You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Bill Murray Appreciation Thread

Faustus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No-ones mentioned Rushmore. Shame on you all. It was the first return to form dead-pan Murray film. My favourite Wes Anderson film too.

He's the Don. Shouldnt have done the voice for Garfield 2 though.

I prefer the wise-cracking Murray of Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day than Deadpan Murray I think. Although deadpan Murray does rule also.

I enjoyed Broken Flowers, then it all seemed to end abruptly and I was at a loss. I wasn't sure if I missed something?, but nothing really seemed reconciled.

You didn't miss anything... It's Jim Jarmusch, he's weird and the absence of resolution is kinda the point. With the spinny camera thing isolating him from the world out in the middle of the road, Murray's character is supposed to have been severed from his womanizing past that defined his existence through a forced realization that the past is gone and unreachable, and is now floating awash in a disconnected sea of identity-less nothingness.

Or something like that.

He totally nicked the ending from Istvan Szabo the robbing cunt.

• 4 years later...

8_22caddyshack.jpg

"A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Poulter tells a good story about Bill Murray

He had been playing with him at a pro-am down south and was at the dinner afterwards murray turns to him and asks him to take him to a couple of london boozers. Walking between two of the pubs they walked passed a house party. So Bill Murray turns to Poulter and says lets go in. They walk in and its full of students all pissed and stoned dancing around and the music blearing. Poulter and Murray headed straight for the Kitchen (as you do at a house party) and grabbed a beer. They then turned and looked at the sink which was over run with week old dirty plates and mugs. Murray turns to Poulter and says come on lets do the dishes. So there they are Murray washing all the dishes and Poulter drying and putting them away. When they had finished all of them they walked out of the party and on to the next Pub........

Tickled me when i heard it. How stoned would you have thought you were the next day thinking you had seen Bill Murray doing the dishes.

I still think Poulter is a cock mind but a funny story none the less

Great shout. Him and Wu-tang in Jim Jarmush's 'Coffee and Cigarettes' is cinematic genius: "Bill muthafuckin' Murray. Who ya' gonna call"!

Put him and Gene Hackman in the same film and I'm in celluloid virvana.

Brilliant film in places, absolute dross in others.

Stand out? Of course it's Bill 'fuckin ass' Murray.

[YOUTUBE]e3Xac6ux2vY[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 year later...