You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

I know very little about the fella, but by all accounts (including many supposedly in the know) he just might be our next manager. Good things I’ve read; 1. - He won the league with Sporting Lisbon who are traditionally Portugal’s third strongest team in 2022, and he is on track to do it again this season. Bad things I’ve read; 1. He’s big mates with Mourinho.

Anyway, some relevant shit on his coaching ability:

There plenty on these videos that gives you hope he is a good manager with a few similarities to Klopp with player relationships, communications being a big thing for him. But ever since villas Boas cleaning up at Porto and having success in europe and being a downright failure over here im a bit worried about Portuguese coaches

• Upvote 1

He won the league in his first season after taking over in the March of the season before

He spent 42ml and brough in 52ml so a -10ml net spend 

2019/20 then 2020/21 after

Primeira Liga    4th - 1st

Taça de Portugal   3rd round - 5th round

Taça da Liga    Semi-finals -Winners

UEFA Europa League    Round of 32 - Playoff round (lost to LASK)

2021/22

Spent 27ml, sold 16ml Net Spend +10ml

Primeira Liga  2nd(85pts,same as last season lost title by 6pts)

Taça de Portugal    Semi-finals

Taça da Liga    Winners

UEFA Champions League(knocked Dortmund out in groups, got battered by City)

2022/23

Spent 53ml, sold 131ml Net Spend -78ml

Team was gutted due to Sporting having no money, Lost both fullbacks(Porro and Mendes to Spurs and PSG) and (Paulinha and Nunes to Fulham and City)

Primeira Liga   4th

Taça de Portugal    Third round

Taça da Liga    Runners-up

UEFA Champions League   Group stage - Tough group with Spurs,Frankfurt and Marseille finished 3rd

UEFA Europa League    Quarter-finals Beat Arsenal and then lost 2-1 to Juventus despite being the better team both games

2023/23

Bought 60ml Sold 124ml Net Spend -71ml

Primeira Liga  1st(1pt clear with a game in hand on Benfica who they play next weekend)

Taça de Portugal    Semi-finals 2-1 from 1st leg against Benfica(game is 2/4 so playing Benfica away in cup and home in the league this week.

Taça da Liga    Semi-finals(lost to Braga)

UEFA Europa League    Round of 16 lost to Atalanta

Not done especially well in Europe though loses to Juve and Atalanta are not poor all things considered. 

If he wins the league and cup this year that will give him 2 titles and 3 Taca in 4 seasons while having a net spend of 

-149ml and rebuilding his squad the whole time. 

Plenty of question marks over him and there is de Zerbi and Naglesman

I’ve mentioned a few times on here I live in Portugal and Sporting are my boys. I’d be totally underwhelmed if we went for Rúby. The season he won the league, both Benfica and Porto sold chunks of their squad and Sporting were heavily stacked in quality. Exact same thing has happened this season. Definitely not overachieving and it would be a massive disappointment if we don’t win the Primera this season. The League is probably the most mediocre I’ve ever seen it. The best player in the league is some Swedish bum we bought off Coventry. There’s not been much about Amorim going to LFC in the Portuguese press. So wont be sticking my 10 Escudos just yet..

• Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

I’ve mentioned a few times on here I live in Portugal and Sporting are my boys. I’d be totally underwhelmed if we went for Rúby. The season he won the league, both Benfica and Porto sold chunks of their squad and Sporting were heavily stacked in quality. Exact same thing has happened this season. Definitely not overachieving and it would be a massive disappointment if we don’t win the Primera this season. The League is probably the most mediocre I’ve ever seen it. The best player in the league is some Swedish bum we bought off Coventry. There’s not been much about Amorim going to LFC in the Portuguese press. So wont be sticking my 10 Escudos just yet..

The only actually useful post on here in the last 24 hours. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

The only actually useful post on here in the last 24 hours. 

On the other hand, Porto finished only 2 points and Benfica 1 point worse off respectively than the previous season while Sporting gained 25 points year on year when they won the league.

8 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Having looked at Wikipedia, it’s clear why I don’t remember him.

In the 9 years he was “playing” for Benfica, he only managed 95 appearances. It sounds like a no-show job.

They called him The Portuguese Naby Keita.

15 hours ago, Lee909 said:

There plenty on these videos that gives you hope he is a good manager with a few similarities to Klopp with player relationships, communications being a big thing for him. But ever since villas Boas cleaning up at Porto and having success in europe and being a downright failure over here im a bit worried about Portuguese coaches

I think this is key. Klopp has everybody’s respect because he is a leader of men. Xabi would have everybody’s respect because of what a great and decorated player he was 

Amorim obviously didn’t have the career of Xabi, so he needs to make up the gap in personality stakes. Reading about him today, it does seem that he’s a magnetic character….

…something AVB lacked in all departments! 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I think this is key. Klopp has everybody’s respect because he is a leader of men. Xabi would have everybody’s respect because of what a great and decorated player he was 

Amorim obviously didn’t have the career of Xabi, so he needs to make up the gap in personality stakes. Reading about him today, it does seem that he’s a magnetic character….

…something AVB lacked in all departments! 

Klopp admits he was an average player himself. The respect he has had to be earned.

The only thing I can really tell tactically at a glance is that he seems completely wedded to playing 3 centre backs. I think he has played almost every game in a back 3/5. Otherwise, it seems quite varied in style.

If he becomes manager, there's no question whatsoever that we're signing a left footed centre back. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The only thing I can really tell tactically at a glance is that he seems completely wedded to playing 3 centre backs. I think he has played almost every game in a back 3/5. Otherwise, it seems quite varied in style.

If he becomes manager, there's no question whatsoever that we're signing a left footed centre back. 

He would probably want to bring Inacio with him. 

PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS

Inácio’s ascent is underscored by 123 appearances for Sporting CP, a testament to his consistency and durability. At 22, this left-footed centre-back has already made his mark on the international stage with Portugal. His statistics speak to a defensive solidity, with an impressive track record of tackles and blocks that suggest a maturity well beyond his years. A young player with over 100 appearances and International experience certainly fits the description of an LFC signing in terms of sample size

.COMPARATIVE ASSESSMENT

Examining Inácio alongside Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk reveals compelling insights. In the 2023-24 season, Inácio’s defensive contributions are formidable, with a total of 17 tackles compared to van Dijk’s 16, and 12 interceptions over van Dijk’s 8, showcasing Inácio’s keen positional sense and anticipatory skills. Furthermore, Inácio has a higher block count, registering 14 to van Dijk’s 6, indicating a proactive defensive stance. While van Dijk’s experience and presence are unmatched, Inácio’s comparable per-90-minutes stats suggest he could be a valuable asset to any top-tier team’s backline. He’s no Virgil by any means, especially in terms of aerial supremacy, but left-footed centre backs are gold dust at the moment.

FBCharts-Goncalo-Inacio-1068x1221.png

• dave u changed the title to Ruben Amorim