You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

More gossip about torres to chelsea

rondeco

Money no object, Chelsea tell Luiz Felipe Scolari

Matt Hughes

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been presented with a list of targets by Chelsea that features Fernando Torres, Robinho and Franck Ribéry. The Brazilian, who will take over as manager next month, will be given an unlimited transfer budget by Roman Abramovich, the club's owner, and has proposed signing Kaká and Deco.

Chelsea, with a well-drilled defence and outstanding central midfield players such as Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard and Michael Essien, will focus on recruiting wide players and strikers this summer, a policy that fits with Abramovich's desire for more attacking football. Many of the club's targets may prove beyond their reach as they play for rivals with no need to sell, but Abramovich is confident that the sheer weight of money will convince some of them to cash in.

Torres is a case in point, with Liverpool adamant that they will not sell a striker who scored 33 goals in his first season with the club, but Chelsea hope to exploit divisions between the club's warring owners, George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks. Chelsea have been told that one of the Americans is willing to let Torres go for the right price and are planning to test Liverpool's resolve with a bid.

Kaká falls into the same category because AC Milan have stated that the Brazil forward is not for sale at any price, but Chelsea are hoping to use Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko as pawns to push the transfer through. Chelsea have rejected bids from Milan for both strikers and they hope that Scolari's relationship with a player he took to his first World Cup finals at the age of 20, in 2002, will convince him to leave the San Siro.

Related Links

Trusted ally to play key role for Scolari

No love lost between Scolari and Ferguson

Scolari picture blends in with owner's dream

Multimedia

Debate: Will Scolari succeed at Chelsea?

Bayern Munich are similarly reluctant to sell Ribéry, but Robinho and Deco should be far easier to acquire from Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

Scolari has wasted no time in assembling his backroom staff and is planning to bring two of his Portugal colleagues, Flávio Teixeira and Darlan Schneider, to Stamford Bridge.

Teixeira has worked as Scolari's assistant since the Brazilian took his first job, at Centro Sportivo Alagoano, in 1982 and is regarded as his eyes and ears, while Schneider, the nephew of Scolari's wife, Olga, was recruited as a fitness coach when he took the job as Portugal coach in 2003. Scolari has gone out of his way to praise his squad's sharpness at Euro 2008, which he attributes to Schneider.

Chelsea hope that Steve Clarke will remain at the club as a second assistant, in a similar set-up to that under José Mourinho, while they also want to retain Christophe Lollichon as goalkeeping coach.

Scolari's appointment has been welcomed by Chelsea's players, but not by Sir Alex Ferguson. The Manchester United manager has privately expressed anger that the Brazilian has been advising Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portugal forward, to leave Old Trafford for Real.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a bit worrying that this is in the times now

I doubt it. They've been linked with every player at the Euros. Seems like every journo thinks (knows?) he'll get a big budget, so they just link Chelsea with every high priced player on the planet. They'd probably link them with Ronaldo if they weren't having so much fun with the Madrid story.

Torres won't be going anywhere. It won't stop Chelsea trying to bid for him though, as he's one of (if not the) best strikers in the world. Abramovich seems to be giving it one last go to get a team full of stars playing fantasy football. I can see them splashing out £100 million this summer. It’s interesting Chelsea appoint a new manager, and then give him a list of players they want to sign!

In the highly unlikely event Liverpool decided to sell Torres I am sure he would leave if it was for a so called big Club ie Manu, Chelsea, Barca, AC Milan. He might not want to leave but if LFC got to the point of deciding to sell it would be fairly clear to him that LFC were going nowhere fast and he would do what was best for his career.

They have fuck all better to put in the papers at the moment,there is nothing happening much in the transfer world till after the euros and the media's beloved England arn't out there so thats another six pages a day to fill.We seem to get this shit most summers Fowler seemed to be moving to Arsenal every weekend for a spell ,the speculation on Owen started the day he scored his debut goal till about six years later when he finally did leave and Gerrard is off every time the season ends.I don't think any other club has to put up with as much media shit stirring as us.

Load of bollocks, where the rentboys not meant to break even this year, fucken joke club. I hope he spunks more money and still ends up with nothing but mongos tears.

Never liked them even before the russian came along.

Scholari will be expected to sign some new superstars but the knock on effect of that is players who are currently there are going to want to leave.

Its looking increasingly like Drogba will leave but once again i will believe that when i see it but i just think especially in midfield there is going to be too many noses put out of joint and i can see more and more problems at Chelsea.

I honestly cannot see Torres playing for another English side. Abramavich believes that money is the answer to everything but he needs a reality check.

As for the reference to the owners, yes they are warring and yes it's affecting our club, but Hicks has constantly reiterated that he's in it for the long haul, and he needs to get back into the good books (or at least try to), so why would he sell Torres, the fan's favourite?

I fucking hate the natiional press I really do. The "Big Phil" and Chelsea love in is winding me up and it's not even been a week yet.

Torres will be a Liverpool player next season. And the season after that.