You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is González a victim of a racist government?

Captain

I just thought I'd quote you because it seems to be en vogue in this thread.

José González kicks arse. Had his album for ages, but I think it's unlikely to be a racism problem. I mean, who'd guess that he's swedish?

Very true. But he's classically trained so that's why they let him in without a heartbeat's hesitation. Gotta admit that his crosses rule.

I can see how laws are needed to stop the system crashing but in an industry such as football the laws aren't relevant. The quality of Chile's national team, or even the amount of caps a player has really has no place being used as a judge of whether he is allowed to work in the country. Say the Chile manager has an argument about the weather with a player when he first meets him and so never picks him; are we saying it's acceptable that he can never work in the EU because of this?

Football is a creative vocation and ability is very subjective. You can't say there are Brits who can perform the job already as it's not your call. If on of the stars of City of God (Brazilians) was set to be cast in a new movie over here would there be a panel sitting in judgement over Brazil's film industry and how prolific the person had been before that? "Actually you'll have to cast bumface Affleck cos your acting genius isn't well known enough"

It's nonsense.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason people are missing the point is because there isnt one or atleast it is a pointless one at best. The EU and its laws permit the free movement of trade between countries and as a result you dont need a work permit. What are you advocating, that movement of trade and workers should be universal and thus no need for work permits?

Exactly.

The reason people are missing the point is because there isnt one or atleast it is a pointless one at best. The EU and its laws permit the free movement of trade between countries and as a result you dont need a work permit. What are you advocating, that movement of trade and workers should be universal and thus no need for work permits?

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

It seems you once again missed my point concerning the EU, so I'll repeat it one last time: The EU does not allow you to discriminate against an individual of the member states on the basis of nationality.

Not only can you, you have to. If not, you end up with a farcical system like the current one.

All of the other reasons? Would that be 'just coming back from injury' and 'low wages'? I hope not, because they don't carry much weight in this for obvious reasons.

You don't seem to understand - the law was not made just for this application, it has to apply across the board, and not just for football. You cannot go on the word of the employer who wants to bring in cheap labour from overseas - "honest, I just want these two hundred chinese workers to come in and work in my meat-packing factory because I can't find any EU workers with the right skills, it's not just because they are cheap"!

The other factors I mentioned would have been taken into account by the panel. The fact that he is just coming back from long-term injury meant that there were doubts as to whether he would fully recover. The fact that he was not going to be among the higher earners at the club might suggest that he is here because he is a cheaper option, and not because he is particularly talented.

I agree that in this case, the decision was probably wrong. But on the whole the system is about right, and no-one has yet come up with an alternative that would do the job any better i.e. allow the most talented non-EU players in, without flooding the game with average players who just happen to be cheap.

It seems you once again missed my point concerning the EU, so I'll repeat it one last time: The EU does not allow you to discriminate against an individual of the member states on the basis of nationality.

Not only can you, you have to. If not, you end up with a farcical system like the current one.

All of the other reasons? Would that be 'just coming back from injury' and 'low wages'? I hope not, because they don't carry much weight in this for obvious reasons.

You don't seem to understand - the law was not made just for this application, it has to apply across the board, and not just for football. You cannot go on the word of the employer who wants to bring in cheap labour from overseas - "honest, I just want these two hundred chinese workers to come in and work in my meat-packing factory because I can't find any EU workers with the right skills, it's not just because they are cheap"!

The other factors I mentioned would have been taken into account by the panel. The fact that he is just coming back from long-term injury meant that there were doubts as to whether he would fully recover. The fact that he was not going to be among the higher earners at the club might suggest that he is here because he is a cheaper option, and not because he is particularly talented.

I agree that in this case, the decision was probably wrong. But on the whole the system is about right, and no-one has yet come up with an alternative that would do the job any better i.e. allow the most talented non-EU players in, without flooding the game with average players who just happen to be cheap.

How about we work out that he'll be paying about £5k in tax a week and let him in?

How about we work out that he'll be paying about £5k in tax a week and let him in?