the way the game is going these days.

Just for the record, and I'm doing it to take the piss or have a dig, that isn't the way the game is going at all; it's very technique focussed from the FA now and that's the same in the academies too.

My nephew plays for Bushmead in Luton - he is 10 years old. His team regularly beats Luton Town Youth FC - having been to watch them in training - the lads who have the best technique are sitting on the sidelines during games and the big guys are all in the team. I'd fuck off 11-a-side until players are 14 if it means the emphasis shifts.

I have seen the Brazilian Schools and Jogabanito and the rest, who all have an emphasis on pass and move but that doesn't get into the mainstream - just look at what English clubs are producing these days in the academies - all the technically gifted players are foreign!

So although the FA's in each county are doing their level best to improve things, the obsesson with "winning" at 9 years old means the ogre's get first pick.

Always the willing runner; effort over talent. That pretty much sums me up.

I love going in for meaty tackles (oo-er) and can drop a ball on a winger's toe from 40 yards so have always played at the back, despite having decent pace. But try and take someone on? No chance. I can actually remember the times when I've beaten players with stepovers and (my favourite) doing the 'Cruyff'; how sad is that? It happened that infrequently I'm still able to relive the individual moments in my mind, haha!

Started playing footie since i was 6 for a kids team every sunday. Then carried on and played for my school. Went for county trials and got in as a LM(favourite player was John Barnes so i always wanted to be a winger). Went for regional trials and got in but broke my knee 2 weeks later in a accident and have had a dodgy knee ever since. Couldn't play football at that level after that as it put too much of a strain on my knee. That pissed me off to no end so i stopped playing football all together in a sulk and just focussed on my studies. Couple of years later i went to university and while there the uni boys wanted to play football and they persuaded me to play(as i just didn't want to in the slightest) and got my love of playing football back. Obviously as it wasn't as intensive my knee could take it. Since then just played 5 or 7 a side football.

True that, Paul, there are some incredibly talented players even playing in Sunday Leagues. I remember Dave Kitson saying he went from playing Sunday League to Cambridge and then to the Premiership with Reading in something like a five year spell and it amazed him because he said there were better players knocking round the Leagues than him.

I'd say that dedication is just as important as talent, to be honest. My dad played against Jason McAteer at Sunday League level and he said that there were far better players than him, but instead of going the pub after the match to sink a few pints, McAteer would stay behind to train himself and work on his fitness.

I've played against a few lads who are unbelievably talented. One lad I know was with Macclesfield for a few years and could easily have had a career as a pro but he just couldn't be arsed to push himself and got taken in by the booze and birds. Now I think he's playing sem-pro for St. Helens Town whilst working in a factory during the week and has a kid to bring up. Shame.

One of my best mates was his captain in the Sunday League and was widely regarded as the better player. However, he was in the ale house three nights a week at 15 and McAteer, as you say, was driven to improve.

You must have played in the same side as McAteer, Gra. You were in our school team, weren't you?

I was a right back molded from Phil Neal but was very dirty too. I was fast, loved the sliding tackle in all weather (once a ref shouted well done to be as the ball was floating in a massive puddle and I slid in amongst the watching tiptoed pansies). Also I could beat 95% will my pace but would take the legs if that 5% got the better of me. Thants Finnan.

I stopped playing for an full team when there was no funny side to take, when the opposition started being thungs and cunts with hangovers.

I then got a back problem and havent played even in a 5 a side for 8 years.

The old magic is still there and will return next year when I get complete feeling in my back.

Only played a handful of 11-a-side matches. Probably about 3 seasons worth. Play mainly 5, 6 and 9 aside now.

Started off as a goal hanging lazy centre forward when I was young (8 or so)

Got dragged back to play left back one match and stayed there until I was 17, however I was never good enough to get in teh school team (We had some pretty decent left peggers :( ). Went to uni and played left back there for 2 seasons, then moved up to left wing. Im now a lazy goal hanging centre forward and the cycle is complete.

I expect to retire in the next 2 years and move onto less knee gamaging sports.

Best position Id ever played was the left side of a back 3. For anyone that knows me, this was a msitake on the managers part.

My nephew plays for Bushmead in Luton - he is 10 years old. His team regularly beats Luton Town Youth FC - having been to watch them in training - the lads who have the best technique are sitting on the sidelines during games and the big guys are all in the team. I'd fuck off 11-a-side until players are 14 if it means the emphasis shifts.

I have seen the Brazilian Schools and Jogabanito and the rest, who all have an emphasis on pass and move but that doesn't get into the mainstream - just look at what English clubs are producing these days in the academies - all the technically gifted players are foreign!

So although the FA's in each county are doing their level best to improve things, the obsesson with "winning" at 9 years old means the ogre's get first pick.

Got to agree with you. I watch both my younger brother and sister play and a crunching tackle from an under 10 is still cheered and applauded louder than a good pass. I have even seen kids told to cut out doing tricks and trying fancy turns as its disrespectful. I bet Ronaldo wasnt told to cut it out as a kid.

Pretty good defensive midfielder - with an eye for the slide tackle and counter-attacking passes - until I started smoking and drinking. Couldn't quite cope with the seriousness in the higher divisions. Mind I was only 16 at the time and all my friends were reading Kerouac, smoking pot and fucking everytin that moved. Quitted after one season. Playing Sunday league football these days, and really enjoying it.

One of my best mates was his captain in the Sunday League and was widely regarded as the better player. However, he was in the ale house three nights a week at 15 and McAteer, as you say, was driven to improve.

You must have played in the same side as McAteer, Gra. You were in our school team, weren't you?

Yes, though that was a launchpad for him and the pinnacle for me! Jason was a better midfielder than fullback in my opinion, but he never really got to show that at the highest level.

Happy days and good memories. The school team we had back in the day was superb too. I remember knowing a few lads at Ridgeway when we beat them something like 14-0. It made for some good banter when we got together for the same Sunday League side.