You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Best

Section_31

Following on from the Munich thread...

What's your view on his ability?

Obviously I never saw him play but put much of the mythos surrounding his ability down to the Manc media machine, which has always been second to none and managed to convince the football world that they were the biggest club on the planet even as they plumbed the depths of the old division one.

The common consensus seems to be that he was the third best player in living memory after Pele and Maradona, is this the case or not?

He was awesome.

When you look at footage look at what he did on the pitches he played on.

Like Pele he got the shit kicked out of him and just got on with it. Never got world reknown because NI were poor back then.

I think he was better than Kruyff because he was more instinctive.

Don't think you can say who was the best cos they were in the main from different eras.

All were different class.

Over rated.

Obviously I'm only going on video but that right there is the problem,its the same few videos we see over and over again.

There doesn't seem to be a huge catalogue on a par with say pele,and most of peles was with brazil.

Great player no doubt but imo not on par with pele or maradonna,I'd put him in the second or third thief of world greats.

He was never overrated he was a truly World class talent, he had it all and then some. Shame he wasted it and then maybe we never seen the best of him.

I could not mention him in the same breathe as Maradona or Pele, or a few others but he was still one hell of a talent.

I admired his talent but never liked him.

As talented as he may have been, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Pele, Maradona, Cruff et al. They never pissed their career away at 27 years.

My dad (obviously a red) and his cousin (a Manc inbred from Ellesmere Port of all places) have arguments over whether Dalglish or Best were better. My dad always clinches the argument by saying that while Best may have been the more gifted of the two, he was playing for the likes of Cork City and Los Angeles Aztecs in his prime, whereas the King was winning Leagues and European Cups.

My dad (obviously a red) and his cousin (a Manc inbred from Ellesmere Port of all places) have arguments over whether Dalglish or Best were better. My dad always clinches the argument by saying that while Best may have been the more gifted of the two, he was playing for the likes of Cork City and Los Angeles Aztecs in his prime, whereas the King was winning Leagues and European Cups.

eh? his prime was obviously at man utd