You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Richard Littlejohn in late bid to steal Kelvin MacKenzie's crown...

Strontium

The best artcicle I read was a short piece by Matthew Paris in the Times last week. He was simply calling for the murder victims to be 'women' first and foremost. He was saddened that their humanity was lost behind the monicker 'prostitute'.

As for Littlejohn, I'm afraid he comes across as rather bitter in the Mail article. Whatever point he felt he wanted to make was lost in a sea of vitriol and terrible timing. His lack of compassion damages him as a man, and it undermines whatever viewpoint he feels he is bringing to the table.

He obviously carries a long term anti-Guardian agenda (and all of that is fine in the name of free speech, debate and opinion), but to continue this running feud in such poor taste is appalling.

PS - I do sometimes buy the Mail. To admit that on here might make me something of a pariah, judging by the hostile and intolerant opinions against it that I have read. Having said that I occasionally buy said paper, I am appalled by the Littlejohn piece under scrutiny in this thread.

Not a pariah, my concern with any paper, but in particular the likes of the Sun, the Mail, the express etc... is that a lot of the people that read them confuse opinion with fact and take a lot of the things that are said by the likes of Littlejohn at face value and do not question it, you obviously do not fall into this category.

More worrying I think is that the opinions but forth by these papers are widely held by people, that there are people that agree with the Daily Mail's regular ascertion that the Middle Classes are under attack from the government/Europe/Killer bees/etc...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - I do sometimes buy the Mail. To admit that on here might make me something of a pariah, judging by the hostile and intolerant opinions against it that I have read. Having said that I occasionally buy said paper, I am appalled by the Littlejohn piece under scrutiny in this thread.

The Mail is a tabloid piece of shit mate, lets not pretend otherwise. My ma and pa have been reading it for years so I see the bile it publishes. Its the print equivalent of the tory ads in the last election:

notracist.jpg

The best artcicle I read was a short piece by Matthew Paris in the Times last week. He was simply calling for the murder victims to be 'women' first and foremost. He was saddened that their humanity was lost behind the monicker 'prostitute'.

Now this is what I don't understand, and frankly think is oversensitive bollocks.

Calling them prostitutes or refering to it as prostitute killings is entirely valid as it's what appeared to be driving the killings. People can moan and act outraged at the idea that the term prostitute is offensive but tough, it's neccesary to explain the actions of the killer.

They also seem to ignore the fact that when the women are mentioned individually they are called by name.

As for Littlejohn, I'm afraid he comes across as rather bitter in the Mail article. Whatever point he felt he wanted to make was lost in a sea of vitriol and terrible timing. His lack of compassion damages him as a man, and it undermines whatever viewpoint he feels he is bringing to the table.

He obviously carries a long term anti-Guardian agenda (and all of that is fine in the name of free speech, debate and opinion), but to continue this running feud in such poor taste is appalling.

Well you really should know better than to buy it. This is the paper that backed the Nazis all the way up until the point it was literally impossible to support them anymore. That would be way after everyone was aware of Hitler's little project with the Jews.

As they say in "Is it just me or is everything shit" it''s a good job the nazis didn't win the war or the Mail would have been free to spend every day campaigning to have burnt at the stake all the immigrants, single mothers, gays, liberals, poor people.......oh, right.

Reading the Daily Mail is bad for you. You feel suicidal after reading it. Everything is slanted towards their agenda - immigrants are the cause of everything bad, political correctness rules the world. A truly depressing read. It is the 'burbs version of the Sun.

However I used to commute into Liverpool by train and ended up buying it to read for about a year as it lasted the length of the journey and you could still turn the pages on a packed train. I literally whooped for joy the day the little tabloid Independent was launched and don't think i have bought the Mail since (except maybe on a Saturday for a DVD or CD offer).

Littlejohn is a cretin. Even when i read the Mail i used to skip his column. He had a couple of reasonable points to make but they were largely lost in an otherwise distasteful and unecessarilly nasty and spiteful rant.

My usual newspaper is the Times. If I don't have the time then I'll resort to a tabloid (or sometimes no newspaper). Given the tabloid choice of Mail, Express, Mirror, Sun and Star, I tend to go for the Mail. I find that it is better than the other tabloids, though obviously not better than a broadsheet.

I think there are some fair points in that article but they are masked by the bile.

The minutes silence (if true) for one. There are servicemen and women getting killed almost every week in Iraq/Afghanistan. Where is the minutes silence for them?

Littlejohn is an obnoxious c*nt though.

I think there are some fair points in that article but they are masked by the bile.

The minutes silence (if true) for one. There are servicemen and women getting killed almost every week in Iraq/Afghanistan. Where is the minutes silence for them?

Littlejohn is an obnoxious c*nt though.

Excellent point there mate. I think the whole minutes silence thing has been devalued over the years. There's hardly a match you go to where there isn't a minutes silence before kick off. I don't want to sound callous but they always have them. When Daniel Agger's cat died they had a minutes silence for him. Fucking stupid!

I've noticed that on 5live before they arrested anyone it was always "5 prostitutes". Since they arrested that first geezer, its changed to "5 women"

Now this is what I don't understand, and frankly think is oversensitive bollocks.

Calling them prostitutes or refering to it as prostitute killings is entirely valid as it's what appeared to be driving the killings. People can moan and act outraged at the idea that the term prostitute is offensive but tough, it's neccesary to explain the actions of the killer.

They also seem to ignore the fact that when the women are mentioned individually they are called by name.

I can see both sides of this. It probably wouldn't happen if they were accountants - its the salacious aspect of it. I think if you're reporting sensitively, its women first prostitute second.