You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Supporters Union - A Call to Arms

Sons of Shankly

Kaizer, i'm not sure how this could be gone about, but i think more needs to be done to promote protests and stay behinds. After Barnsley, admittedly i couldnt stay as i had to get off to a prior appointment, but i still wasnt sure whether there was anything planned until i saw it on SSN later that night.

After the game on tuesday, i expected something and stayed behind for a good ten mins but it was obvious nothing was happening (which being live on terestrial TV surprised me, but maybe the joy of the win took over), but i just think it would be useful to know if and when things are happening a little more obviously.

I agree with that. I didn't know about a protest against Barnsley and only realised that something had gone on when I saw it on the news. I also thought there would definitely be a protest after such a high profle game as Inter so stayed behind after the game until it became obvious that nothing was happening.

More people need to be made aware when things are happening as a protest of what seemed to be about 100 people (like the Barnsley one) are not going to make any difference. 100 out of a crowd of 44,000 tells the owners that 43,900 are happy with them, when we all know that's not the case.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Barnsley stay behind only happend as a result of a vote in the SOS meeting, it wasn't planned days in advance like the previous protests. I'm sure future stay behinds will be publicised much better. I think we should just do it after every remaining league game now anyway, regardless.

The Barnsley stay behind only happend as a result of a vote in the SOS meeting, it wasn't planned days in advance like the previous protests. I'm sure future stay behinds will be publicised much better. I think we should just do it after every remaining league game now anyway, regardless.

In that case then, do you not think the Barnsley protest would have done more harm than good? As I said before, it sends the wrong message to the owners; that only a small percentage of people are bothered.

We need to have as many of the crowd staying behind as possible. We'll never get everyone staying behind as many of those who leave early to "beat the traffic" will still do so. But we can target the other 40,000 or so who stay until the final whistle, Hicks and Gillett wouldn't be able to ignore 90% of the crowd demonstrating against them, as it would attract a shit load of publicity.

In that case then, do you not think the Barnsley protest would have done more harm than good? As I said before, it sends the wrong message to the owners; that only a small percentage of people are bothered.

We need to have as many of the crowd staying behind as possible. We'll never get everyone staying behind as many of those who leave early to "beat the traffic" will still do so. But we can target the other 40,000 or so who stay until the final whistle, Hicks and Gillett wouldn't be able to ignore 90% of the crowd demonstrating against them, as it would attract a shit load of publicity.

It possibly could have done more harm in terms of how it looks but it also shows that we're going to persist with the protests. As I mentioned earlier I think we'd get a bigger response if we protested at half-time and then after the match as it'd get more people involved. Even the people who don't leave early are still half-way out once the players have left the pitch and are less inclined to go back and join in.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Anything happening tomorrow?

Yes, we've been told that some of the Americans will be there tommorow

Protest after the game, spread the word

It was too short notice that was all. I didn't know about the protest until I spoke to Dan just before going in. If it's planned a couple of games in advance we could get a decent number staying.

It was a cunt's trick by the club to try and drown the protests out with their shitty loud music as well.

Agreed. It has to be better organised, momentum is everything in issues like these. The flames of passion that were evident a few months ago have withered to burning embers, they mustn't be allowed to go out.

At the recent meeting at the Olympia one word kept cropping up - 'Apathy'.

The indifference the majority of our supporters show to the crippling effect Hicks and Gillette are having on our club is so dissapointing. The number of fans turning out to protest is deteriorating by the week. So is that it, lip service paid to the 'protest' lets all move on and allow these 2 cowboys to continue taking the piss. I hope not.

After the game yesterday i walked out of the kop and seen hundreds queing outside the club shop. Are the majority of our fans apathetic or just clueless to whats going on? I thought that if they knew where that money was going maybe they'd think again before buying, or maybe not. The fact is too many are indifferent. Dont get me wrong its a persons right to disagree with a course of action but just dont moan when the guy who compared us to weetabix, said we could help support the texas ranger and dallas stars, who made us buy the club for him, and who lied to us time and time again, has set us back the lightyears he is on course for doing.

The biggest battle we have to win, although ultimately against Gillett and Hicks, is actually in getting through to our own.

Maybe we should all get out sharp on the final whistle, leg it to LiverWorld and form a queue. Then when they open the doors we'll just stand there and not move.

Or better still, just fill the place. I think only a certain amount of people can go in. The protests are good for keeping the discontent in the limelight, we need to let Hicks know were not going away, but ultimatley only direct action will be telling. A boycott could be the final push the negotiations with DIC need.

At the recent meeting at the Olympia one word kept cropping up - 'Apathy'.

The indifference the majority of our supporters show to the crippling effect Hicks and Gillette are having on our club is so dissapointing. The number of fans turning out to protest is deteriorating by the week. So is that it, lip service paid to the 'protest' lets all move on and allow these 2 cowboys to continue taking the piss. I hope not.

After the game yesterday i walked out of the kop and seen hundreds queing outside the club shop. Are the majority of our fans apathetic or just clueless to whats going on? I thought that if they knew where that money was going maybe they'd think again before buying, or maybe not. The fact is too many are indifferent. Dont get me wrong its a persons right to disagree with a course of action but just dont moan when the guy who compared us to weetabix, said we could help support the texas ranger and dallas stars, who made us buy the club for him, and who lied to us time and time again, has set us back the lightyears he is on course for doing.

The biggest battle we have to win, although ultimately against Gillett and Hicks, is actually in getting through to our own.

I think there's a lot of good points there. But we also have to remember this could be a long battle. At this moment in time SoS is still putting itself together a structure that will enable it to better work with fans to deliver the long and short term aims. We are looking for a union that will last a life time. Yes, at this moment in time it may be difficult to get the message through, but once the union is organised properly, once we start spreadinig the word in a more structure and thoughtful manner, we can start to make progress. A lot of people want to see results right away, I just think it will take a lot longer than that.