You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 3 Southampton 0 - Match Reaction

The kids did it again! Goals from 18 year old Youth Team duo Lewis Koumas and Jayden Danns saw off Southampton at Anfield as the young Reds set up a quarter final clash at Castle Greyskull.

Chris Smith is joined by John Brennan and TLW Editor Dave Usher to bask in the glory of another great night for the Academy and to look ahead to the game at Forest this weekend.

View full article

• Upvote 6

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Dan Vito Corleone said:

"Castle Greyskull" will never, ever fail to make me laugh. 

You see… this is my only beef with the pod, Castle Greyskull is for the good  guys, Snake mountain would be more apt, no?

I reckon @RedKnight will back me up on this. 

Great pod though, lads. 

John B is a top statto. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Nothing I can do about that. All I can do is post it to the feed and then it gets picked up by all the different pod platforms. Usually it's apple that randomly takes ages.

Certainly is! 

37 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

You see… this is my only beef with the pod, Castle Greyskull is for the good  guys, Snake mountain would be more apt, no?

I reckon @RedKnight will back me up on this. 

Great pod though, lads. 

John B is a top statto. 

Hmmm..... I would argue against this. Because when it comes to He Man and the Masters of the Universe, the star of the show was, always has been and always will be Skeletor. 

I'd rather Anfield be Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull be Old Trafford because I love 80s/90s cartoon villains and I can't believe we're having this conversation! 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Dan Vito Corleone said:

Hmmm..... I would argue against this. Because when it comes to He Man and the Masters of the Universe, the star of the show was, always has been and always will be Skeletor. 

I'd rather Anfield be Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull be Old Trafford because I love 80s/90s cartoon villains and I can't believe we're having this conversation! 

It’s an interesting take, and one for further discussion, on the flip side I’m not wanting to have a public spat with The Dan/Don as these things rarely end well. 

• Haha 1

I was in 208 last night, not my usual spec. Felt like practically everyone around me was shouting 'SHOOOOT'. It carried on despite me saying loudly that it was small time behaviour. Felt like it was coming from locals mostly too, so can't even blame it on wools.

13 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

I was in 208 last night, not my usual spec. Felt like practically everyone around me was shouting 'SHOOOOT'. It carried on despite me saying loudly that it was small time behaviour***. Felt like it was coming from locals mostly too, so can't even blame it on wools.

***Hard me

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the pod lads. And a big awkward, high five to John for his beautiful dig at Dave at the end of his John O’Shea comments. 

I thought the Kelleher chat was interesting. Unlike Dave and John (I can’t remember if Chris passed a view) I don’t think this season will make any difference to his future. You can’t plan a career on the hope the fella in front of you will get injured. The people advising him will be very clear on that. 

And sharing home and away champions league games is not the solution. I know it was just an off the cuff comment, but what if it’s been a poor campaign and we need to win out last group game? You’re then reneging? You have a first choice keeper and that person plays every PL, CL and late round FA Cup game. That’s that. 

Also, at 25 and having been key for us quite a few times in recent years, he’s still sitting on “only” £10k a week? I sincerely hope they’ve given him some big recent bonuses?  The talk about Nottingham Forest was all fair, but Celtic are in for him too. Yes, the league is utter shite, but it’s a big club, he’ll be in the CL and will be challenging for leagues and cups, and he’ll get a good pay rise, certainly similar to the eventual pay rise he’d get here if he signed a new contract. 

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Thanks for the pod lads. And a big awkward, high five to John for his beautiful dig at Dave at the end of his John O’Shea comments. 

I thought the Kelleher chat was interesting. Unlike Dave and John (I can’t remember if Chris passed a view) I don’t think this season will make any difference to his future. You can’t plan a career on the hope the fella in front of you will get injured. The people advising him will be very clear on that. 

And sharing home and away champions league games is not the solution. I know it was just an off the cuff comment, but what if it’s been a poor campaign and we need to win out last group game? You’re then reneging? You have a first choice keeper and that person plays every PL, CL and late round FA Cup game. That’s that. 

Also, at 25 and having been key for us quite a few times in recent years, he’s still sitting on “only” £10k a week? I sincerely hope they’ve given him some big recent bonuses?  The talk about Nottingham Forest was all fair, but Celtic are in for him too. Yes, the league is utter shite, but it’s a big club, he’ll be in the CL and will be challenging for leagues and cups, and he’ll get a good pay rise, certainly similar to the eventual pay rise he’d get here if he signed a new contract. 

Johnny, Going to Celtic as an established pro still on the up is admitting you're not good enough.

The leagues he's going for are meaningless, they haven't won a CL game in years and he'll be playing a league one standard of football, at best. He might as well go back home and play for Cork. 

He's far better than that. Probably good enough for half the clubs in the top flight. 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

He's far better than that. Probably good enough for half the clubs in the top flight. 

Maybe the last few weeks has changed people's minds, but as of January not a single PL club showed any interest, and he still remains behind Gavin Bazunu ( who he ? ) for the Republic, so Celtic remain a very tempting destination to my mind.

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Johnny, Going to Celtic as an established pro still on the up is admitting you're not good enough.

The leagues he's going for are meaningless, they haven't won a CL game in years and he'll be playing a league one standard of football, at best. 

It's not that simple Chris.

When your options are battling relegation or moving to a world famous club, then its not as simple as you say above.  Also, you'd be hard pressed to find a football fan in Cork that doesn't at some level support Celtic, either as their first team or second.  And first choice at Celtic will have him first choice at Ireland.

I fully agree that he's far better than the Scottish Premiership, but that might not stop it.  Also, if he continues doing what he's been doing this season, then teams higher then Forest will be in for him anyway.

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Maybe the last few weeks has changed people's minds, but as of January not a single PL club showed any interest, and he still remains behind Gavin Bazunu ( who he ? ) for the Republic, so Celtic remain a very tempting destination to my mind.

can't imagine him going to Scotland.  He can go there in 15 years.  

29 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

It's not that simple Chris.

When your options are battling relegation or moving to a world famous club, then its not as simple as you say above.  Also, you'd be hard pressed to find a football fan in Cork that doesn't at some level support Celtic, either as their first team or second.  And first choice at Celtic will have him first choice at Ireland.

I fully agree that he's far better than the Scottish Premiership, but that might not stop it.  Also, if he continues doing what he's been doing this season, then teams higher then Forest will be in for him anyway.

He'd be better off at Forest than standing about like a dickhead in the mud away at Ross County in January with fuck all to do. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

I dunno, man. What's the point in playing friendlies and qualifiers for Ireland when they never qualify for anything? They haven't made a World Cup in 2022 years and last made the Euros in 2016. 

As a newbie to the podcasts I am enjoying them enormously and listening to this weeks and the comments around the number of games we are likely to play I had a thought about next season and when we will be under new management.

The last time we went for all four competitions it ended with heartbreak in the league and Champions League. That knocked us for six at the start of the next season and we were frankly dreadful for much of the season. 

My fear is that if this happens again then any new manager will not have built up the rapport and goodwill from the fans and will be under immediate pressure should this happen. Curious to know your thoughts on that.

Also, Chris is really Richard Ayoade in disguise? Vocally very similar!

• dave u unpinned this topic